+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Defiant Resurrections

Default Defiant Resurrections

For the Guardians, the resurrections make perfect sense - the Vigil understands which individuals were empowered and dedicated during their living years.

Is there any lore for how the Defiant choose which souls to resurrect? Do they just play Eeny Meeny Miny Moe?

Quote Originally Posted by Chipossabuns View Post
    For the Guardians, the resurrections make perfect sense - the Vigil understands which individuals were empowered and dedicated during their living years.

Is there any lore for how the Defiant choose which souls to resurrect? Do they just play Eeny Meeny Miny Moe?
    There is currently no official lore on this , but...

If you go over to the Roleplay section there's a really good fan story there called The Awakening, that to my mind makes perfect sense as to who survives the ressurection process among the defiants. While the defiants may have no way to pre-determine who to pull from the soulstream, if the newly reborn person is weak either physically, mentally, or emotionally they may very well be sent back to the soulstream post haste. That would mean that only the very best "specimens" are saved as Ascended Defiants.
    Last edited by Sylvrin; 08-25-2010 at 02:27 AM.
    Those who guard nature, guard life itself. Those who defile nature bring death and destruction upon us all.

But there is cause for hope. Telaran heroes of old have begun to be reborn in the Shadowlands as Ascendants, and two powerful factions of heroes have emerged to defend Telara against Regulos and the threats from the planes. The Guardians are a holy order that believes they have been reborn through the will of the gods while the Defiant are a collective of rugged techno-magical individualists.
    The way I've been reading it is that the factions themselves are fairly new - the Ascendants are heroes reborn from a time when all races lived peacefully amongst each other. As that is the case, I would imagine the decision on which faction to defend would be the choice of the Ascendant's soul that is being drawn back to life.

It has also been stated that, while the Defiant think themselves on the same level as the Gods, they also admire and even worship spirits and demi-Gods. I think of the Defiant as a shamanistic faction which would make resurrection and "guidance" to the mortal realm fit very well in the lore.

You play as the ascended people who died during the shade war. After the shade war people questioned why the gods had not stepped in and saved them. The people who saw this as they can not depend on the gods to save them but must save themselves by using the source stone to power devices to combat the rift invaders became the defiant, while others wanted to use the source stone to commune with the gods though the Vigil became the guardians. So technically all of the ascended who died during the shade war had yet to pick a side. No clue how they plan on having the lore about people picking their faction when returning from the dead considering it also decides your race. I could see this being resolved by saying the gods picked the ascended for their power to fight off Regulos, not their beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by Narshima View Post
    No clue how they plan on having the lore about people picking their faction when returning from the dead considering it also decides your race.
    Another point I didn't think about. In the video for the starter area, you see a huge stream of souls from Telara. Playing fantasy games, I can easy just do jazz hands and say "Magic!" (or in this case Science!) for how the Defiant technology chooses souls. How do the Defiants know which souls will cater to their causes? Especially if the souls only belong to certain races.

Quote Originally Posted by Narshima View Post
    I could see this being resolved by saying the gods picked the ascended for their power to fight off Regulos, not their beliefs.
    But the Vigil aren't picking out the Defiants - Eth technology is choosing and therein lies my question. Is there any form of reasonable explanation for how technology can accomplish this. I suppose, perhaps, they could have shamans that can commune with spirits or telepaths/mentalists hooked up to the machines and "filtering" out the souls a bit. I have no other thoughts on how such could be "reasonably" achieved.

Perhaps this might answer your question. This is from the Asha section on the main page:

Asha awoke, gasping for breath, within a machine in the Shadowlands. Orphiel Farwind, her mentor and friend, stood beside her, looking at her with an expression of triumph. He explained that he had used the technology of the ancient Eth to return Asha to life, and that she was merely the first of the warriors he planned to return.

sounds like they have a plan to the order of returning people, tho i'm guessing its random luck =) . But who know their tech may be that advanced

I would love an actual explanation on WHY certain races are in certain factions. Everything else seems to make enough sense.

It seems to me if the Defiant are using technology to ressurect specific people from specific races, then DNA coding and genetic engineering may somehow be involved. I know that sounds very sci-fi for this genre, but if their machines can rebuild bodies to full capacity, they probably have to start with something. DNA makes sense here, although they may call it something else entirely.
    Those who guard nature, guard life itself. Those who defile nature bring death and destruction upon us all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvrin View Post
    It seems to me if the Defiant are using technology to ressurect specific people from specific races, then DNA coding and genetic engineering may somehow be involved. I know that sounds very sci-fi for this genre, but if their machines can rebuild bodies to full capacity, they probably have to start with something. DNA makes sense here, although they may call it something else entirely.
    Hmm do we know that the body the Ascended Souls inhabit is the rebuilt body from their true life? If so and you are a warrior how do you explain not being incredibly strong with amazing muscle-memory to start with?

Quote Originally Posted by Kula View Post
    Hmm do we know that the body the Ascended Souls inhabit is the rebuilt body from their true life? If so and you are a warrior how do you explain not being incredibly strong with amazing muscle-memory to start with?
    We don't know that the Ascended Souls occupy the same body for sure. All of this is conjecture, of course. From the write up about Asha's ressurection though, it does appear that they do. As for not having amazing muscle-memory and strength when using this technology, that's not a hard thing to explain at all. It's very easy for muscle tissue to atrophy when not in use.

+ Reply to Thread