+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Guardian side lore?

Default Guardian side lore?

So I have a few questions. They may be noobish questions but I really want to get into the lore. I don't know that much about the Guardians, but I believe we were sent to the future or something like that. I think it was after the opening (tutorial bit) that we were sent in the future. If that's the case though, then what exactly happened in the past that made them want to send us into the future? I thought we were sent into the past first but I think that's the Defiant. Help a poor lore nub out guys

The "life" of Guardian Ascended is as follows:

1. Live as mortal.
    2. Die.
    3. Be resurrected by the Vigil later, if they decide that they need you.
    4. Do whatever you've been told to do.
    5. Die.
    6. Repeat from p.3 ad infinitum.

(reminds me of Forsaken death knights in WoW :) )

Guardian starting zone happens 20 years ago. You (player), Ascended, were tasked with dispatch of Aedraxis, avatar of Regulos. You did it; and you died in the resulting blast. After that you were "put on the shelf" until present time, when Vigil decided that they need you again.

So no, Guardian story does not have any time travel.

Defiant starting zone happens in the alternate future, 20 years from now. In this timeline Guardians destroyed Meridian, thus destroying half of of Telara's defenses against Regulos. As the result of Guardians' actions, Regulos won. Between the destruction of Meridian and the destruction of Telara (Defiant starting zone is the last bit of Telara left) Defiants discovered how to make Ascended with magitech. They made you and sent you to the past - with magitech ascension blueprints - to prevent this future from happening.
    Feminism is the radical notion that women are people.

I don't remember the Guardian dieing. All I remember is defeating Regulos and hovering into the air after you do something to the body. Then wake up in the future. I think there actually is time travel for the Guardian. Pretty sure the Guardiuan didn't die in any blast.

Ascendant

You do die.. Actually, you're having a really bad day.
    You died once in the battle, right before you begin the game, and then you die again after you shatter the shade of adraxis.

You are taken away by the vigil and returned to .. is it Divine Landing ... because they see need in you again. I think its Shyla who says "we watched you die."

RIFT Community Ambassador Morvick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dustfinger View Post
    I don't remember the Guardian dieing. All I remember is defeating Regulos and hovering into the air after you do something to the body. Then wake up in the future. I think there actually is time travel for the Guardian. Pretty sure the Guardiuan didn't die in any blast.
    "Guardian of the Vigil, your sacrifice has saved Telara from destruction. But the world is still in peril..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IDNu...eature=related

You die again (worse than normally, as you're exposed to the Plane of Death), so the Vigil takes some time from the next 20 years to put a spit-shine on you and get you back to fighting condition. You're then dropped off at the "present", which is 20 years before the Defiant alternate-future starter zone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

No, you do die. Pay attention to what the messenger tells you upon appearing "in the future." You've been dead all that time.

Also, all the lore articles from Trion so state that Guardian Ascended are "heroes" brought back from death and - effectively - stuffed with the "souls" of great fighters from the soul-stream to fight the Abyssal forces. The Defiants created their own method of "Ascension" in the future (and brought the plans for it back to their past/our present): they are the only ones tampering with time-travel, that we know of for certain.

I know it's not vogue for the majority of youth today, but take the time out to read the lore that Trion has bothered to post on their website: it'll help you understand what's going on, if you're truly interested in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeyez View Post
    No, you do die. Pay attention to what the messenger tells you upon appearing "in the future." You've been dead all that time.

Also, all the lore articles from Trion so state that Guardian Ascended are "heroes" brought back from death and - effectively - stuffed with the "souls" of great fighters from the soul-stream to fight the Abyssal forces. The Defiants created their own method of "Ascension" in the future (and brought the plans for it back to their past/our present): they are the only ones tampering with time-travel, that we know of for certain.

I know it's not vogue for the majority of youth today, but take the time out to read the lore that Trion has bothered to post on their website: it'll help you understand what's going on, if you're truly interested in it.
    First of all, I'm 30 years old and I think I made it pretty clear that I'm going off of memory of the cut scene. It may be a memory that is flawed but it has nothing to do with random descriptions of a hero brought back from the dead, wich can easily be attributed to the acendants first death. I know it's not vogue for western society but let's try to keep as many assumption out of the equation as possible.

Now, since you are confirmed dead, AFTER the cutscene, I can easily agree the defiant died again. Let's keep it friendly, Cochise.

Thank you Morvick and Mellysa, I stand corrected.

There's also the point that in the last cutscene for the Guardian starting area, you see the area consumed by light after you shatter Aedraxis' body. Now, you don't see what happens after, which leaves it vague - but you do see the result later on, when you reach Stillmoor. The explosion caused by Aedraxis's death creates a tremendously large crater in the center of Mathosia, deforming the entire region with the shockwave. I assume most of the Guardian Ascended were killed in that blast. As for why only Cyril, Shyla, Borrin, and few others were revived right away and the rest were kept "on ice", who knows. Just like I'm not sure why Carwin has never been fully revived, but only acts as a spiritual advisor.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

*Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

Nice. I haven't made it to Mathosia yet. Now I have something to look for when I het there

Quote Originally Posted by Xerokine View Post
    There's also the point that in the last cutscene for the Guardian starting area, you see the area consumed by light after you shatter Aedraxis' body. Now, you don't see what happens after, which leaves it vague - but you do see the result later on, when you reach Stillmoor. The explosion caused by Aedraxis's death creates a tremendously large crater in the center of Mathosia, deforming the entire region with the shockwave. I assume most of the Guardian Ascended were killed in that blast. As for why only Cyril, Shyla, Borrin, and few others were revived right away and the rest were kept "on ice", who knows. Just like I'm not sure why Carwin has never been fully revived, but only acts as a spiritual advisor.
    I actually think Carwin has remained "dead" as a matter of politics. Lotalty to one Mathos or another led to the civil war in the first place, without Zareph or Aedraxis what's to stop the common folk from trying to recreate Mathosia? Considering the Guardian seat is in Sanctum for a reason, and the fact that Cyril would give up the title of Head Honcho in a heart beat, it could lead to more internal strife.
    Last edited by Meharial; 10-10-2011 at 11:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxcalibur View Post
    Verily, Maelforge did say, "Suffer all the bros to come at me!"

Yeah, that piece is canon.

First of all, I'm 30 years old

As I said, youth

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeyez View Post

As I said, youth
    Touche'

But i am a grown man and I do read. Anywho's, I stand corrected

Quote Originally Posted by Meharial View Post
    I actually think Carwin has remained "dead" as a matter of politics. Lotalty to one Mathos or another led to the civil war in the first place, without Zareph or Aedraxis what's to stop the common folk from trying to recreate Mathosia? Considering the Guardian seat is in Sanctum for a reason, and the fact that Cyril would give up the title of Head Honcho in a heart beat, it could lead to more internal strife.
    Eh? What's wrong with trying to recreate Mathosia? Isn't that what the Order of Mathos is doing anyway? Besides, it's not like Carwin was in line for the throne anyway; he was a bastard son. Though I'm curious as to how exactly that came about. Was Carwin older than the twins, Aedraxis and Zareph, or younger? Did Jostir have him after his wife died, or before they married, or during the marriage? Was any of this related to why his wife decided to adopt Alsbeth, and why Jostir ignored her?
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

*Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

RIFT Community Ambassador Morvick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xerokine View Post
    Just like I'm not sure why Carwin has never been fully revived, but only acts as a spiritual advisor.
    If I remember correctly, the given explanation is that he's too damaged by the Plane of Death, given how he died.

However, his being dead DOES serve a functional use, whatever the reasonings. He is able to Ascend heroes just like the Messenger of the Vigil (seen in the Kain storyline in Stilmoor) and he's also able to relay prophesies and forebodings (Scarwood Reach, if I recall correctly...) -- in fact, I believe you could think of him as a male version of the Messengers.

As for Cyril, Shyla, and Borrin... did they even die? As one poster said, Shyla tells you "I watched you die." Hard to do if you're dead as well, yeah? I think you (the Guardian Ascended) took all of the damage onto yourself, save for the blast that rocked the terrain. Hence why it's called a sacrifice, implying you were the only one [severely] damaged by your actions.
    Last edited by Morvick; 10-10-2011 at 01:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast