+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Terram

Thread: Bags (their capacity) and any supporting lore

Default Bags (their capacity) and any supporting lore

I was wondering if anyone knew of any lore supporting the ability to shove 20 sets of armour, 10 polearms, 15 shields, and a smattering of other goodies into your back pocket.

Are there bags of holding, time/space folds, pocket dimensions, or anything like that in Rift that could explain the huge capacity of your bag(s)?

RIFT Community Ambassador Morvick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by meoka2368 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone knew of any lore supporting the ability to shove 20 sets of armour, 10 polearms, 15 shields, and a smattering of other goodies into your back pocket.

Are there bags of holding, time/space folds, pocket dimensions, or anything like that in Rift that could explain the huge capacity of your bag(s)?
    I envision something like Hermione's clutch from Harry Potter. *pulls out a 90-foot flag pole* What?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Sword of Telara

Orphiel did it.

Plane Walker

I bought one today and saw material of eternal planer dust, endless maybe in their capacity?

Shadowlander

Default Mounts carry travel sacks

My preferred method of role-playing these extensive bags is to envision them as packs that I force my poor Spawn of Murdantix, Walton, to carry around strapped to his sides. I toss him a few chunks of meat every time he seems to get irritated by them and I've never had a problem. When I am fighting, Walton is off searching for little critter snacks or other small game animals.

-Noahbash the Ironclad

Quote Originally Posted by Devilchameleon View Post
    When I am fighting, Walton is off searching for little critter snacks or other small game animals.
    Why that lazy-
    You need to get yourself a trustworthy mount who'll fight along side you :P

Quote Originally Posted by Morvick View Post
    I envision something like Hermione's clutch from Harry Potter. *pulls out a 90-foot flag pole* What?
    Reminds me of the Dimensional Pockets and Pouches from EQ1....loved those things!!!
    Shaiana: Mage (HIE/Eth) Kaeleera: Cleric (HIE/Eth)
    Mariketa: Warrior (HIE/Eth) Keryssa: Rogue (HIE/Eth)

**Guardians: PVE Greybriar: By The Vigil's Grace**
    **Defiants: PVE Shatterbone: Memories of Tomorrow**

Quote Originally Posted by Morvick View Post
    See, the fact that no one has mentioned Mary Poppins yet depresses me.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

*Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

I like to see bags with a suspension of disbelief. I assume that the packs our characters carry only contain the items we happen to use in that play session. It's rare that we actually swap in and out, everything in our bags.

If my character runs around collecting ore, I think of it like my character had empty bags from the start, and filled them up with ore. If I swap from healing gear to tank gear, I don't think of it as having an entire suit of armor in my pocket, but rather that my character went "off-stage" to gather his equipment from a cache somewhere to make the swap.

It's nothing that other players see or interact with, it's just in my own mind. I prefer to think of it this way rather than assume that we're using quantum tunneling and compressed space with our silken bags. Though I do imagine that the really advanced bags that require magic to build (Spellweave, Witchweave), use some kind of spellwork to improve their capacity a little.

I always assume that Bags are a kind of Bag of holding, since outfiters normally craft magic armors, why not magic bags?

And, of course, better bags require better material, just like better material make armor with stronger magic (i.e. Attributes)

Quote Originally Posted by Azchire View Post
    I like to see bags with a suspension of disbelief. I assume that the packs our characters carry only contain the items we happen to use in that play session. It's rare that we actually swap in and out, everything in our bags.

If my character runs around collecting ore, I think of it like my character had empty bags from the start, and filled them up with ore. If I swap from healing gear to tank gear, I don't think of it as having an entire suit of armor in my pocket, but rather that my character went "off-stage" to gather his equipment from a cache somewhere to make the swap.

It's nothing that other players see or interact with, it's just in my own mind. I prefer to think of it this way rather than assume that we're using quantum tunneling and compressed space with our silken bags. Though I do imagine that the really advanced bags that require magic to build (Spellweave, Witchweave), use some kind of spellwork to improve their capacity a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Azchire View Post
    If I swap from healing gear to tank gear, I don't think of it as having an entire suit of armor in my pocket, but rather that my character went "off-stage" to gather his equipment from a cache somewhere to make the swap.
    Actually, that one has already been explained. Behold! You don't actually gather or undress, you just shout something suitably awesome and magically exchange armour and souls.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Xerokine View Post
    Actually, that one has already been explained. Behold! You don't actually gather or undress, you just shout something suitably awesome and magically exchange armour and souls.
    Advantages of being an Ascended:P

Yes we are that badass.

Quote Originally Posted by Lutinz View Post
    Advantages of being an Ascended:P

Yes we are that badass.
    I bet the mortals are pretty envious of us. We're resistant to planar corruption, we can access the skills and knowledge of ancient heroes at will, we can revive ourselves from the dead, we can use Porticulums to cross the continent in seconds... Heck, that last one alone is fairly impressive from a lore standpoint.

Plane Walker

and if its raining we can go....

'Ancestors, your raincoat is mine!':P

Seriously though, I do like how they have taken the time to tie some aspects of the game mechanics into the lore. The soul thing and swaping works well. Same with the Ascended and coming back from the dead thing.
    Last edited by Lutinz; 10-23-2011 at 03:48 PM.

+ Reply to Thread