+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gilded Prophecy

Plane Walker

Default Gilded Prophecy

I was curious about this when I came across it tonight, when I looked it up, I read that you enter this through a sliver in the Gildstone Sanctum in Shimmersand.

It made me wonder who created this, and if it could have been the beginnings of the creation of the Failsafe. I wondered if Sylver might have been inspired by this.

Plane Walker

I guess I should mention as well, that I saw this Gilded Prophecy, when I was in spirit form, as a shimmering oval suspended in the middle of Droughtlands, and not knowing what it was seemed like a portal to me.

Shadowlander

I'm guessing that by Droughtlands, you meant Shimmersand.

My understanding is that slivers are not created by anybody -- they are similar to the entrance of the Fall of Lantern Hook.

If you haven't been there yet, the Fall of Lantern Hook is a dungeon in an alternate timestream. A quest from Orphiel indicates that this is an extremely rare natural phenomenon that allows one to slip into another timestream. At the end of the dungeon, Orphiel's preparations allow the party to return to the main timestream.

I assume that slivers are similar but not the same as this phenomenon. As such, slivers are more common but also more difficult to detect and enter, requiring quantum sight or omen sight.

Also, I doubt these could have had much to do with the creation of the failsafe -- the failsafe was created before Orphiel asked the Ascended to explore the alternate timestream of the Fall of Lantern Hook, or before quantum sight was developed. More likely, the development of the Failsafe, and the subsequent rise in the number of Ascended, resulted in Orphiel's increased interest in studying time, the development of Quantum Sight and the detection of slivers.

Alternatively, using the Failsafe may have created the Slivers. After all, we have ones like the Drowned Halls where the Abyssal are trying to invade our timeline - which suggests they're a fairly new thing, since we haven't had random time-travelers invading Telara in the past.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

*Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

Plane Walker

"I'm guessing that by Droughtlands, you meant Shimmersand."

Shimmersand, yes, not Droughtlands My character had wandered over there from the Droughtlands seeking the Dragon Motes when she came across this Gilded Prophecy.

Thanks for the replies on this, there is so so much to learn still of this games lore

and now I wonder of the DragonTears, the pure elemental energy of the Dragon Gods, and if this is the same as sourcestone, or created from sourcestone.

Playing as a guardian, they make it sound like the slivers, and the fall of lantern hook are more like a less scientific, more fantastical variation of a holodeck. They are not real and serve as a warning that you need to do something or something bad will happen.

Playing as a defiant they make it very clear that the slivers and fall of lantern hook take place in Alternate Realities/timelines. You go there to avert the threat of these alternate realities from wreaking havoc on your timeline.

As a guardian, there's nothing to suggest these are anything but visions sent to you from the vigil. As a Defiant, any guess about their origins is a good guess.
    I have a photoshopic memory. I remember everything you say or do exactly the way I want to.

Plane Walker

"Playing as a guardian, they make it sound like the slivers, and the fall of lantern hook are more like a less scientific, more fantastical variation of a holodeck. They are not real and serve as a warning that you need to do something or something bad will happen."

like an illusion created, I wonder sometimes as well of the true reason the Guardians want the use of Magitech stopped, I think it deeper than simply raising ascended.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythue View Post

like an illusion created, I wonder sometimes as well of the true reason the Guardians want the use of Magitech stopped, I think it deeper than simply raising ascended.
    The way I understand it, the Guardians distaste for the Defiant machinations is not because they are utilizing magitech, but because they utilize sourcestone both as a power source, and as a weapon, wich is an unambiguous nono imparted by the gods of the vigil. It makes the Guardians physically sick to witness. I can only speculate as to why this is, but my thoughts are that because sourcestone is the very catalyst of all creation in the universe, it's misuse could be the catalyst of destruction for all that is.
    Last edited by Sinndel; 09-18-2011 at 06:50 AM.
    I have a photoshopic memory. I remember everything you say or do exactly the way I want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Xerokine View Post
    Alternatively, using the Failsafe may have created the Slivers. After all, we have ones like the Drowned Halls where the Abyssal are trying to invade our timeline - which suggests they're a fairly new thing, since we haven't had random time-travelers invading Telara in the past.
    A very real possibility from the Defiant perspective. Also possible, the use of the Failsafe weakened the boundaries between already existing realities. If Orphiel claims that these are rare and naturally occurring, it would explain why suddenly there's a whole lot more of them.

I'd also like to think that ever time the Failsafe is used, an alternate reality is created, potentially creating an infinite loop of infinite realities.
    Eshlon@Greybriar

Quote Originally Posted by Arynite View Post
    A very real possibility from the Defiant perspective. Also possible, the use of the Failsafe weakened the boundaries between already existing realities. If Orphiel claims that these are rare and naturally occurring, it would explain why suddenly there's a whole lot more of them.

I'd also like to think that ever time the Failsafe is used, an alternate reality is created, potentially creating an infinite loop of infinite realities.
    Orphiel tapped the 'Source Code' lmao

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Arynite View Post
    If Orphiel claims that these are rare and naturally occurring, it would explain why suddenly there's a whole lot more of them..
    Orphiel didn't claim that the SLIVERS are rare and naturally occurring. He claimed that the time warp which allows players to enter the Fall of Lantern Hook instance is. If I recall, it was something about the conjunction of the stars and planetary bodies. ie, it is a time-limited event which doesn't last all that long.

Slivers are a completely different story, in that they require Quantum Sight/Omen Sight to enter. The impression I have is that they are NOT time-limited as the event in FoLH was.

Plane Walker

http://mythue.deviantart.com/

I just created this, so hope the link shows the image.

My character does not have quantum sight/omen sight as yet, the gilded prophecy can be seen in spirit form but cannot be entered. I loved the spirals within it.
    Last edited by Mythue; 10-10-2011 at 06:56 AM.

+ Reply to Thread