+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How are Defiant Ascended chosen?

Telaran

Default How are Defiant Ascended chosen?

(I'm crossposting this here and at riftrp because I'm not sure which reaches more eyes.)

Greetings all, I'm just starting RIFT and working on my backstory. While I know I lived and then died and then was resurrected by good ol' Syvler moments before the end of the world (which luckily I didn't have to attend because I was able to leap back in time)...what remains unclear to me is how I was "chosen" for Ascension. I know with Asha they had some of her bone, so did they have some part of my remains? Or was my soul randomly picked out of the Aether?

Basically, if I'm randomly chosen that doesn't really affect any backstory, but if I was chosen for a reason, I need to design a character that the Defiants would for some reason *want* to resurrect.

Edit: Also do Ascendeds' originals have to be dead in the present time or are some characters able to run into their pre-death mundane selves?
    Faeblight Defiant Eth Mage Quay

You, like Asha, are made out of sourcestone. However you, unlike Asha, was forged in a process 40 years removed and Ascended. In the future, the Defiant spend quite a bit of time scouring the Soulstream for anchor souls that are powerful, knowledgeable and sympathetic to their cause. This doesn't necessarily mean that they will remember their pre-death time, just that they have reached the prowess necessary for their strength to be etched into their very soul. Because they get the soul from the Soulstream, being dead is a prerequisite.

Hope that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxcalibur View Post
    Verily, Maelforge did say, "Suffer all the bros to come at me!"

Yeah, that piece is canon.

Telaran

Thanks for your reply, it helps a little, especially the "scouring the sourcestream" bit. I guess it's left to interpretation how many details the magitech crew can read off a potential soul before incarnating it.

But being in the sourcestream means you have to be dead at the time of ascension, but not necessarily in the present. So there could still be the Ascended who comes back and warns themself about their impending death scenario. I mean, I love the Primer-esque Failsafe device, but the Ascension process and the Time Machine are totally unrelated pieces of machinery as far as I can understand.
    Last edited by Quay; 09-15-2011 at 08:32 AM.
    Faeblight Defiant Eth Mage Quay

Quote Originally Posted by Quay View Post
    I guess it's left to interpretation how many details the magitech crew can read off a potential soul before incarnating it.
    You see this happening, actually, in Terminus. The room right above the Resurrection Forges has the Soulstream Scanner, and the NPCs chat about 'so-and-so was strong, revive them!' or 'Bob was a Guardian, skip him', and it brings up what you look like on a holoviewer.

But being in the sourcestream means you have to be dead at the time of ascension, but not necessarily in the present. So there could still be the Ascended who comes back and warns themself about their impending death scenario. I mean, I love the Primer-esque Failsafe device, but the Ascension process and the Time Machine are totally unrelated pieces of machinery as far as I can understand.
    Correct. You were Ascended twenty years from the present day, which means you were dead at that time. Your current existence is therefore possible, though unlikely, since it seems like the Terminus crew was frantically snatching people from all points of history.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

*Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

+ Reply to Thread