+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 50
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: I love all the new lore added :)

  1. #1
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    447

    Default I love all the new lore added :)

    it inspires me to play again the character of a Cleric and learn how the souls of a Druid and Purifier might work together.

  2. #2
    Ascendant Satiar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    San Diego, Cali
    Posts
    2,238

    Default

    New Lore?! WHERE?!
    Officer of Legacy, Keenblade.

    Prestige Rank 8 -- 4/10 HK -- Rogue

  3. #3
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    447

    Default

    The story quest, Travel Stone

    a little bug? that I found funny in this, is when I was first trying to decipher the music, and got it wrong, my character got transported from Meridian into Sanctum
    Last edited by Mythue; 10-15-2011 at 06:17 AM.

  4. #4
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    479

    Default

    This seemed the closest thread related to what I wanted to post so here goes.

    Doing Phase 3 of the Ashes of History, we are getting into the final part of the story of the travel stones before we start using them.

    Ive been wondering why we have both Ports and the Stones to get around and why they seem so similiar. Looking at what the quests have said about the Stones it seems that both sides agree that A) Thontic was probably involved in their creation and B) the stones are anceint far predating the coming of the Dragons.

    That makes me think that the Ports quite possibly were built after Akylios hid the Travel Stones as sort of a backup system. Orginially only the Ascended seemed able to use the Ports while everyone can use the stones.

    Makes you wonder a bit what Telara was like prior to the Ward.

  5. #5
    Ascendant Maeloda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    7,617

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutinz View Post
    This seemed the closest thread related to what I wanted to post so here goes.

    Doing Phase 3 of the Ashes of History, we are getting into the final part of the story of the travel stones before we start using them.

    Ive been wondering why we have both Ports and the Stones to get around and why they seem so similiar. Looking at what the quests have said about the Stones it seems that both sides agree that A) Thontic was probably involved in their creation and B) the stones are anceint far predating the coming of the Dragons.

    That makes me think that the Ports quite possibly were built after Akylios hid the Travel Stones as sort of a backup system. Orginially only the Ascended seemed able to use the Ports while everyone can use the stones.

    Makes you wonder a bit what Telara was like prior to the Ward.
    Likely a lot less chaotic looking, that's for sure :P Likely much more trade going on between lands, by land and sea (imo we'll find out about further lands in another continent at some point), and most of the ruins we see would have been actual structures (Freemarch, Moonshade, Scarwood). Portaculums likely didn't exist, and travel stones were spread out much further, to facilitate communication and transportation to further off lands. Lore-wise, I wouldn't expect the stones to be useful for large cargo or larger groups of people, so boats and land travel would still be very needed, and I'm sure that travel stones are still rather rare, and Thontic likely would have wanted Telarans to actually explore and experience the land they created (ironic when you put this in MMO terms! lol).

    What I dislike is the over reliance in this game on instant-teleportation tools. It takes a lot out of any sense of adventure.
    Sometimes I want to try a larger-scale MMO just to experience a true sense of travel in the game world. I hear DAOC and Star Wars Galaxies were good for this?

  6. #6
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    Likely a lot less chaotic looking, that's for sure :P Likely much more trade going on between lands, by land and sea (imo we'll find out about further lands in another continent at some point), and most of the ruins we see would have been actual structures (Freemarch, Moonshade, Scarwood). Portaculums likely didn't exist, and travel stones were spread out much further, to facilitate communication and transportation to further off lands. Lore-wise, I wouldn't expect the stones to be useful for large cargo or larger groups of people, so boats and land travel would still be very needed, and I'm sure that travel stones are still rather rare, and Thontic likely would have wanted Telarans to actually explore and experience the land they created (ironic when you put this in MMO terms! lol).

    What I dislike is the over reliance in this game on instant-teleportation tools. It takes a lot out of any sense of adventure.
    Sometimes I want to try a larger-scale MMO just to experience a true sense of travel in the game world. I hear DAOC and Star Wars Galaxies were good for this?
    I get what you mean. I suspect the Travel Stones were as much made to fit current game mechanic options as for their lore. I am impressed that Trion has tied a game mechanic so well into lore. The travelstones hint at a forgotten past (made me wonder what other marvels may be buried out there) and the fact that stepping though one is often stepping into the unknown.

    Still it would be nice to have some more conventional exploration means. Im not sure how they would do it but hopping around too much does make you lose sight of the world your playing in. Its one of the reasons I hope they never do flying mounts.

    Also there is so much potential in things like naval activities. I looked at some of the entries into the Create a collosus contest and had this image pop into my head of a naval fight on a series of boats agianst a towering sea collosus. IE. this : http://browse.deviantart.com/contest...et=96#/d3jdrl3

    I know that such a fight is pretty unrealistic with current tech but its sort of the going to unconquered lands feeling.

    Still they have done well with the Lore for the Travel Stones. Im wondering if they were made prior to the creation of the Dwarves or after them. I get the feeling that alot of the time the Gods guide and bless others in the creation of their wonders rather than doing it directly.

  7. #7
    Plane Walker Xerokine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutinz View Post
    That makes me think that the Ports quite possibly were built after Akylios hid the Travel Stones as sort of a backup system. Orginially only the Ascended seemed able to use the Ports while everyone can use the stones.
    Actually, the Porticulums also predate the Ward. 'Annette Kostral' in Argent Glade says this when you turn in your first Port quest:

    "Not everything from the planes is evil and corrupt. Before the dragons despoiled the planar realms, there existed pathways through the elements that were blessed by the gods. See here one of the last remaining to us: the planar porticulum."


    Notice she says 'one of the last remaining', which means Porticulums were not the only method of transport. It's possible Porticulums acted as 'Stargates' - you can only travel from one gate to another existing gate, and need to know where it is before you can go there - while the Travel Stones acted as Star Trek-esque transporters - you have to start at the platform, but you can go basically anywhere you want.

    Why the Porticulums only work for Ascended now, I dunno. It may be due to their age - perhaps only an Ascended can survive the journey now that it's so deteriorated.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

    *Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

  8. #8
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    447

    Default

    "Actually, the Porticulums also predate the Ward. 'Annette Kostral' in Argent Glade says this when you turn in your first Port quest:

    "Not everything from the planes is evil and corrupt. Before the dragons despoiled the planar realms, there existed pathways through the elements that were blessed by the gods. See here one of the last remaining to us: the planar porticulum."

    Notice she says 'one of the last remaining', which means Porticulums were not the only method of transport. It's possible Porticulums acted as 'Stargates' - you can only travel from one gate to another existing gate, and need to know where it is before you can go there - while the Travel Stones acted as Star Trek-esque transporters - you have to start at the platform, but you can go basically anywhere you want."


    I wonder if the Ancestors of the Bahmi travelled through the Travel Stones when they first came to Telara. Did they appear before the rifts? or if any others from the planes appeared as well, using these travel stones. Did Thontic want us to discover this way of travel, a travel to and from other planes and Akylios wished this to remain hidden.

  9. #9
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    447

    Default

    http://www.riftgame.com/en/races/bahmi.php

    I re-read of the Bahmi, the Shalastiri came through a rift from the plane of air, so now I wonder will the Travel Stones allow them at some point to return to this plane.:)

  10. #10
    Sword of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mythue View Post
    http://www.riftgame.com/en/races/bahmi.php

    I re-read of the Bahmi, the Shalastiri came through a rift from the plane of air, so now I wonder will the Travel Stones allow them at some point to return to this plane.
    The Shalastiri that came to Telara are long, LONG dead. Their descendants, the Bahmi, may very well choose to go to the Plane of Air (assuming Crucia doesn't outlast Regulos or anything crazy like that)... but if they do, it will NOT be through the Travel Stones. Travel Stones are meant for Telaran travel. To go into the planes themselves, I'd imagine you'd have to basically find a way to enter a rift and hope the planar energies didn't rip your flesh apart.

  11. #11
    Ascendant Maeloda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    7,617

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Terram View Post
    The Shalastiri that came to Telara are long, LONG dead. Their descendants, the Bahmi, may very well choose to go to the Plane of Air (assuming Crucia doesn't outlast Regulos or anything crazy like that)... but if they do, it will NOT be through the Travel Stones. Travel Stones are meant for Telaran travel. To go into the planes themselves, I'd imagine you'd have to basically find a way to enter a rift and hope the planar energies didn't rip your flesh apart.
    Well there could still be pure Shalastiri in a far off land, so I don't count that out.

    Otherwise they may still be in the Plane of Air. Maybe.

    I'm getting a WoW vibe from them though (Draenei..), so to fight evil Shalastiri seems likely in my mind... lol.

  12. #12
    Plane Walker Xerokine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    475

    Default

    Any Shalastiri on Telara would be long dead; they were trapped here after the Ward was built 1,500 years ago. Their bloodline only survives because they bred with humans to create their descendants, the Bahmi. As far as Shalastiri still in the Plane of Air, I'd be sure of it. I doubt their entire civilization migrated to Telara during the Age of Dragons. It'll be interesting, if and when we get an expansion to travel to the planes themselves, to see the Bahmi interact with their ancestor race.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

    *Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

  13. #13
    Ascendant Maeloda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    7,617

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xerokine View Post
    Any Shalastiri on Telara would be long dead; they were trapped here after the Ward was built 1,500 years ago. Their bloodline only survives because they bred with humans to create their descendants, the Bahmi. As far as Shalastiri still in the Plane of Air, I'd be sure of it. I doubt their entire civilization migrated to Telara during the Age of Dragons. It'll be interesting, if and when we get an expansion to travel to the planes themselves, to see the Bahmi interact with their ancestor race.
    Lore doesn't need to be so constricting. Anything could be made up. A number of Shalastiri 'could' have went to mainland Telara and get 'stranded', but others could have found a way to continue their line, in a far off land.

    Certainly not saying it would or should happen, just that hey, anything can be made up regarding them since the lore is so sparce right now.

    But yeah, I'd prefer the Plane of Air option

  14. #14
    Plane Walker Xerokine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    Lore doesn't need to be so constricting. Anything could be made up. A number of Shalastiri 'could' have went to mainland Telara and get 'stranded', but others could have found a way to continue their line, in a far off land.
    Well, I mean, even in a far off land, they'd still be 'stranded' here. No matter where they were on Telara when the Ward was built, it meant they were all trapped on Telara from that point forth. While it's certainly possible that enough Shalastiri came through that they could maintain a stable population for a thousand years, I'd agree with you that it's not very likely. It'd probably be a lot easier, both from a gameplay and lore perspective, simply to use those Shalastiri who stayed in their home plane.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

    *Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

  15. #15
    Rift Disciple Hawkeyez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xerokine View Post
    Any Shalastiri on Telara would be long dead; they were trapped here after the Ward was built 1,500 years ago. Their bloodline only survives because they bred with humans to create their descendants, the Bahmi. As far as Shalastiri still in the Plane of Air, I'd be sure of it. I doubt their entire civilization migrated to Telara during the Age of Dragons. It'll be interesting, if and when we get an expansion to travel to the planes themselves, to see the Bahmi interact with their ancestor race.
    This would be the likeliest option: in any emigration, the majority do not leave their "homeland" for another place. The only question, after centuries of domination by a dragon, how many would be left who resisted?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts