+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What year is it?

Shadowlander

Default What year is it?

Self-explanatory. I'm thinking about writing a diary-style fiction, but haven't found any clues on what year it is. I've only been able to find "100 years ago we did this", as opposed to "in the year 700 this happened".

Is there a calendar out there somewhere that says what year RIFT is taking place in?

A little more complex: how long is a year? What months are in it? We may be at war with Guardians/Defiants/Regulos, but does the average un-Ascended person still celebrate festivals?

As it isn't Earth, it's reasonable to assume it isn't an Gregorian calendar. But can I just handwave "it's the thirteenth day of Smarch" and it counts?
    Celera, Defiant Rogue
    Leader of <Queen and Country>
    Deepwood Shard

Question 7: Can you elaborate on how the calendar year works?

Telarans measure the year by the moons, which are roughly equivalent to our own months, as there are twelve of them within a year’s span. So, for example, march would be the 3rd moon of the year.

The equivalent of our own 0 year is the year that the Ward was erected to keep the Blood Storm at bay. Making this the 1509th calendar year since that date. Within the lands of the Mathosian Empire, it is commonplace to name a year after a significant event that year rather than to refer it by the number. So you might find references to “The Year of the Tyrant”, as was the year Aedraxis was crowned.

Here.

So, presumably, this month is 'The Ninth Moon of the 1509th year."
    Last edited by Xerokine; 09-15-2011 at 02:20 PM.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

*Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Xerokine View Post
    Telarans measure the year by the moons, which are roughly equivalent to our own months, as there are twelve of them within a year’s span.
    Remember to keep in mind that Telara is likely not similar to Earth, in that Earth has an "extra" full moon in a calendar year every 2.7 years (or so ). Since the Telaran calendar is based on what "moon" you're currently in, according to Xerokine, you may or may not want to stay away from the "Blue" moon of Terrestrial origin.

As an FYI, many fantasy writers borrow from historical records which refer to the full moon as the "Hunter's Moon": for obvious reasons. And, historically, different cultures had different names for the various phases of the moon. I'm sure a google-search of "names of moon phases" may be beneficial to you in making your journal more realistic.

Interestingly, Hawk, that doesn't originate with fantasy writers, but with northern Europe - the 'Hunter's Moon' was the first full moon after the autumn equinox.

For further reference and information, folk lore in those regions names the 'moon' of each month thusly:

January – Wolf moon
    February – Snow moon
    March – Storm moon
    April – Pink moon
    May – Flower moon
    June – Strawberry moon
    July – Buck moon
    August – Sturgeon moon
    September – Harvest moon
    October – Hunter's moon
    November – Beaver moon
    December – Cold moon

Adapting this to Rift would probably work. In which case, today would be 'The 15th day of the Harvest Moon, 1509."
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

Interestingly, Hawk, that doesn't originate with fantasy writers, but with northern Europe - the 'Hunter's Moon' was the first full moon after the autumn equinox.

Yes, I know. That's why I said it is borrowed by many fantasy writers....

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeyez View Post
    Yes, I know. That's why I said it is borrowed by many fantasy writers....
    Shh, quit pointing out my lack of reading comprehension.

Shadowlander

Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to think about whether to go by moon number of name, but the year definitely helps.
    Celera, Defiant Rogue
    Leader of <Queen and Country>
    Deepwood Shard

Rift Disciple

Another question is: How much time is represented by leveling to 50? It seems like many NPC's have years worth of character growth that couldn't happen over the course of the few weeks-months it takes to get to 50.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezyne View Post
    Another question is: How much time is represented by leveling to 50? It seems like many NPC's have years worth of character growth that couldn't happen over the course of the few weeks-months it takes to get to 50.
    Time is time. The 6-month anniversary of Rift was also celebrated in-game as six months since the Ascended returned. In other words, it's also been around half a year since Port Scion fell and the war between the factions started.

Keep in mind that most of the NPCs are mortal, while we are Ascended. We don't get stronger by learning new skills or exercising, we do it by 'attuning' ourselves to our extra souls. When I gain a new skill, it's because I attuned to Mr. Riftstalker better and gained the knowledge from him.

So we actually are getting that strong in just a few weeks or months, because we have three masters of their craft hanging out in our heads like a cheat sheet, showing us how to do everything. It's one of several reasons why Ascended are so awesome in the first place.

Rift Disciple

Time is time. The 6-month anniversary of Rift was also celebrated in-game as six months since the Ascended returned. In other words, it's also been around half a year since Port Scion fell and the war between the factions started.

Keep in mind that most of the NPCs are mortal, while we are Ascended. We don't get stronger by learning new skills or exercising, we do it by 'attuning' ourselves to our extra souls. When I gain a new skill, it's because I attuned to Mr. Riftstalker better and gained the knowledge from him.

So we actually are getting that strong in just a few weeks or months, because we have three masters of their craft hanging out in our heads like a cheat sheet, showing us how to do everything. It's one of several reasons why Ascended are so awesome in the first place.
    I was more refering to how Scotty Malm, goes from being a freshman in College to the Son of Hammerknell, or how Adrianna Weaver goes from part time crook to the head of the Order of Mathos. According to dialogue it takes a party from Lantern hook, two weeks to make it to Fortunes Shore. I feel that time passes, maybe not for an ascended, but for a player at a much faster rate.

Wait...

I thought it was Nov 5, 1955.

Great Scott!

Plane Walker

what kind of time was Nov. 5th 1955

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Mythue View Post
    what kind of time was Nov. 5th 1955
    That was the night of the Enchantment Under The Sea Dance.

Plane Walker

very Kelarian sounding! this dance.

+ Reply to Thread