+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Does the Vigil prohibit sex before marriage?

Default Does the Vigil prohibit sex before marriage?

Seeing how religions affect sexuality in real life, I've been wondering what was the Vigil's stance on this matter.

RIFT Community Ambassador Talila's Avatar

I've never seen any lore regarding marriages and I do believe the lore-devs said that marriage traditions is one of the areas where they wanted to see what the community interpreted them to be, in one of the threads.. I don't remember which one.
    Anyhow it's one of the things that I don't think is so likely, but I suppose if one looks back at when the vigil was worshiped as individuals that one of them might have something of that kind. I suggest you maybe take a look at the individual gods and see if anything can be interpreted in that direction.
    Last edited by Talila; 09-23-2011 at 05:03 AM.
    I went off to FFXIV. Here's my blog.

High priestess of the Vigil barely wears any clothes. I don't think Vigil has anything against sex.
    Feminism is the radical notion that women are people.

RIFT Community Ambassador Morvick's Avatar

I think the Vigil's commandments to their Faithful are quite lenient regarding a worshiper's daily life. It's really no consequence to the Gods what someone does in bed, since the temptations to resist would be the Planar corruption.

Also remember that they Ascended the Guardians not because of their faith or virtues, but because of their prowess in battle. If they truly cared about the past bedroom deeds of their champions, wouldn't it be a bit silly to hear about?

"... But the Gods of the Vigil intervened. Their messengers went among the fallen, and ascended the worthy -- not for their virtue, but for their MARITAL FIDELITY!" *queue crescendo*
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

It is really only the most peacefully pious that would want to be chaste ("This is the way we choose to give our lives to the Vigil" kind of thing). Otherwise they can have at it.

You see unlike a certain religious organization, Sanctum doesn't *require* tithes and its clergy isn't being forced to give their inheritances to the Guardians. That allows much more freedom in what its members does in the bedroom, and in marriage.
    Last edited by Maeloda; 09-23-2011 at 06:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreiri View Post
    High priestess of the Vigil barely wears any clothes. I don't think Vigil has anything against sex.
    I am so sick of Shyla's model. NOT only because she is scantily clad (I can deal with that with Asha, many desert and forest dwellers, etc), but because she looks so weird compared to even any other elf model, and her eyes are uncanny, and I get uncomfortable just looking at her body posture.

Her voice actor is improving though, and her story is fine enough.

Just fix that hair, model, posture, etc. It's ridiculous.

Religion is always an awful topic for conversation. There's a lot about religion that we're just now discovering that contradicts what we've been taught, and what we've read.

As to the topic I think keeping religion in Telara separate from religion in real life is a good idea. Point being we shouldn't expect there to be parallels. I don't think the Vigil cares as long as we're (Guardians) doing what they Ascended us for, and sex for the rest of the population is probably not an issue either.

aux

There's no such thing as sex on Telara.

Otherwise there'd be children around, and there aren't.
    I'm so BORED

Quote Originally Posted by aux View Post

Simple to explain;

The dragons ate all the kids. =]
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Sword of Telara

You have no idea how alarmed I was when I saw this from the forum index.

Quote Originally Posted by Terram View Post
    You have no idea how alarmed I was when I saw this from the forum index.
    Yeah..no kidding..
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxcalibur View Post
    Verily, Maelforge did say, "Suffer all the bros to come at me!"

Yeah, that piece is canon.

Quote Originally Posted by aux View Post

They're all dead

Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    They're all dead
    I guess it's untrue that virgins taste better; the Dragons ate all the mothers and children. D:

*strums lute*
    A dragon has come to our village today.
    We've asked him to leave, but he won't go away.
    Now he's talked to our king and they worked out a deal.
    No homes will he burn and no crops will he steal...
    Last edited by Morvick; 09-23-2011 at 08:17 PM.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

I am reminded of the intro to the Rocky Horror Picture Show:

[cast]: You must not block the aisles, and you must not create an open flame.
    [audience]: Can we <do something to> sheep?
    [cast]: As long as you do not block the aisles or create an open flame.

[vigil]: No magitech and kill dragons.
    [ascended]: Can we have sex before marriage?
    [vigil]: As long as you don't use magitech or ally with the dragons.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

I expect each member of the Vigil has their own opinion. Remember, because this is something people often forget, that 'The Vigil' is not a single entity. It's five different gods, each with very different goals and very different personalities. What one accepts, another may forbid. However, as the collective 'Vigil', I expect they simply don't decree on such things and leave it up to the individual nation. The elves, for example, live for 300 years, and so their society is likely different in subtle ways to the humans who live for 60. Sex outside of marriage, for example, is probably more common, since one partner for 200+ years is going to cause problems.

The Mathosians, on the other hand, are modeled after traditional fantasy medieval nations. And so I expect them to have traditional fantasy medieval nation values, like marriage before sex, marriage for life, etc. The one thing we know to be different is gender equality, which I wager is due to magic. The man being physically stronger doesn't mean much when the woman can wave her hand and make him burst into flames.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

*Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast