+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Lore Conflict? I SAY YES!

Shadowlander

Thumbs down Lore Conflict? I SAY YES!

Ok, since Guardians are so against technology how come they get to use porticulums? I say make those dirty bums walk or maybe they should pray that their precious gods will swoop down from the heavens and carry them from zone to zone! HYPOCRITES!

Because porticullums are magic, not technology.

Shadowlander

If they arnt technology why is there a massive structure surrounding them to harness their power? If it was just "magic" there would just be an oval shaped portal like all the "magical" portals in rift!

I agree with OP. HYPOCRISY!

We will not be silenced. WE DEMAND A DEV'S ATTENTION TO THIS OUTRAGE!

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonTechnique View Post
    If they arnt technology why is there a massive structure surrounding them to harness their power? If it was just "magic" there would just be an oval shaped portal like all the "magical" portals in rift!
    Those massive structures around porticulums don't have to be technological constructs. They can simply be foci for magical energies much like staves are for magic users.

And really, if you're going to say there's a lore conflict, then you should actually be quoting lore rather than just basing things on your vision. Such as actually having proof that porticulums are technology.

Ok, since Guardians are so against technology how come they get to use porticulums? I say make those dirty bums walk or maybe they should pray that their precious gods will swoop down from the heavens and carry them from zone to zone! HYPOCRITES!
    no wrong. Guardians arent against Tech,,, what they are against is the use of Sourcestones to replicate magic of the Vigil. which is what Defiant's magictech does.

Ascendant

Because they're permanent and Cyril likes nice things? "Hey, we got a permanent porticulum set up over here!"

"Oh cool! Hey, why don't we build a marble frame around it to make it look spiffy?"

"That's a damn fine idea."

Champion

So you're the one that defines the laws of magic in a fantasy world! I'd like a word with you about flying mounts.
    I'm wearing my asbestos underwear. Flame on!
    Quote Originally Posted by mo0trix View Post
    So buy a keyboard that lets you assign macros....

I've played since launch and I don't mind pressing a line of buffs... repetitive, sure... but so is masturbation... still we keep doing it.

The magical field that transports matter is 2 dimensional, and as such, invisible from the side. The stone framework was put in place after a few unfortunate incidents of people walking into them and being turned inside out, sliced in half, or going from right handed, to left handed.
    Last edited by Sinndel; 09-18-2011 at 10:31 AM.
    I have a photoshopic memory. I remember everything you say or do exactly the way I want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    The magical field that transports matter is 2 dimensional, and as such, invisible from the side. The stone framework was put in place after a few unfortunate incidents of people walking into them and being turned inside out, sliced in half, or going from right handed, to left handed.
    I feel like you just quoted an entry to The Hitchhikers Guide ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    Source?

/10characters

The framework around a Porticulum resembles Eth technology, which leads one to believe that they are in fact of the same origin as Defiant technology.

Do Defiants have a Mage class? Seems kind of strange. Shouldn't they instead have a "tech" class that simulates what Mages do? Also, who do their Clerics pray to? HAL? Talk about conflicting...
    "Yeah, I'm on a drug, it's called Charlie Sheen!"

Gonna quote the intro-quest to porticulums on the Guardian side.

Start of the Quest;
    Not everything from the planes is evil and corrupt. Before the dragons despoiled the planar realms, there existed pathways through the elements that were blessed by the gods. See here one of the last remaining to us: the planar porticulum.
    End of the Quest;
    Mortals cannot be omnipresent. But with Thontic's blessing we are not constrained to one place at any time. How sad that these wonders are only available to the risen Ascended.
    They're limited to Ascended, and they are blessed pathways through the planar realms by the gods, mainly Thontic. No technology required. Not sure how the quest goes for Defiant, but I'm pretty sure it's something a long the lines of "I created this awesome thing because I'm the bestest or something, the gods for sure had nothing to do with this, right!?"

Also, doesn't this belong in the Lore section?
    Last edited by Kudaran; 09-18-2011 at 12:23 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast