+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Orphiel not with the Defiant in the future: was this a retcon from the lore change ?

Default Orphiel not with the Defiant in the future: was this a retcon from the lore change ?

I dont quite understand this. Orphiel isnt in the Defiant. So is that going off the comics that was retcon, or is something else still going on?

RIFT Community Ambassador Morvick's Avatar

He wasn't present in the future (... yeah, that made sense), but I think the rest is meant to be a mystery. Plenty of plots and speculations surround the man, though. The Guardians see his assassination as a top priority, to say the least.

I'm trying to figure out Orphiel's equivalent Guardian character, and the closest I can get is Brother Jebiah, but that's still not a proper fit (Jebiah is more like a Faceless Man).
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Morvick View Post
    He wasn't present in the future (... yeah, that made sense), but I think the rest is meant to be a mystery. Plenty of plots and speculations surround the man, though. The Guardians see his assassination as a top priority, to say the least.

I'm trying to figure out Orphiel's equivalent Guardian character, and the closest I can get is Brother Jebiah, but that's still not a proper fit (Jebiah is more like a Faceless Man).
    It is order and chaos (on a grander scale).

So I'd say Cyril vs. Orphiel.

Cyril may be at odds most of the time in the game so far, but they actually could do great things together (and possibly almost did in Port Scion, but it was not to be).

When it comes to philosophy and character presentation, it would be Cyril's order on Telara vs. Orphiel's chaotic (even if it makes sense to him) experimentation on the planes and universal pillars.

From my understanding, everyone's start zone is supposed to be a different, but almost exactly the same alternate timeline.
    They play around with that a lot (check Fall of Lantern Hook, both regular and T1) in this game.
    Maybe he was killed, maybe he was turned, maybe he [fill in whatever you want] in the timeline you came from before going back to the Ark.

Quote Originally Posted by tro44 View Post
    I dont quite understand this. Orphiel isnt in the Defiant. So is that going off the comics that was retcon, or is something else still going on?
    I found him!

Apparently in the Defiant "future" (starter zone), he has by then begun personal time travel. You can find him in the Guardian present, messing with Poor Tom in Sanctum.
    http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...-24_024239.jpg
    He even has a blurb on the nature of the Gods.

I realize the picture may be too small to read, so here's some help.
    The spell he's casting on Poor Tom is called "Paralyzing Whispers".

His text for "Sight Beyond Sight";
    "I find these gods you revere fascinating. They don't seem to be bound by the laws of space or time. I've done quite a few experiments to prove this out during my work to create the failsafe device. Reality itself would change, but my readings of the quantum resonance of their demiurge upon the universe showed no effect. Forgive me for talking so far above your stunted theistic brain.

What I do find curious is they choose not to share their knowledge of my meddling with reality aside from anyone but this one fellow here. He sees the results of my tinkering with fate, and notices a difference. Curiouser and curiouser, not even my own partisans have figured it out. Though I guess it is all for the best, this fellow seems to have been driven completely insane by it. HA!"

And then we have Poor Tom who, until I saw this, I thought was making stuff up about "The Magician" and generally being a crack-head. Not so -- I shall now take him seriously!
    "Poor Tom had a family. Not after the Magician's trick he didn't. Why does the Magician hate Tom so?"

:'( Poor Tom.
    Poor Telara.
    Naughty heathens. Dooming the world.
    Last edited by Morvick; 09-24-2011 at 08:21 PM.
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

In addendum to my above post, I shall forever refuse to see Orphiel as any kind of "Doctor Who". He's too much of a lunatic, and his time machine isn't bigger on the inside than the outside.

Well when you talk about equivalent characters it is slightly harder as the Guardian "side" characters seem less... flashy then the Defiant ones. There are the trio of racial leaders for each and then you have off the wall characters like the Faceless Man and Orphiel which don't really relate to the faction leaders. So yeah, if you have to liken Orphiel to someone it wouldn't be Cyril for sure. Asha is definitely his counterpart.
    Etna - Rogue 5/5 GSB 4/4 RoS 4/4 GP 4/4 DH 10/11 HK PvP 8/8

Quote Originally Posted by Sorreah View Post
    Well when you talk about equivalent characters it is slightly harder as the Guardian "side" characters seem less... flashy then the Defiant ones. There are the trio of racial leaders for each and then you have off the wall characters like the Faceless Man and Orphiel which don't really relate to the faction leaders. So yeah, if you have to liken Orphiel to someone it wouldn't be Cyril for sure. Asha is definitely his counterpart.
    Do the Defiant have a "Big Three" like the Guardians?

(I never could get past the immediate area of the Failsafe in Meridian -- I was just very "underwhelmed" by the whole place and the too-smart-for-you attitude of the NPCs. For some reason I was able to tolerate making 4 level 50 Guardian toons, but not a single Defiant one. >_>)
    Last edited by Morvick; 09-24-2011 at 11:08 PM.

Ascendant

Sort of.

There's Asha (obviously)
    Rhan Chuluun - Uriel's father and the chief of the largest of the Bahmi tribes. Pretty much the leader of the Bahmi in the Defiants following the Rifts appearance.
    Anthousa Mona - High Priestess of the Kelari. You don't really see much of her though the questlines though.

You can probably put the Faceless Man in there too. He's the Defiant's spymaster and you see a lot of him through the storylines. The Defiant's Water Saga is pretty much his personal story.
    Last edited by Kedon; 09-25-2011 at 01:56 AM.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Kedon View Post
    Sort of.

There's Asha (obviously)
    Rhan Chuluun - Uriel's father and the chief of the largest of the Bahmi tribes. Pretty much the leader of the Bahmi in the Defiants following the Rifts appearance.
    Anthousa Mona - High Priestess of the Kelari. You don't really see much of her though the questlines though.

You can probably put the Faceless Man in there too. He's the Defiant's spymaster and you see a lot of him through the storylines. The Defiant's Water Saga is pretty much his personal story.
    Faceless Man is definitely a major character.

Sylver does more than Mona, but she is technically the Kelari leader.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Morvick View Post
    I found him!

Apparently in the Defiant "future" (starter zone), he has by then begun personal time travel. You can find him in the Guardian present, messing with Poor Tom in Sanctum.
    http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...-24_024239.jpg
    He even has a blurb on the nature of the Gods.

I realize the picture may be too small to read, so here's some help.
    The spell he's casting on Poor Tom is called "Paralyzing Whispers".

His text for "Sight Beyond Sight";
    "I find these gods you revere fascinating. They don't seem to be bound by the laws of space or time. I've done quite a few experiments to prove this out during my work to create the failsafe device. Reality itself would change, but my readings of the quantum resonance of their demiurge upon the universe showed no effect. Forgive me for talking so far above your stunted theistic brain.

What I do find curious is they choose not to share their knowledge of my meddling with reality aside from anyone but this one fellow here. He sees the results of my tinkering with fate, and notices a difference. Curiouser and curiouser, not even my own partisans have figured it out. Though I guess it is all for the best, this fellow seems to have been driven completely insane by it. HA!"

And then we have Poor Tom who, until I saw this, I thought was making stuff up about "The Magician" and generally being a crack-head. Not so -- I shall now take him seriously!
    "Poor Tom had a family. Not after the Magician's trick he didn't. Why does the Magician hate Tom so?"

:'( Poor Tom.
    Poor Telara.
    Naughty heathens. Dooming the world.
    All of this time travel confuses me. So Tom sees what happens to the world if the Defiants don't go back in time? Or Orphiel has begun to time travel solo? Alternate storylines ending and starting confuse me.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Ihas2buckets View Post
    All of this time travel confuses me. So Tom sees what happens to the world if the Defiants don't go back in time? Or Orphiel has begun to time travel solo? Alternate storylines ending and starting confuse me.
    There's a reason Tom's insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Terram View Post
    There's a reason Tom's insane.
    Tom sees all the timelines that Orphiel has visited/messed with, and yes, "The Magician" is currently zipping around moments of time, gleefully learning and laughing the whole way. Per the Defiant Future, he will do this in about 14 years from the present (when he "vanishes without a trace" and abandons his Defiant compatriots to die in Terminus, which is the Defiant starter zone).

Though if I were him, and luckily I'm not, I would visit my present-self and say "So look, see all this cool time travel? Here's how to do it." The only issue is, clearly he is not tied to any Failsafe -- otherwise the moment he entered time travel, he would have been yanked back to the Failsafe's reality and timeline. Who knows what could happen to him, this man out of time? I think he's gambling with far more than just his own life -- and he hasn't even bothered to clue his Defiant brethren in to what he's up to anyway.
    Last edited by Morvick; 09-26-2011 at 08:15 PM.

The issue is that the Orphiel toying with Poor Tom and shifting timestreams is likely not the same Orphiel sitting in Meridian. As Morvick said, it's more likely to be the alternate Orphiel who vanished 14 years in the original future, after Meridian is destroyed and all hope seemed lost.

Which means that no matter how much of an evil guy this one seems like, it doesn't mean anything about the Orphiel currently with the Defiants in this timeline. Just like the evil Shyla in Terminus doesn't mean the current Shyla is evil.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

*Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

wait so he died?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast