+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What do the Gods of the Vigil look like?

Default What do the Gods of the Vigil look like?

Not sure whether it's been asked already, but I'm wondering what the Gods of the Vigil look like. I've noticed the shrines and in particular the one that looks like an owl. So does this mean the Gods are animals?

So far I've discovered Thontic's shrine which is a robed man with a staff, Tavril's shrine is the weird looking wooden thing with the floating orb? I think Mariel-Taun's shrine is the owl... haven't seen the others

Plane Touched

There is also the "Statue of Thontic" in Codex, which I believe is a robed man holding a glowing ball in his palms.
    Argizeos - Rank 52 - Wolfsbane

RIP Chlorolock

Since they are "gods," their form is sort of a moot point: they can assume whatever form they wish. Tavril, for instance, being the goddess of nature; can assume the forms of any of "her" creatures that she may wish to be. Personally, I see the "gods" as being creatures of will without substance unless/until they need to have a form to interact with someone/something. The Bloodstorm, imo, assume Dragon-form mostly for the might, and for the terror they instill in other creatures. Just my two coppers....

RIFT Community Ambassador Morvick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeyez View Post
    The Bloodstorm, imo, assume Dragon-form mostly for the might, and for the terror they instill in other creatures. Just my two coppers....
    I forget the source, but it's been stated that the Blood Storm's true form is not actually Dragons, but that these forms are convenient stand-ins for the incorporeal power that each "Dragon" truly is composed of.

And the same thing is for Gods. I would assume that if they had a most common form, it'd be of the bipedal races. Many systems of religion and mythology have their Gods as representations of perfect humans, but then many religions/mythologies do not (such as Animal gods or celestial gods). If we ever do see the Vigil gods, though, I suspect they'll be in "human" form, perhaps with Tavril as a meta-Elf and Bahralt as a meta-Dwarf, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Plane Walker

Im forming a theory recently that the Dragon's are actually just Avatars of the Bloodstorm. I originally thought that maybe the Dragons invaded the planes and took over that element but recently with some of the new lore Ive been playing though Ive started to suspect that the Dragons were originally just powerful elemental demons who got pumped up on Bloodstorm juice. That would suggest there is a force or power behind the throne as such.

If thats the case, high power gods, such as the Vigil and the Bloodstorm be far less 'physical' than we tend to imagine. It could be they take a physical form by bestowing a portion of themselves in physical creature. That would explain alot about the various Spirit messengers of the Vigil and why the Vigil relies on Sourcestone to commune with Telara.

Quote Originally Posted by Lutinz View Post
    Im forming a theory recently that the Dragon's are actually just Avatars of the Bloodstorm. I originally thought that maybe the Dragons invaded the planes and took over that element but recently with some of the new lore Ive been playing though Ive started to suspect that the Dragons were originally just powerful elemental demons who got pumped up on Bloodstorm juice. That would suggest there is a force or power behind the throne as such.

If thats the case, high power gods, such as the Vigil and the Bloodstorm be far less 'physical' than we tend to imagine. It could be they take a physical form by bestowing a portion of themselves in physical creature. That would explain alot about the various Spirit messengers of the Vigil and why the Vigil relies on Sourcestone to commune with Telara.
    Well... it could be said that while ALMOST ALL of Greenscale, and the 'evil Life Bloodstorm etc' energy is... *Greenscale the Dragon* .... its not the fact that he is a dragon that counts. His energy is in Greenscale, but it is also bestowed upon others, or cultivated in other energies, or collects in various vessels, and so on.

So it comes down to the planar energy, not the physical form. We Ascended are the agents of Sourcestone/Telaran energy, but the Blood Storm are agents of the Planes, once you take the 'physical' aspect of it away from everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    So it comes down to the planar energy, not the physical form. We Ascended are the agents of Sourcestone/Telaran energy, but the Blood Storm are agents of the Planes, once you take the 'physical' aspect of it away from everything.
    Precisely. The Planes and their beings exist whether they touch Sourcestone or not, but they're made "real" and given physical form whenever they converge upon a given mass of Sourcestone.

I look at the Motes of Greenscale/Akylios as their supercharged Sourcestone "stuff" that still holds their energy, even though the creature/spirit itself has been put on ice. Even in Regulos' case, where we keep finding these Remnants of Aedraxis (which are comparable to Dragon Motes), he still exists but cannot manifest himself without Sourcestone.

So in the case of the Messenger of the Vigil, she is always there. You just need one of four things to see her:
    1) Omen Sight, to peer beyond the Ward and into the multiple realities surrounding you. There are at least six Messengers flying inside Sanctum at all times, and several more lofting about outside.
    2) A Sourcestone Offering, to help give form to that lovely blade-armed lady. It's much like blood offerings for ancient religions, except this form of offering provides the direct benefit of giving the Messenger matter and power with which to work miracles and make herself capable of interacting in the "real" world.
    3) Gotta be dead. This is your "Planar" self moving around without any Sourcestone to tie it down, and thus you can see her in her natural state only while dead. Again.
    4) Be near a powered-up Wardstone. It calls back to number 2, but the sheer mass of pure Sourcestone allows her to fly nearby, granting a powerful boon (+20% kickass) to any nearby Guardians.

The same might be true of the Gods of the Vigil, but equally, it may not. Ascended are neither Mortal nor God, they are masters of both worlds (physical and ephemeral), but preferring the physical. The Messenger is a step beyond them, again interacting with both the spirit and the mortal realms but preferring the spiritual. The Gods may represent the final end of the spectrum, with Mortals at the other end. A Messenger of the Vigil is thus able to commune directly with the Gods in ways that Magitech and Ascended cannot. She may be the only one who knows what they look like -- or, is that why she's been blinded? She comments that her eyes are bound shut to seal in the tears she constantly weeps for the heretics that befoul Telara and those who are damned by their nature, for so great is her grief for them all. That's paraphrasing of course. =]

Here we are talking about her as if she's one person, when we've all seen her in multiple places at the same time. Lol, transient beings...
    Last edited by Morvick; 10-16-2011 at 09:20 PM.
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

While I think it's valid to say the Gods of the Vigil may not have physical form, unless they choose to in communicating with Ascended, I also think it would be interesting if they turned out to be either aliens or something similar to the Blood Storm.
    Tbh, though, I don't really know much about the Vigil. Maybe there was in game lore that I missed, but I find it a bit unnerving that I'm a Guardian and yet I don't really know anything about the beings that brought me back to life to fight for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift Chaser View Post
    While I think it's valid to say the Gods of the Vigil may not have physical form, unless they choose to in communicating with Ascended, I also think it would be interesting if they turned out to be either aliens or something similar to the Blood Storm.
    Tbh, though, I don't really know much about the Vigil. Maybe there was in game lore that I missed, but I find it a bit unnerving that I'm a Guardian and yet I don't really know anything about the beings that brought me back to life to fight for them.
    It's allll about the faith.

I have no doubt that in later...much later...content, the Guardians will be still faithful warriors of the Vigil, but:
    1)The Defiants will find out a lot more practical stuff about the Vigil than the Guardians will ever truly know. Secrets, plans, and the range of their abilities. Stuff the Guardians takes on assumption, but the Defiants will measure and investigate. Stuff the Guardians won't want the Defiants to know, as it may compromise their own vision of their gods..
    2)BUT the Guardians will also learn terrible things about the Defiants. Orphiel, Asha, sourcestone, etc could fit into this. Orphiel and his timelines especially..as hinted by Omen Sight in Sanctum.

Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    It's allll about the faith.

I have no doubt that in later...much later...content, the Guardians will be still faithful warriors of the Vigil, but:
    1)The Defiants will find out a lot more practical stuff about the Vigil than the Guardians will ever truly know. Secrets, plans, and the range of their abilities. Stuff the Guardians takes on assumption, but the Defiants will measure and investigate. Stuff the Guardians won't want the Defiants to know, as it may compromise their own vision of their gods..
    2)BUT the Guardians will also learn terrible things about the Defiants. Orphiel, Asha, sourcestone, etc could fit into this. Orphiel and his timelines especially..as hinted by Omen Sight in Sanctum.

I really like this idea

I was about to say the faith bit, haha. For a Guardian character and equally a Guardian player, there's that element of faith that you've not been led down the wrong street. My assumption is that each Faction is equally validated in their beliefs and methods of saving the world, so the Vigil Gods must be powerful and wise -- there just may be something barring them from interacting with the physical world, which would be a great reason to create Ascended. Learning portions of their plan (something the Defiant may be totally uninterested in) during later Expacks would be really good.

If nothing else, I want to fight alongside the Messenger of the Vigil as she unloads a limitless can of whoop-***. Would be so cool, haha.

Plane Walker

Faith and Mystery

Quote Originally Posted by Morvick View Post
    I was about to say the faith bit, haha. For a Guardian character and equally a Guardian player, there's that element of faith that you've not been led down the wrong street. My assumption is that each Faction is equally validated in their beliefs and methods of saving the world, so the Vigil Gods must be powerful and wise -- there just may be something barring them from interacting with the physical world, which would be a great reason to create Ascended. Learning portions of their plan (something the Defiant may be totally uninterested in) during later Expacks would be really good.

If nothing else, I want to fight alongside the Messenger of the Vigil as she unloads a limitless can of whoop-***. Would be so cool, haha.
    They can still be powerful and wise and still withhold much... important information to the player, until they see the player as 'worthy' (and even then..). They can still keep certain things from the Guardians, in order to promote their plan for the harmony of the planes/Telara. This is NOT 'evil' really, but just shows the semi-parental aspect of their relationship towards the Guardians.

But there will may be darker things that the Defiants discover that the Guardians will not. This could include things like the Vigil gods' origins, their relationship to each other, their 'location' in the universe, their views in respect to characters like Kain and Alsbeth, and their more exact limitations and abilities. I think the Guardians learn what they have to know, while the Defiants keep pushing beyond that. It does NOT cheapen the relationship to the Vigil as a Guardian, since as a faithful Guardian you'll still support the Vigil even after learning these things, but it would be enough for a Defiant to feel vindicated in their own faction's beliefs.

Same goes on the other way. Perhaps something like: Orphiel is the founder of the Defiants and therefore indirectly enabled the saving of Freemarch and Gloamwood etc, but if there is dark stuff to him, the Defiants can just feel like they're 'fixing things' by dealing with Orphiel, yet a Guardian would feel more justified in condemning the Defiants as a whole, depending on what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Morvick View Post

The winged ladies are totally under-utilised. Would be interesting to see them become characters in the overall story and to have some content where one or more of them does some *** kicking (with our help).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast