+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Whitefall Steppes: Escalation and the Guardians

Rift Disciple

Default Whitefall Steppes: Escalation and the Guardians

The Guardians believe Sourcestone to be holy and they use it to commune with the Vigil, and they consider it heretical for the Defiants to power their machines, right?

So what are they doing in Whitefall Steppes: Escalation? Using it to power a big cannon... a machine.

Now they're calling it stormstone in the actual warfront, but the 1.4 patch notes clearly say:

"* In their fight for dominance, the Guardians and Defiants have deployed massive rune cannons to the Whitefall Steppes. Their Ascended armies battle to collect and return Soucestone to fuel these powerful weapons."

So are the Guardians violating the Vigil because they want to harm the Defiants so much, whom they hate because they defy the Vigil?

Rift Chaser

Actually this seems like a gigantic oversight on the part of lore consistency.

*shrug*

PvP'ers don't care about lore.

Sword of Telara

My money's on the art team not really being sure if they wanted to make a statue of a Messenger of the Vigil in a Buddha position and praying to that to end the warfront, and just settled on using a rune cannon and the fact that it's technically Stormstone and not Sourcestone.

Either that, or they found the concept of a Messenger of the Vigil holding a giant cannon and waiting for 3 Stormstones absurd.

RIFT Community Ambassador Morvick's Avatar

The Runecannons don't burn up or wasted Sourcestone like Magitech cannons would.

Those guns are actually copies of the ones used to breach the Hammerknell gates, which the Guardians grudgingly agreed to the use of solely because it was Runemagic, and not Technomagic. Still uses Sourcestone, but in a different way so as to preserve it.
    Otherwise you're right, they would have said "Screw this, we've got a half-dozen trebuchets that say they can do as much damage as this fancy gun."
    Last edited by Morvick; 09-12-2011 at 02:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Morvick View Post
    The Runecannons don't burn up or wasted Sourcestone like Magitech cannons would.

Those guns are actually copies of the ones used to breach the Hammerknell gates, which the Guardians grudgingly agreed to the use of solely because it was Runemagic, and not Technomagic. Still uses Sourcestone, but in a different way so as to preserve it.
    Otherwise you're right, they would have said "Screw this, we've got a half-dozen trebuchets that say they can do as much damage as this fancy gun."
    So then, it stands to reason, once the Guardians have gotten their three stones and are able to fire the cannon, then they would not need to continually get more? Even if it somehow depleted the sourcestone, it would in effect be destroying it, would it not?

And if the rune cannons can do the same thing as magitech ones without depleting their fuel... seems like a whole new technology for the Defiants to reverse engineer. Maybe we can get these sanctimonious Guardians off our butts ;)

PvP Lore is viewed best from a military standpoint,

IE

if the defiants have a big cannon shooting at me, I shoot back with a bigger cannon and tell the priests in sanctum that I was using rock throwers.....

I was not chosen for my faith, Kill em all and let the gods sort it out...

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Astri View Post
    So then, it stands to reason, once the Guardians have gotten their three stones and are able to fire the cannon, then they would not need to continually get more? Even if it somehow depleted the sourcestone, it would in effect be destroying it, would it not?

And if the rune cannons can do the same thing as magitech ones without depleting their fuel... seems like a whole new technology for the Defiants to reverse engineer. Maybe we can get these sanctimonious Guardians off our butts ;)
    Problem with reverse-engineering the runebinding is that the rune cannons only worked because the doors to Hammerknell had runes on them. The cannonballs had the inverse of those same runes, thus every shot weakened the doors bit by bit. Which is why they stood there blasting away for so long. So for rune cannons to work for the Defiants, they'd have to send people to put runes onto whatever it is they're shooting first, then they can shoot the rune-engraved cannonballs at their target. Not the best solution.

Honestly I think the whole introduction of "stormstone" is a huge cop-out. It either paints the Guardians or the Defiants in a horribly bad light, depending on how you look at it. Either way, the lore could really use some clarification or maybe even editing in this area.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Lumenadducere View Post
    Problem with reverse-engineering the runebinding is that the rune cannons only worked because the doors to Hammerknell had runes on them. The cannonballs had the inverse of those same runes, thus every shot weakened the doors bit by bit. Which is why they stood there blasting away for so long. So for rune cannons to work for the Defiants, they'd have to send people to put runes onto whatever it is they're shooting first, then they can shoot the rune-engraved cannonballs at their target. Not the best solution.
    Where does all this precise and detailed information about Rift's Rune lore come from? Inverse runes being potent vs each other etc? o.O

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Asono View Post
    Where does all this precise and detailed information about Rift's Rune lore come from? Inverse runes being potent vs each other etc? o.O
    The Runeguard manning the rune cannons during the event. They're pretty much the only source of information we had/have.

I was not chosen for my faith, Kill em all and let the gods sort it out...
    Our beloved friend Frederic approves of that!

+ Reply to Thread