+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Continents and size

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Default Continents and size

I remember coming to the conclusion that the parts of Telara we've seen were small -- like, a smallish continent or a peninsula or something. But! I can't find anything supporting this now, and I see some things claiming the world map so far is the largest continent.

Obviously, I responded by running off to the Chancel of Labors to stare at the globe, and...

I fail. I can't figure out how the in-game continent map maps onto the Chancel of Labors globe. Help?
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

RIFT Community Ambassador Morvick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    I fail. I can't figure out how the in-game continent map maps onto the Chancel of Labors globe. Help?
    This warrants a look at the globe in question... but if I were to guess right now before checking?

The globe you saw was generic, and it's too early in the game for the Devs to decide on the location and size of the world's proportions.

I look at it like The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. The world is implied to be larger, but the actual maps are smaller to allow for greater detail without breaking anything up. In reality Silverwood might be 5 to 10 miles wide, and consist of a series of vales and valleys that form a nice brightly-lit forest. Development-wise, that is seriously taxing the servers to constantly keep track of everything and everyone in even one zone. And imagine the travel times!

Then again, there's a part of me that yearns for such a ridiculously-large game world. One I can literally get hopelessly lost in, and have to claw my way through. Where seeing a town was an honest sign of relief and not "sweet now I can turn in my dailies", but "Oh thank God, finally a place that won't try to kill me and has roads!"

Now, off to check that globe!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Alright, back from globe trotting.

Unfortunately I was right, that globe is meaningless for your purposes. For one it's falling apart and looks dated.
    The real stinker is that each hemisphere is a copy of the other; there were two identical coastlines featuring a west-facing Bay that I identified at opposite sides of the sphere.

It is not a globe of Telara. =[

As for the size of the world, we also need to entertain the idea that Telara is not as big as Earth, possibly not as big as our moon.
    There was no given "tonnage" of the sourcestone that the Gods used to forge Telara, so for all I know our planet is the size of Luna or smaller.
    Last edited by Morvick; 10-01-2011 at 06:54 PM.
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Do we know for certain that Telara isn't flat?
    Feminism is the radical notion that women are people.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreiri View Post
    No, but it'd be a safe assumption (even where others are shaky).

My theory is that Telara is a small planetoid of Sourcestone floating midst a massive nebula in deep space. That's why the nights are not dark, but even purple and orange (that or we have, like, 10 moons or 2 suns to throw around all that light - maybe a Binary System?). The planes intersect at this location, and where they "touch" certain landmasses, those become influenced.

Example; the Oceans are where the Plane of Water covertly "maps over" the sourcestone of the world, and the gods crafted this interplay into massive bodies of deep, dark water. Droughtlands and Shimmersand were influenced by the Plane of Earth, and so were crafted into deserts (mostly). The Iron Pines are where the Plane of Air has very strong sway, and so this is where it's cold and windy. Very much like the Book of Genesis, except they had a blueprint already set in place. They just picked the prime real-estate to build on.

That's admittedly a very "a wizard did it" sort of way to explain things, but it helps me cope with the otherwise-senseless geographical layout of our beloved Telara. =S
    Last edited by Morvick; 10-01-2011 at 08:37 PM.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Morvick View Post
    I look at it like The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. The world is implied to be larger, but the actual maps are smaller to allow for greater detail without breaking anything up. In reality Silverwood might be 5 to 10 miles wide, and consist of a series of vales and valleys that form a nice brightly-lit forest. Development-wise, that is seriously taxing the servers to constantly keep track of everything and everyone in even one zone. And imagine the travel times!
    The continent of Tamriel is fully mapped. The individual provinces, however, are not. Neither is the world outside of Tamriel.

As for Telara, your best bet would be to look at the Shadowlands images and study the giant cracked orb in the sky. While I seriously doubt Telara is LITERALLY broken to pieces right now, it's still the best thing you've got.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

... I stared at that thing for something like five revolutions without realizing it was the same hemispheres twice, not just one long continent rotating faster than it looked.

D'oh!

I still vaguely recall someone posting or linking to a map on which the hunk of Telara we have seen looked like it was basically a penninsula on a larger continent or something, but I can't find anything supporting that theory now.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Kreiri View Post
    Well there is an orrery in meridian, which implies that science has found telera round like any other planet.

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    ... I stared at that thing for something like five revolutions without realizing it was the same hemispheres twice, not just one long continent rotating faster than it looked.

D'oh!

I still vaguely recall someone posting or linking to a map on which the hunk of Telara we have seen looked like it was basically a penninsula on a larger continent or something, but I can't find anything supporting that theory now.
    It's stated that the land mass doesn't end where we see the sea on our map in the north west, SM and possibly SR. Rather we are cut off as the mountains are impassible, for now ;).

Which we know, bloody invisible walls.
    Last edited by Anuhart; 10-02-2011 at 05:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    You obviously know nothing about Laethys, have you tried him?
    I don't log in anymore.

Seebs, if you have a guardian, go into the tavern in Sanctum or Kain's command in Scarwood and look at the maps there. Clearly shows the playable map as part of a larger landmass .

Is that what you were referring to?
    As it stands now, our characters are more replaceable than our gear...
    My character is not a coat hanger!

We know that other continents exist, they're just cut off from ours because of what the Shade did to the oceans. Presumably now, with the oceans calming down, those other places will be open for business, so to speak.

However, it does seem likely that the one we're on now is the biggest or the most populated. We have pretty much all the dragons imprisoned here except Maelforge, who is locked away on some islands. We have the Eth Empire and Mathosia, both here, and all the legendary heroes who originally imprisoned the dragons and killed Regulos came from here. The other continents must be small islands or mostly un-inhabitable.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

*Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Xerokine View Post
    We know that other continents exist, they're just cut off from ours because of what the Shade did to the oceans. Presumably now, with the oceans calming down, those other places will be open for business, so to speak.

However, it does seem likely that the one we're on now is the biggest or the most populated. We have pretty much all the dragons imprisoned here except Maelforge, who is locked away on some islands. We have the Eth Empire and Mathosia, both here, and all the legendary heroes who originally imprisoned the dragons and killed Regulos came from here. The other continents must be small islands or mostly un-inhabitable.
    "Thousands of years ago, the gods created the world of Telara and an abundance of living creatures to fill its mountains, forests, plains and oceans. The civilized territories currently explored by the players of RIFT are but one sample of its vast expanse. These territories are surrounded in the north and west by colossal mountain ranges, and to the east and south by seas that have become impassable in the wake of the Shade.

Although much of Telara is currently unreachable, the continent on which players of RIFT begin is the largest in the world."

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    You obviously know nothing about Laethys, have you tried him?
    I don't log in anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Anuhart View Post
    Although much of Telara is currently unreachable, the continent on which players of RIFT begin is the largest in the world."
    Okay, so it's less "likely" and more "definitely". At least we should be able to use ships soon, with Akylios temporarily dead.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

Quote Originally Posted by Xerokine View Post
    Okay, so it's less "likely" and more "definitely". At least we should be able to use ships soon, with Akylios temporarily dead.
    Bah, why use ships when you can use *wiggles fingers* Transportation Stones! =o

Quote Originally Posted by Morvick View Post
    Bah, why use ships when you can use *wiggles fingers* Transportation Stones! =o
    We could've used those befoooore the seas quieted. >_>

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast