+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shyla and Hylas

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Default Shyla and Hylas

What significance, if any, should we be attaching to their names being anagrams?
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Sword of Telara

Mind status = blown

None beyond their storyline arch I guess.

Wow! I never realized lol.

But I guess it hints that while Hylas fell to Life/Greenscale, Shyla MAY fall to Death/Regulos.

But as Shyla said, she has given up her love, but not ON love. I have hopes for her

(and hopes her model will be redone to make her look less skanky, ahem)

Ascendant

In the defiant starting area she HAS fallen to Regulose. Perhaps that's the tie in.
    Good catch on the anagram.

Plane Walker

The prophecy of beauty(I think) when you get omen sight suggests that Shyla fell to Regulos out of despair over losing everything. Hylas and the Aelfwar are a major representation of that. I think Shyla's future will depend on weither she can find comfort and support from the Gaurdians to carry her though.

Thats my impression anyway. The Omen Sight Prophecies were pretty cryptic. Only the GP one was obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    What significance, if any, should we be attaching to their names being anagrams?
    Only if they are anagrams in elven language. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...tionConvention
    Feminism is the radical notion that women are people.

Plane Walker

they were meant to be together :)

Quote Originally Posted by Kreiri View Post
    Only if they are anagrams in elven language. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...tionConvention
    Why would their names be translated? Besides, do we even have anything about an elven language in the lore yet? Considering it's the elves who taught the humans everything, the 'Standard' language might be everyone's language.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

*Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

According to some Lore Team Q/A a while back: http://riftrp.net/index.php?topic=1348.0
    Elves are a combination of Irish and Native American names. Many names reference the natural world
    that they strive to protect.
    Doing a little google-ing, the name "Shyla" has a Celtic origin, meaning either "loyal to god" or "fairy palace". I suppose both could be fairly accurate. Shyla is the Pentarch of the Vigil, and Dacia also mocks her and refers to her as a fairy in the GSB chronicles.

Interestingly, Hylas is actually a character in Greek mythology, which, if the link to naming conventions is correct, would be closer to a Kelari name. Studying his concept art/character model, it does look as though his dealing with the fae have left him tainted by life planar energy, similar to the way in which Kelari have become changed by their dealings with spirits and exposure to planar energies. I'm probably reading too much into it, but it's interesting!

Their names being anagrams could represent the schisms within the elven race on a more personal level.
    Eshlon@Greybriar

Quote Originally Posted by Arynite View Post
    According to some Lore Team Q/A a while back: http://riftrp.net/index.php?topic=1348.0

Doing a little google-ing, the name "Shyla" has a Celtic origin, meaning either "loyal to god" or "fairy palace". I suppose both could be fairly accurate. Shyla is the Pentarch of the Vigil, and Dacia also mocks her and refers to her as a fairy in the GSB chronicles.

Interestingly, Hylas is actually a character in Greek mythology, which, if the link to naming conventions is correct, would be closer to a Kelari name. Studying his concept art/character model, it does look as though his dealing with the fae have left him tainted by life planar energy, similar to the way in which Kelari have become changed by their dealings with spirits and exposure to planar energies. I'm probably reading too much into it, but it's interesting!

Their names being anagrams could represent the schisms within the elven race on a more personal level.
    Well, that, and I believe the lore was retconned way back when. They used to be siblings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxcalibur View Post
    Verily, Maelforge did say, "Suffer all the bros to come at me!"

Yeah, that piece is canon.

Surprised to see people hadn't noticed the similarity in names, hell it's not just an anagram it's the same word with the S moved from the beginning to the end. It was one of the first things I noticed in Rift, before I even knew of the connection between the lovers. I just instantly thought all Elven names would be similar.

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    You obviously know nothing about Laethys, have you tried him?
    I don't log in anymore.

RIFT Community Ambassador Morvick's Avatar

I... never noticed this.

I need a beer now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Xerokine View Post
    Why would their names be translated? Besides, do we even have anything about an elven language in the lore yet? Considering it's the elves who taught the humans everything, the 'Standard' language might be everyone's language.
    Different spelling/writing system/whatever. Here's an example, using Ukrainian language:

Shyla - Шайла
    Hylas - Гілас
    Feminism is the radical notion that women are people.

Rift Disciple

Have you ever noticed that Hylas and Shyla share the same name, it's just that the S in in a different spot, guessing they are brother and sister? Shyla being the good sister, and Hylas the evil brother

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast