+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Dragon Names & Cult Followers

Question Dragon Names & Cult Followers

I'm liking RIFT's story the more I delve into it, and just wanted some clarification here:

Regulos - Endless Court

Maelforge - Wanton

Greenscale - Aelfwar

Alykios - The Abyssal

Cruica - The Storm Legion

Laethys - Golden Maw

Are these correct? And if any are not, may I kindly ask that you give the proper corrections? Thanks!

Rift Disciple

That's correct.

Rift Chaser

Anyone know the famous figures/founders associated with each of the cults? I was under the impression that all the cults except for the Wanton were founded by some kind of incredibly known figure in Telaran lore.

Shadowlander

To the best of my knowledge:

Endless Court: Alsbeth/Aedraxis
    House Aelfwar: Prince Hylas

Taking a stab at the others:

The Wanton: Emberlord Ereetu (Fall of Lantern Hook), according to the alternate future.
    The Abyssal: led by multiple Tidelords. However, just before Calyx's fight in AP, someone releases him. Who is it? There's also High Priestess Hydriss from Drowned Halls.
    The Storm Legion: Caelia (Charmer's Caldera) might be a safe bet. Does anyone remember what she says?
    The Golden Maw: no idea. The final boss in the Gilded Prophecy (where the Plane of Earth takes over) is Uruluuk, so that might be your best bet.

http://telarapedia.com/wiki/Dragon_Cult
    Last edited by Tienna; 09-15-2011 at 09:39 AM.
    Celera, Defiant Rogue
    Leader of <Queen and Country>
    Deepwood Shard

Rift Chaser

The Golden Maw might be led by Hazeed (?) the fellow from the larger Shimmersand chain involving the Flatyard/attempt to summon Laethys to Telara via the named Dagger?

The Abyssal is most led atm by Tidelord Jornaru probably- since that is who talks to Calyx in AP, and who you fight alongside Akylios (and most likely frees him or is at least leading the invasion).

The Golden Maw is Prince Hazeed who you hear a lot about in the SS storyline, and hints at further from the harpy dialogue imo.

The Storm Legion- Caelia likely.

Wanton Cult- um... I have a feeling we will pick up more on this later. Not really sure though.

Golden Maw is almost entirely in Shimmersand (with stuff in Scarlet Gorge, a little intro to Earth greed in Stonefield, and maybe in Droughtlands but I forget - since I mostly played Guardian and didn't do Stonefield and mainly dealt with Endless and Wanton in Scarlet Gorge).

There you fight a 'Prince' Hazeed (who for all we know may return?) who is trying to draw Laethys out through Earth Rifts (like a wormhole I assume), and the raid quest fights Akala, a former loan shark trying to 'put together' Laethys from a fragment of her.

Since both seem to die in Shimmersand, more Golden Maw cult content may have to indroduce a new character.

The cult themes seem to go as such:

Endless Court - traditional 'Satanic'/death cult leaders. People who have given up all hope for a healthy, enjoyable, and safe life with others.

Aelfwar - former High Elf leadership brainwashing their fellow elves into gradually becoming feral. In Silverwood they still seem organized but by Stillmoor they seem rather crazed imo. I'm sure over time they would just lose language and fall into savagery, and their later content could show that (just as with Water Saga they show how the 'madness' works on a person).

Wanton - just crazy beasts drawing upon their rage, and the dragonians and such that want a hellish world without humans. Any humans that join would likely turn into forms of devils like in many horror movies.

Abyssal - 'Tidelords' in 'cabals', different sorts of 'cells' that keep most of their business to themselves so that failures are not cascaded onto the whole cult

Golden Maw - while often disorganized ("OOO A SHINY!"), they gather around 'royalty' and pay tribute to them. Laethys is their highest queen and they bow down to her while begging for scraps from superiors.

Storm Legion - though they're not all completely puppets, it seems the more one gets involved in the Legion, the more one loses individuality. Good luck convincing a high up cultist to help you, unless you can break the brainwashing (even the Abyssal didn't have this, but relied on crazy visions and insanity to enforce the corruption).

When it comes to later lands with new cultists to find, I'd say:
    Endless - mostly covered, but packets of Telara may have their own sorts of death cultists around
    Aelfwar - done with Hylas, at least mostly, but I wouldn't mind other sorts fo Life cultists and vengeful fae to pop out in other lands
    Wanton - since they are almost exclusively planar, expect to fight many of them for a little while, leading to Maelforge
    Abyssal - the cult is shattered like Aelfwar and much of the Endless, but I expect other Tidelords to try things
    Golden Maw - I think there is a whole segment of the cult that we haven't even heard of yet, leading into the fight with Laethys
    Storm Legion - While we've fought a lot of it, I expect a big reveal of Crucia's true plan and who she has under her thumb as well, again leading into the fight with her

In the big picture I envision us dealing with the physical dragon forms and their cultists until expansion time, but if an expansion means entering the Planes, I think the 'humanoid' enemies we've been fighting will decrease (though still have a presence and even gain new leaders and characters and lore involvement), and planar enemies (even if humanoid sometimes as well) will increase. Plane of Earth can have their forms of 'royalty', Plane of Water can have forms of merfolk and such, Plane of Death can have spirits related to the Soulstream/River of Souls and deceased characters...

The invaders we fight are just invaders, and if Trion plays it right they could incorporate lore with both cultists (also entering the planes along with you) and native planar beings that don't want to only invade Telara.

The Aelfwar is the youngest of the cults, strictly speaking. Greenscale doesn't care about having followers, so his 'cult' was usually just the fae creatures who had a similar way of thinking and probably killed each other half the time. If it had a name before, no one remembers it. That all changed when Hylas defected along with his entire noble house. It gave a sense of structure and organization to the cult; things I'm sure Greenscale himself would despise, amusingly.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

*Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

House Aelfwar: Prince Hylas
    HA is not the first Greenscale cult to exist. It's just that they exterminated their predeccesors. Hylas is, btw, dead, so they must have a new leader now.

Endless Court: Alsbeth/Aedraxis
    EC existed ever since Blood Storm days. Even if there was a (in)glorious founder of that order, he has not yet been revealed. Surely it's not someone from our age.

The Wanton: Emberlord Ereetu (Fall of Lantern Hook), according to the alternate future.
    Wanton article on official site outright states there has never been a single founder of the Wanton. Just a bunch of blood crazy berserkers and such.

The Abyssal: led by multiple Tidelords. However, just before Calyx's fight in AP, someone releases him. Who is it? There's also High Priestess Hydriss from Drowned Halls.
    Tidelords are leaders of cabals - separate factions inside Abyssal structure. Calyx was released by Jornaru, former leader of the Solace cabal, the most powerful of them in recent history. After that dialogue he departed to Hammerknell to liberate akylios, but has been stopped and defeated. But as you might have already known even the least lore-important bosses have a tendecy to come back from dead in Rift, so expect to see him again.

Hydriss is also a cabal leader from an alrernate timeline. Nothing else is known about her.

The founder of the abyssal and the first tidelord was someone you get to know when you complete Abyssal Saga.

Abyssal - 'Tidelords' in 'cabals', different sorts of 'cells' that keep most of their business to themselves so that failures are not cascaded onto the whole cult
    Since most tidelords mostly pursue their own agenda, it can be surely said they are more then just tightly controlled cells inside a larger structure. Sure it adds some fail-proof-ness to the whole thing, but they usually act separately out of desire for power or generic insanity (they are all insane, you know) rather than some cunning scheme.

The Golden Maw: no idea. The final boss in the Gilded Prophecy (where the Plane of Earth takes over) is Uruluuk, so that might be your best bet.
    Hazed (or was he Hazeed?) was the former leader of Golden Maw. Right until you killed him. Their current leader is unknown. Gilded prophecy takes place in an alternate timeline so it has no correlation with current GM leadership.

It gave a sense of structure and organization to the cult; things I'm sure Greenscale himself would despise, amusingly.
    Food chain is structural and organized.
    Last edited by Halman; 09-15-2011 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Halman View Post
    Food chain is structural and organized.
    Not Greenscale's. His ideal is a food web where everything is being killed or trying to kill everything else, where life blooms into existence and may fall extinct in the same day, and where any sense of organization or civilization has been destroyed.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

*Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Halman View Post

EC existed ever since Blood Storm days. Even if there was a (in)glorious founder of that order, he has not yet been revealed. Surely it's not someone from our age.
    One of the artifact collections mentions the first 3 members of the Endless and how they sacrificed their families and former loved ones to Regulos to gain power over death. I don't remember their names but I do recall there being 3 of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Xerokine View Post
    Not Greenscale's. His ideal is a food web where everything is being killed or trying to kill everything else, where life blooms into existence and may fall extinct in the same day, and where any sense of organization or civilization has been destroyed.
    Yep. They embody the worst of their element.

Air - detachment, emptiness, 'no solid ground'
    Earth - greed, obsession, 'trapped in the cave'
    Water - paranoia, insanity, 'lost in the depths'
    Fire - rage, destruction, 'wipe it all away'
    Life - competition, gluttony, 'devour all'
    Death - nihilism, entropy, 'end everything'

The positives are easily described as well. Even death has the positive of making one value their *life*, and to bring a conclusion to the things that have existed. But the Dragons don't embody that. They corrupt their own planar denizens. Where a fairie may have just messed with you a bit and giggled at you, they now would rather toss you off a cliff and cackle. We *know* now that this is not natural to them, but that is comes from the 'gospel of Greenscale'.

I'm just curious where this corruption comes from though. Usually big MMOs lore goes further in describing this, so I wonder how the Dragons came to be?

Thanks for the replies folks! As I said in the OP, RIFT's story gets more fascinating as you go further into the game. I leveled my first toon to r50 during the double XP weeks and didn't get to experience 99% of the questing content, so that's what I've been doing. I hate the PvP in here (not going to say anything other than that), but the PvE is wonderful.

RIFT, to my disappointment, has a kind-of cartoonish gloss over most of it's visual displays. I did however find myself yelling to TRION, "Thank the lord!" many times when reading quest dialogue. Good to know that these cults are actually evil and do horrific things.

I'm finding myself favoring Crucia at the moment. Her story and landscape/area is fastly becoming my favorite. One question though: do you ever get to see these dragon gods in, say, a raid boss fight, cinematic, or something of the like? I'm still unguilded on Faeblight and have yet to experience the big endgame raids, so I wouldn't know.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Kedoss View Post
    Thanks for the replies folks! As I said in the OP, RIFT's story gets more fascinating as you go further into the game. I leveled my first toon to r50 during the double XP weeks and didn't get to experience 99% of the questing content, so that's what I've been doing. I hate the PvP in here (not going to say anything other than that), but the PvE is wonderful.

RIFT, to my disappointment, has a kind-of cartoonish gloss over most of it's visual displays. I did however find myself yelling to TRION, "Thank the lord!" many times when reading quest dialogue. Good to know that these cults are actually evil and do horrific things.

I'm finding myself favoring Crucia at the moment. Her story and landscape/area is fastly becoming my favorite. One question though: do you ever get to see these dragon gods in, say, a raid boss fight, cinematic, or something of the like? I'm still unguilded on Faeblight and have yet to experience the big endgame raids, so I wouldn't know.
    Lord Greenscale (always to be addressed as such) is the last boss of the first T1 20 man instance, Greenscale's Blight.
    Akylios is the final boss of the first T2 20 man instance, Hemmerknell.

Quote Originally Posted by Terram View Post
    Lord Greenscale (always to be addressed as such) is the last boss of the first T1 20 man instance, Greenscale's Blight.
    Akylios is the final boss of the first T2 20 man instance, Hemmerknell.
    Ah alright, really cool. Now I got reason to do those. Does this mean in upcoming 1.5, that we will see 2 more dragon gods relating to the event theme? I think it's Fire and Earth on the PTS at the moment.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast