+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Terram
  • 1 Post By Morvick

Thread: Who was the first Defiant Paladin?

Default Who was the first Defiant Paladin?

there is a book on the first Paladin. but what about for my faction? Who was the first Defiant Paladin?

Sword of Telara

The 36 souls are all heroes from the Blood Storm Wars, from before "Guardian" or "Defiant" were even conceivable concepts.

There's only 28 heroes, actually. Some of the souls don't have an 'Age of Dragons' hero connected to them or were created more recently.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

*Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

The first Defiant paladin(s) would be ... you. The players. Bahmi don't have known paladins. Kelari don't have known paladins. Eth don't have known paladins. (it's really more of a Vigil-worshiping human race thing)

So as a Defiant, you would be an Ascended who is drawing upon (an) ancient soul(s) to attune yourself to the paladin skillset. The Ascended have therefore largely introduced the paladin style to the Defiant, though perhaps now it can be taught to mortal characters etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Terram View Post
    The 36 souls are all heroes from the Blood Storm Wars, from before "Guardian" or "Defiant" were even conceivable concepts.
    Yes this is true.

There was not 'Mathosian' but there WAS 'Eth' and there was various other human peoples not part of the Eth Empire.

Bahmi's ancestors were newcomers, and another whole type of being, eventually breeding with humans (hehe) to be their current form.

Kelari were starting and had a good conflict with(in) the elves.

And then there were dwarves.

And they all did their own things, whether it was involving Tavril, Bahralt, other 'good' gods, spirits, magitech, ancestor worship, etc. It wasn't such a hard line as it exists now with Guardian vs. Defiant.

NOTE: It can be argued that while some soul classes can be considered common (like pyromancer, elementalist, warlock for Mage, which used to be the mandatory 'starting souls' in alpha/beta, and have a lot of faction NPCs around the world), others are actually VERY uncommon, at least for the 'good guys'.

eg. Warlock = uncommon but of course some people will investigate these dark matters!
    but Necromancer = ooo damn, we actually have one of 'those' on *our* side? Interesting..

So for a paladin, I would think that they are not just a 'holy guard' (which we see a lot of), but a special sort of holy knight that is rather rare, and not just a spiritual-type Champion.

RIFT Community Ambassador Morvick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Terram View Post
    Back in the good old days when everyone was a proper God-fearing badass ready to make the most of their divine allies.

I can just hear the conversation as you convince a Blood Storm Hero soul to attune with you;
    "I tell ye, these young whippersnappers and their technomagic and their failsafes and their pan-planar optical dissemination goggles. We didn't have none of that back in my day. Know what we were issued by the old Kings? A stick and a rock! AND WE HAD TO SHARE THE ROCK! But we liked it, we loved it!"

(cough, On topic...)
    While I'm not sure of any Defiant Paladins, it's easy to assume that the Defiant version would be an Honor Guard or a stalwart knight, really anybody who makes frequent use of a shield, which certainly the Defiant have need of (more) to protect their (highly breakable) Magitech.
    Last edited by Morvick; 09-10-2011 at 10:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Plane Walker

this post makes me wonder which Dragon was the first to be imprisoned

Quote Originally Posted by Morvick View Post
    I can just hear the conversation as you convince a Blood Storm Hero soul to attune with you;
    "I tell ye, these young whippersnappers and their technomagic and their failsafes and their pan-planar optical dissemination goggles. We didn't have none of that back in my day. Know what we were issued by the old Kings? A stick and a rock! AND WE HAD TO SHARE THE ROCK! But we liked it, we loved it!"
    You might hear the opposite, actually. Magitech was largely invented during the Bloodstorm War, and was used to imprison several of the Dragons. It's one reason the Eth were so outraged when the Vigil outlawed it - it had been allowed and even encouraged before, when it was used exclusively for battle, but once the war was over and the Eth wanted to use magitech to improve their daily lives, it was suddenly an abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythue View Post
    this post makes me wonder which Dragon was the first to be imprisoned
    ...Gah. I know I've read somewhere that 'so-and-so was the first to be imprisoned'. Wheeeere.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

*Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Xerokine View Post
    You might hear the opposite, actually. Magitech was largely invented during the Bloodstorm War, and was used to imprison several of the Dragons. It's one reason the Eth were so outraged when the Vigil outlawed it - it had been allowed and even encouraged before, when it was used exclusively for battle, but once the war was over and the Eth wanted to use magitech to improve their daily lives, it was suddenly an abomination.

...Gah. I know I've read somewhere that 'so-and-so was the first to be imprisoned'. Wheeeere.
    I thought/assumed it was Greenscale and that we're going in the same order as the original war. I could be totally wrong though.

Plane Walker

Regarding the first dragon imprisoned, the only thing I came across so far was in this post:

http://forums.riftgame.com/lore-tela...risoned-2.html

a thought that Laethys was the first.

Quote Originally Posted by Xerokine View Post
    You might hear the opposite, actually. Magitech was largely invented during the Bloodstorm War, and was used to imprison several of the Dragons.
    The war lasted a loooong time. You're assuming the "soul" he was portraying as saying those things was alive at the time (towards the end of the Bloodstorm Wars) magitech was introduced into the wars. Hell, there were probably veterans at the time of the Bloodstorm Wars who were saying that .

+ Reply to Thread