+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Just curious, why is there a necromancer class?

Default Just curious, why is there a necromancer class?

Don't get me wrong, but...

Every bit of death magic aids Regulos. He's going to eat the world. Heck, he DID eat the world, but then that whole time travel thing happened.

So why would the ascended, who know that any and all death magic aids the main bad guy of their world, go around practicing death magic?

Just curious.

Oh, and of my two characters one of them will be a Necro.
    I bought "Rift: Planes of Telara". Not "Raid: Dungeons of Telara". Account cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Vengeful_Giblets View Post

Every bit of death magic aids Regulos. He's going to eat the world. Heck, he DID eat the world, but then that whole time travel thing happened.

So why would the ascended, who know that any and all death magic aids the main bad guy of their world, go around practicing death magic?

Just curious.

They're not using it to HELP Regulos... they're using it for their own plans. They probably see it as a very powerful tool to stopping rifts. It doesn't seem (to me at least maybe I missed something) that the actual USE of Death magic is the problem, but it is the application. Just as how Life spells don't help the Plane of Life.

Just curious.

I am officially breaking the NDA to disclose this next bit of info.

Get ready to screenshot it because it won't be around long.

If Rift fails, the last ascended soul to be resurrected will be Jenny Craig and she and Regulos will work out a sensible meal plan that is both tasty and healthy, with lots of fiber, to "stay regulos"(sic), for only a small amount of gold per month.

Just curious.

Read the hammerknell story about what happened to the dwarves runes and thier garden. Death magic existed before Regulos he just finds it easier to corrupt and control but he can corrupt anything even life.

"Words May Dazzle, But Actions Will Tell"

Quote Originally Posted by Foralag View Post
    Read the hammerknell story about what happened to the dwarves runes and thier garden. Death magic existed before Regulos he just finds it easier to corrupt and control but he can corrupt anything even life.
    This.

Also, if you read the Necromancer story, they are generally evil. However the first less then evil Necromancer was a girl who was rescued before she could be corrupted. She then chose to use the Necromancer powers against Regulos, rather then for him. Resulting in characters that can now train to be Necromancers and his own powers against him.
    The mind of a perfect man is like a mirror. It grasps nothing. It expects nothing. It reflects but does not hold. Therefore, the perfect man can act without effort.
    New battle theme for the awesome racial changes: Big bouncing Bhami, bravely bounding by bizarre beasts, before battle begins.

Quote Originally Posted by Chandria View Post

If Rift fails, the last ascended soul to be resurrected will be Jenny Craig and she and Regulos will work out a sensible meal plan that is both tasty and healthy, with lots of fiber, to "stay regulos"(sic), for only a small amount of gold per month.
    Regulos(tm) does indeed sound like a diet fiber of some sort :/

Quote Originally Posted by Gwailo View Post
    Regulos(tm) does indeed sound like a diet fiber of some sort :/
    Oddly enough if you try to look up the definition of Regulos the most common result I obtained was this:
    20th Century, from Regulo, trademark for a type of thermostatic control on gas ovens.

Which could imply a dragon since they breath a combustible gas... and perhaps Regulos's thermostatic control is set to "evil?"
    The mind of a perfect man is like a mirror. It grasps nothing. It expects nothing. It reflects but does not hold. Therefore, the perfect man can act without effort.
    New battle theme for the awesome racial changes: Big bouncing Bhami, bravely bounding by bizarre beasts, before battle begins.

Quote Originally Posted by Chandria View Post

More evidence that points to Jenny Craig being the debbil and Soylent Green being the filler in her meals.

Just curious.

/facepalm im amazed at how lazy people are i mean seriously? its right here on the website click mages souls necromancer background then read the end

Quote Originally Posted by TheistAtheist View Post
    /facepalm im amazed at how lazy people are i mean seriously? its right here on the website click mages souls necromancer background then read the end
    link plz
    I bought "Rift: Planes of Telara". Not "Raid: Dungeons of Telara". Account cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantiss View Post
    Oddly enough if you try to look up the definition of Regulos the most common result I obtained was this:
    20th Century, from Regulo, trademark for a type of thermostatic control on gas ovens.
    It reminds me of regulus (a star, and Latin for "little king" if we're making fun of his ambitions, or "prince" if we're not). Exchanging -us for -os gives it a Greek touch because many greek words ending in -os have latin counterparts ending in -us, even though this one isn't one of them. Regulos is also an objective plural form in Latin, but I doubt he has split personality disorder.

My guess: They wanted a fancy word for "prince" and it sounds more menacing with -os.

Quote Originally Posted by thatfool View Post
    It reminds me of regulus (a star, and Latin for "little king" if we're making fun of his ambitions, or "prince" if we're not). Exchanging -us for -os gives it a Greek touch because many greek words ending in -os have latin counterparts ending in -us, even though this one isn't one of them. Regulos is also an objective plural form in Latin, but I doubt he has split personality disorder.

My guess: They wanted a fancy word for "prince" and it sounds more menacing with -os.
    Let us meet half way and land on: Regulos! Prince of thermostatic oven controls!

*comes out of reclusive existence*

Hi!

It's because skellys rock.

Oh, and to be clear, I think every bit of elemental magic (so like, all of it) 'aids' the power of a Dragon, because in its own way, it works with the ether of Telara to interact with the planes. Explosions of this power are manifested in the rifts.

It all exists, and it all existed, so why NOT use it? Regulos is strengthened on Telara the more death rifts open and the more death magic is used, yes, but the entire plane is strengthened as well, and...
    well, I have a theory that not all of the creatures of a plane are really under a Blood Storm's thrall - see: Druids. I think its just that a Dragon is just at the top of the food chain, but many would otherwise be apathetic to the Dragon's existence. They have mutual affinity, so many just follow the Dragon because they can (alternatively, many follow because they are truly with the Dragon).

If we use air magic, we aid Crucia, sure, but what of the race that started the Bahmi? The plane of air gaining ground on Telara brought them in - and they fell in love with the world and its beauty. It's not always bad.
    Last edited by Maeloda; 01-20-2011 at 11:27 PM.

Rift Disciple

link plz
    You'll have to forgive me, I'm not quite certain whether you're serious or not.

In case you were looking for a link: http://www.riftgame.com/en/classes/mage/necromancer.php
    Last edited by Crystal Witch; 01-21-2011 at 04:06 AM. Reason: Emphasis placed on the 'were' in the last sentence.
    Eastern Standard Time (Australia)
    is 15 hours ahead of
    Eastern Standard Time (North America)
    which is 5 hours behind
    Coordinated Universal Time (UTC)
    which is the same as
    Greenwich Mean Time (GMT)

Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    *comes out of reclusive existence*

Hi!

It's because skellys rock.

Oh, and to be clear, I think every bit of elemental magic (so like, all of it) 'aids' the power of a Dragon, because in its own way, it works with the ether of Telara to interact with the planes. Explosions of this power are manifested in the rifts.

It all exists, and it all existed, so why NOT use it? Regulos is strengthened on Telara the more death rifts open and the more death magic is used, yes, but the entire plane is strengthened as well, and...
    well, I have a theory that not all of the creatures of a plane are really under a Blood Storm's thrall - see: Druids. I think its just that a Dragon is just at the top of the food chain, but many would otherwise be apathetic to the Dragon's existence. They have mutual affinity, so many just follow the Dragon because they can (alternatively, many follow because they are truly with the Dragon).

If we use air magic, we aid Crucia, sure, but what of the race that started the Bahmi? The plane of air gaining ground on Telara brought them in - and they fell in love with the world and its beauty. It's not always bad.

A really good example of Rift creatures being possible allies can be seen in the Fae dungeon. That Minotaur boss is down right friendly until he finds out you killed everyone and everything that makes his mead.

+ Reply to Thread