+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: End of mathosia(spoiler for new players)

Rift Chaser

Default End of mathosia(spoiler for new players)

i didn't understand when i closed the rift in mathosia and got transported to silverwood. when i arrived in silverwood and checked the map, the mathosia was gone. what happened? did get i travel in time or to other plane or dimension?

Rift Disciple

You traveled back in time. Simple as that, you just got transported to an alternate time line, but it still traveled you back in time

Rift Chaser

thank you...........

Plane Touched

Forward in time, not back. Guardians go forward in time.

RIFT Community Ambassador Morvick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by riftloreseeker View Post
    i didn't understand when i closed the rift in mathosia and got transported to silverwood. when i arrived in silverwood and checked the map, the mathosia was gone. what happened? did get i travel in time or to other plane or dimension?
    Old Mathosia = modern-day Stillmoor.

Guardians travel forward in time to the present, Defiants travel back in time to the present. Each brings a different and true perspective to the fight.

Also, your body was totally obliterated by the exploding Rift (many claim this rift became the Eye of Regulos in Stillmoor), so the Vigil took you up to them and patched your body while giving you a vision. Then they plunked you down where you could regain your power and learn the current state of the world -- in Silverwood.
    Last edited by Morvick; 10-01-2011 at 08:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Morvick View Post
    Then they plunked you down where you could regain your power and learn the current state of the world -- in Silverwood.
    Why that time and that place? Most likely in reaction to the Failsafe activating on the other side of the river, where Defiant Ascended emerged from the dark future of Terminus. I suspect that if not for the Failsafe, the 'sleeping' Guardian Ascended would have stayed dead.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

*Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Xerokine View Post
    Why that time and that place? Most likely in reaction to the Failsafe activating on the other side of the river, where Defiant Ascended emerged from the dark future of Terminus. I suspect that if not for the Failsafe, the 'sleeping' Guardian Ascended would have stayed dead.
    I don't think they would have stayed dead, no. But absolutely, the choice of time was in reaction to the Defiant Failsafe being activated -- or maybe they knew it'd happen beforehand. The Gods' knowledge is not linearly bound in time, after all.
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

I don't think they would have stayed dead, no. But absolutely, the choice of time was in reaction to the Defiant Failsafe being activated -- or maybe they knew it'd happen beforehand. The Gods' knowledge is not linearly bound in time, after all.
    Which raises the question of why they didn't stop Alsbeth. Or Kain. Or revive their champions before the Failsafe could be used. I think the Vigil is bound by time, or are bound in some other way that prevents them from making full use of any knowledge about the future. Maybe their vision of the future is like Poor Tom's; confused and ever-changing?
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

Which raises the question of why they didn't stop Alsbeth. Or Kain. Or revive their champions before the Failsafe could be used. I think the Vigil is bound by time, or are bound in some other way that prevents them from making full use of any knowledge about the future. Maybe their vision of the future is like Poor Tom's; confused and ever-changing?
    I'd say it's the Ward; they can see the events, but are unable to directly act in any eras of time where the Ward is keeping the Planes from overly affecting Telara. And yeah, the Rifts are definitely small potatoes compared to what I believe the Planes are truly capable of unleashing.

My theory is the Ward prevents the Vigil from acting; they knew this when they built it. They can only send Messengers "through" it, as if I knew where any of them came from. Space? Regardless it was their greatest gift to Telara, and ultimately their greatest curse. Like the locked door to the Zombie Safehouse you're in that traps you with a lunatic who's got a chainsaw. The Gods even prophesize for the Ascended Guardians that, yes, the Ward will fall, and Telara will be undone. The Defiants don't bring anything new in regards to current events with them from the future ("The rifts will come and Death will consume us!" "We know already, chill."), just the ability to craft Defiant Ascended in the present with some schematics. The real mystery will be what the Gods' plan is for the Ascended, knowing they'll all essentially fail -- Defiants and all. Perhaps that's when they'll be able to join us directly in the fight and do something about the Planes themselves.

Poor Tom is a mere mortal, whose mind isn't accustomed to more than 4 dimensions of thinking (to experience a dimension, you must have access to one above it; to exist in 3 dimensions, you and I must also exist somewhere in time -- but to experience time in its fullest, we'd need to have access to the 5th dimension, etc). I'd wager that you and me would both go equally insane if confronted with the reality that we could see alternate timelines simultaneously (5th dimension), and never really know which one we were based in.

Ever read late Douglas Adam's Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series? There is a device described in one of the books that is said to be the ultimate in punishment. Consisted of odd-ball items (like a lump of cheese), this machine enables the victim to view the entire majesty and impossible vastness of all space and all time in a single moment of absolute clairvoyance. The encounter leaves the victim totally insane and unable to speak, their mind basically blown. Poor Tom. Poor Telara. :[
    Last edited by Morvick; 10-02-2011 at 07:04 PM.

Additionally, I definitely believe that despite the Defiants' best efforts, they are playing directly into the Vigil's plans. They are, as a faction, nothing if not predictable in their eternal quest for knowledge and power. Almost like parents who use reverse psychology to get their kids to do what's best for them, while still cultivating a defiant attitude.
    Last edited by Morvick; 10-02-2011 at 07:07 PM.

Regardless it was their greatest gift to Telara, and ultimately their greatest curse.
    Well, it's not like they made the Ward. That was us. Though apparently the Vigil 'assisted', so I guess they get credit for being mildly helpful for once.

The real mystery will be what the Gods' plan is for the Ascended, knowing they'll all essentially fail -- Defiants and all. Perhaps that's when they'll be able to join us directly in the fight and do something about the Planes themselves.
    They didn't exactly swoop in and save the day when the Ward fell in Terminus and Telara had nearly been completely consumed by the Plane of Death. While it's interesting to know that the Vigil has prophesied their own failure, that really only makes me have even less faith in their ability to do anything at all and question why the Guardians do.

"Hey guys, we created you Ascended to save the day!"
    "Yay!"
    "Yeah, only you'll all die and Telara will be destroyed."
    "Ya-...wait, what?"
    "But then we might do something! Except in the future, where we totally didn't do anything."
    "..."

Rift Disciple

The Guardians did have Ascended in the Terminus-timeline: they brought down Meridian, and a few were captured and experimented on by the Defiant. Presumably they were so distracted by doing so that Alsbeth was able to open the Eye, and it was all over but the dying.

Whereas in this timeline, the Guardians were repelled and both sides started to seek allies elsewhere - such as the Order of Mathos, who so helpfully directed them at the rift.

Well, it's not like they made the Ward. That was us. Though apparently the Vigil 'assisted', so I guess they get credit for being mildly helpful for once.
    You've got it a bit backwards. The Vigil crafted the Ward with the assistance of some mortal Mages. Otherwise, wouldn't the Ward be easy enough to repair from down here?

As for the storyline, I'm approaching this from the standpoint that each side is ultimately equal - Guardian and Defiant. One's a bit more amoral than the other, and we each have our different opinions on which is which in that regard. But ultimately I'm sure even Orphiel will have a use, and certainly the Gods will be the stars of the show at one point. I like not knowing how it all fits together yet. Keeps it exciting.

It's often said that the mortals lack the power needed to do what's needed, and the Gods lack the physical form to intervene directly, being divine. So the Ascended (at least the Guardians) are considered "beings of both worlds", the ultimate weapon to save Telara even after the Ward falls, having the strengths of each and none of the shortcomings. The Vigil provides direction for the Guardians, the Mortals provide purpose and a reason for being. Combine that with an immortal soldier with a facility for murder, and you have something to contend with.

If you're familiar with the "Hero's Journey", you might recognize the step along the path called The Master Of Both Worlds. The Hero in question has mastered not only the tools given to him and his enemies, but he has also mastered the inconquerable -- often death -- and returns to his "normal" mortal realm with this great knowledge of co-existence and "the big plan". That's us (Ascended), and the step after this is to figure out what the hell to do with that knowledge. Swinging a sword seems like a great under-use of divine or technomagical prowess, doesn't it? There's something more, and delightfully, I can only guess at it right now. Can't wait.
    Last edited by Morvick; 10-03-2011 at 04:44 AM.

Rift Chaser

it is like a time paradox. the defiant from a dark future go back in time and the guairdians travel forward in time to make a dark future for the defiant

You've got it a bit backwards. The Vigil crafted the Ward with the assistance of some mortal Mages. Otherwise, wouldn't the Ward be easy enough to repair from down here?
    Technically, you have it backwards. Rather than mages aiding the Vigil, it was the Vigil aiding the mortal mages.

"The gods joined together in the Vigil, and aided mortal masters of the arcane in constructing the Ward, an impenetrable barrier to shield Telara from planar fury." -Here.

As for why we can't fix it, who knows. Maybe it can't be fixed without taking down the old one and making a new one? In which case, it'd be too easy for the dragons to counter-attack in that time. And keep in mind that the original Ward was only created after the Five were imprisoned and Regulos had just been recently destroyed. With Regulos active and the Five awake, there may be too much interference.

Of course, who says we're not working to fix it? Isn't that what Wardstones are for, to support and reinforce the Ward?
    Last edited by Xerokine; 10-03-2011 at 03:38 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast