+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Cut Scenes?

Soulwalker

Default Cut Scenes?

I might get a few moans out there, but I'm one of those who love cut-scenes in games. It really makes me feel more immersed in the lore. Do they intend to add a few of these in RIFT? And I'm not talking just quick clips of Rifts opening up and mobs coming out; more like the cut-scenes from final fantasy or guild wars as examples with dialog.

I deplore cut scenes. However, if I like the game and there is an option to skip cut scenes in the settings, then - no harm, no foul.
    "That which is beautiful is not always good, but that which is good is always beautiful."

T A S C'S Guild FAQ

I haven't read anything about cut scenes in Rift. I can take them or leave them but they do seem like an awful lot of work for something most players will at worst skip and at best only sit through once. I'd personally rather see that development time spent on content that has more general appeal.

Telaran

Yea, those people working on cut scenes should totally be doing content creation, or server optimization! The guys who do cut scenes are probably animators, I don't think doing cut scenes is going to impact development of other content to any significant extent.

Quote Originally Posted by FatCrab View Post
    Yea, those people working on cut scenes should totally be doing content creation, or server optimization! The guys who do cut scenes are probably animators, I don't think doing cut scenes is going to impact development of other content to any significant extent.
    Money/budget to hire talent is the resource in question here. More money spent on animators equals less money available to spend in other areas.
    Last edited by Ware; 08-25-2010 at 07:10 AM.

Telaran

Why would they hire more animators instead of just putting it on the docket of the existing team?

Quote Originally Posted by FatCrab View Post
    Why would they hire more animators instead of just putting it on the docket of the existing team?
    Let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up.

Simplifying: game = money (to hire people) + time. To get the same game content in less time you need to hire more people. To get the same game content with less money you need to increase the time to launch. If you can't afford more money or more time then you need to make good choices about what content you include in the game and therefore what kind of talent you need to hire. Hiring more animators means you have less money to hire programmers, network admins, writers, etc.

Including content like cut scenes (which seems like it would be very time and resource intensive) is making an investment that's unlikely to pay off in substantially increased revenue. The work product of content writers, programmers, or network admins is much more likely to impact revenue as success and failure in these areas is so much more visible.

I respect the OP's desire for more content like this but I would rather Trion invest their limited resources in areas of the game that are, in my opinion, more likely to make the game successful.

Champion

I'd rather play the game than watch a cut scene. Especially one that controls my actions like a puppet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenadara View Post
    I might get a few moans out there, but I'm one of those who love cut-scenes in games. It really makes me feel more immersed in the lore. Do they intend to add a few of these in RIFT? And I'm not talking just quick clips of Rifts opening up and mobs coming out; more like the cut-scenes from final fantasy or guild wars as examples with dialog.
    Oh how I wish, if not at least do what WoW did in the dungeons in the Caverns of Time. There was a good amount of NPC talking and NPCs connecting with you, with that I went in those dungeons any time I could. I just adored it and I felt so apart of the story, plus I could go in the tavern in the dungeon and get special food. That was the best area in all of WoW.
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

I think cutt scenes are cool I did not mind them in Aion maybe just limit them to when some real big happened for example Mr uber drangon gets killed and like some one said with a option to pass it.

I like the set up cut scene when creating your character, that covers the lore and background of what is going on around you. However you need to be able to skip them if you have already seen them or just don't want to. I also hate cut scenes when you start a group instance because it never fails half the group has already seen it and end up waiting 2-3 mins on the other person to finish watching it. Although I think a small scene when you achieve something that changes the world like repealing a rift invasion would be nice short and not really take up much resource wise. Do the the highly repetitive nature of mmos I would hope they use cut scenes very sparingly.

Banned

Cut scenes are great.

As long as they act as personal in-the-mind-messages to the player - and nothing else - and are linked to quests (or class specific quest progression, or something like approaching a new area).

By that, I mean, I don't like how cut scenes are used to describe everything, but in a very minor way, and infrequently.

WoW players will know what I mean.

Soulwalker

I like cut-scenes to, especially when they seem to focus on you as the player, having a role in the cut-scene. Anything to make the game more entertaining! For those who dislike em' ...Good time for bio-break when they happen :P

Cut-scenes are fantastic, more fantastic when you retain control of your character throughout.

Telaran

Yea, when I think of in-game cut scenes, I'm thinking of scenes using the game's engine, not CGI. Moreso, I'm imagining just heavily scripted scenes so I suppose I agree that it would be needlessly costly to create ACTUAL cut scenes. But scripted scenes would be fantastic and shouldn't add any significant cost.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast