+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Where the hell was farwind in the future!?

Soulwalker

Default Where the hell was farwind in the future!?

Okay any ideas where orphiel farwind was in the defiant starter zone you have sylver valis but where was orphiel is it he was killed by rifts or joined regulos? Also just saying even though the defiant ascended are working hard to stop their future from repeating but can they stop the corruption of shyla stonehearth?

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by namemissing View Post
    Okay any ideas where orphiel farwind was in the defiant starter zone you have sylver valis but where was orphiel is it he was killed by rifts or joined regulos? Also just saying even though the defiant ascended are working hard to stop their future from repeating but can they stop the corruption of shyla stonehearth?
    ... We don't know. Kind of obvious, if we knew all the thing that happened to lead to Terminus, the game would be REALLY boring and predictable.

Quote Originally Posted by namemissing View Post
    Re:Shyla. While Terminus has already been directly averted (from the Eye of Regulos area in the Lv 40s-50 zone Stillmoor), Shyla is not likely to be corrupted like she was in Terminus.

And well, it can be assumed that pretty much everyone outside of Lastlight has either died and become undead (mortals), or become corrupted (Ascended and powerful mortals), not just Shyla.

What Shyla's role MAY be, at some point... it could be foreshadowing that she could be on the way to corruption, or that we may have to do something regarding her potential corruption. Nothing more.

Otherwise, all her being in Terminus says is that "Guardians are not so holy. I mean look! - this was one of their leaders and now she's a slave of Regulos!". It is supposed to convince you to align yourself to the Defiants, whether it actually happens in the normal-timeline or not.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFunsocks View Post
    ... We don't know. Kind of obvious, if we knew all the thing that happened to lead to Terminus, the game would be REALLY boring and predictable.
    Yep.

The Terminus future is already stopped JUST by the Defiants coming from the failsafe. Whether it was a Defiant (as per the storyline) or a Guardian (doing the same quests-ish), the rift that would have brought Regulos was stopped. Even if it was a Guardian, that is only because of events that happen as a result of Defiant Ascended arriving. Otherwise, the Guardians would have focused on attacking Meridian and eventually steamrolled it, ignoring Stillmoor a lot more, and the machinations of Alsbeth. But because the Defiants are there, the Guardians have no choice but to bolster up their presence in many areas of Telara in response (even in as far away as Fortune's Shore!).

The big question is whether Orphiel's role would be explained or not. Four options imo:
    1)Handwaved. "It doesn't matter."
    2)Tiny explanation. You find an artifact or book in Quantum/Omen Sight that says where Orphiel went off to - to die, or work on something but fail, etc.
    3)Minor content. Maybe a questline related to this, or a couple in-game scenes, etc.
    4)BIG content relating to it. Basically as part of a much larger content update regarding Orphiel's plans for Telara, his meddling with the timelines and planes, etc.

I much prefer #4 . I see him as a figure that would have failed at his research and died long ago, but because of a combination of Vigil/Guardian action, and his own chaotic behavior in the timelines (creating Terminus, etc), it ensures his survival in order to do crazy crazy stuff ;)
    Last edited by Maeloda; 09-04-2011 at 11:09 AM.

Soulwalker

Well thanks hopefully ill get more replies but after doing guardain starter zone possibly with his quote

"Ill steal the vigils power if its the last thing i do!"

Perhaps he does do it but the gods power is too much killing or corrupting orphiel weakning the gods and the gods get slaughtered by the dragons

1)Orphiel was experimenting with the asenscion process on living beings, primarily, himself. The experiment failed and he was turned inside out.

2)Orphiel perfected the ascension process on a living being, himself. However it had unintended results. Namely, omnipotence, and the ability to travel through time and reality, manipulating events and altering the course of Telara's future.

3)Orphiel was the victim of an assassination plot.

4)Orphiel never existed, he was a member of the vigil all along.

5)The Telara we experience was not the first Telara, and Orphiel knows this, for he's responsible for shaping events, past, present, and future, to achieve an unfathomable endgame. He's studied all possible scenarios, witness all possible outcomes, and he knows all the moves that must take place, and how to nudge the pieces so they make those moves without suspecting his hand is guiding them. He's a super genious, with a plan. As for his dissapearance in the future? Personal failsafe!
    I have a photoshopic memory. I remember everything you say or do exactly the way I want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    As for his dissapearance in the future? Personal failsafe!
    I vote this one, personally. It fits with his personality that he'd built a second Failsafe, known only to himself, and use it as soon as things seemed as though there'd be no victory. It would also explain how Poor Tom thinks that, originally, the Guardians won and everything was fine - they did, but Meridian fell in the process, and the Defiants were all killed. Orphiel didn't accept this and changed something, causing Terminus. And now we go back to prevent Terminus.

But if he did build a second Failsafe, he would have built it after the first one. Which means that Future-Orphiel isn't here yet - and can only get here if Present-Orphiel actually builts the Failsafe. Which he may not, because we went further back into the past and have changed things. Which means that the First Failsafe worked, so Orphiel may not build a Second, and Future-Orphiel will have nothing to time-travel back to... oh dear, I've gone cross-eyed.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

*Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

Orphiel probably built his personal failsafe first, knowing that if they couldn't produce Ascended in the future, he could at least use his, go back, and give himself more time. With a "If you want something done right, do it yourself" sort of mentality.

But then there would be two Orphiels. Or maybe it works like in Dr. Who where if you encounter yourself, the previous you just vanishes in a sort of "Universe Auto-Balance" thing.
    Last edited by Zyphxion; 09-05-2011 at 02:08 PM.
    Zyph - <SICK> - Briarcliff - 50 - Kelari Male - Cleric
    Maerina - <SICK> - Briarcliff - 26 - Bahmi Female - Warrior
    Deneret - Unguilded - Briarcliff - 31 - Dwarf Female - Rogue
    Mihli - Unguilded - Briarcliff - 26 - Dwarf Female- Mage

I was thinking Orphiel may have perfected his failsafe later, that is to say, his doesn't need an anchor and allows him to fine tune his temporal travel to any point he chooses, without having to build the reciever first.
    I have a photoshopic memory. I remember everything you say or do exactly the way I want to.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    The Terminus future is already stopped JUST by the Defiants coming from the failsafe.
    That's not necessarily true, if you know anything about theoretical temporal paradox. Best case scenario is that the act of sending engineered Defiants back in time simply created a parallel universe where the world may or may not be destroyed by Regulos...and even then The Terminus does happen in the temporal branch universe that these Defiants come from.

Worst case scenario is that the act of sending people back in time is (or becomes) the actual underlying cause of The Terminus future. Or they may just be unable to prevent it. That happens 20 years in the future, so it's far too early to tell whether or not disaster has been averted.

You know, I found it odd that no one bothered to send you back with a chronology so that everyone would be better prepared

Oh well, makes for a more interesting playtime.
    Zyph - <SICK> - Briarcliff - 50 - Kelari Male - Cleric
    Maerina - <SICK> - Briarcliff - 26 - Bahmi Female - Warrior
    Deneret - Unguilded - Briarcliff - 31 - Dwarf Female - Rogue
    Mihli - Unguilded - Briarcliff - 26 - Dwarf Female- Mage

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Elistari View Post
    That's not necessarily true, if you know anything about theoretical temporal paradox. Best case scenario is that the act of sending engineered Defiants back in time simply created a parallel universe where the world may or may not be destroyed by Regulos...and even then The Terminus does happen in the temporal branch universe that these Defiants come from.

Worst case scenario is that the act of sending people back in time is (or becomes) the actual underlying cause of The Terminus future. Or they may just be unable to prevent it. That happens 20 years in the future, so it's far too early to tell whether or not disaster has been averted.
    Quantum Sight pretty much confirms that it's the former.

Plus, the loading screen in Stillmoor concerning the Eye of Regulos questline outright states that you were sent back in time to prevent THAT event from happening. Terminus happened because nobody went into the Eye and stopped Alsbeth from resurrecting Regulos. Regulos won, right then and there.

Quote Originally Posted by Elistari View Post
    Well, that can't be true. Or at least not the same way, since the cause of the Terminus future was that the Defiant had no Ascended and fell to the Guardians.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyphxion View Post
    You know, I found it odd that no one bothered to send you back with a chronology so that everyone would be better prepared
    They couldn't. After Meridian fell, the Defiants holed up underground. They have no idea what's been going on up topside; only that they opened the door and the world was ending.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Terram View Post
    Plus, the loading screen in Stillmoor concerning the Eye of Regulos questline outright states that you were sent back in time to prevent THAT event from happening. Terminus happened because nobody went into the Eye and stopped Alsbeth from resurrecting Regulos. Regulos won, right then and there.
    There is no timeline given for Regulos' destruction of Telara, but as Terminus is the last stand, it is fair to say that this destruction was not instantaneous...meaning that Regulos did not win "right then and there." But judging from the rush the technicians are in to get you to the Failsafe, I would say that it was pretty quick.

But just the act of traveling back in time and interacting with the events of the past has altered this past. Before, Alsbeth did what she did unopposed. Now she is opposed, and she knows there is opposition. Not being privy to the history that the Defiant Ascended are aware of, she couldn't do things exactly as they remember it even if she wanted to. As such, there is no longer a valid point of reference from which to judge success or failure. There was an entirely different chain of events set in motion the instant the first Defiant Ascended appeared at the Ark of the Ascended.

Even stopping Alsbeth does not make success a foregone conclusion. 20 years in the past, King Aedraxis attempted to summon Regulos. He ultimately failed due to Guardian interference. If Alsbeth is stopped, it is entirely possible that Regulos would find someone else to breach the ward.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Xerokine View Post
    Well, that can't be true. Or at least not the same way, since the cause of the Terminus future was that the Defiant had no Ascended and fell to the Guardians.
    That's what I meant by saying that the Defiant Ascended could theoretically end up being the underlying cause. The history that the Defiants remember has already been irrevocably changed by virtue of their very presence, so if the Terminus events were to happen again the chain of events leading up to them could (and most likely would) be entirely different.

In the movie "The Time Machine" (the more recent one), Dr. Alexander Hartdegen built his time machine after his fiancee was shot and killed by a mugger in the park. He used it to go back in time to prevent her death, but even though he successfully prevented the event in which she was killed, she died later in a different way. He later relates to his best friend that he had actually used his time machine a dozen times in an attempt to prevent her death, but each time he did she simply died in a different way. This is actually an existing theory on temporal paradoxes called "The Self-Repair Theory." It states that even if you successfully alter an event of the past, that the end result will still occur by another means.

There are, of course, numerous other theories regarding paradoxes, none of which can be proven or disproved without the ability to travel in time. I don't particularly subscribe to any of them. The only reason I'm entertaining the discussion is because temporal paradoxes are an interest of mine brought on by watching far too many movies and television shows on the subject.

This is actually addressed in the Defiant quest leading to 'Fall of Lantern Hook'. Orphiel detects a temporal anomaly and sends you to check it out, saying that he wants to see how the future has changed in response to the Failsafe's use. The result is the world still ending, but because of Maelforge. You later stop this during the quest chains in the Droughtlands.

Of course, Orphiel could be wrong and FoLH could merely be a glimpse into an alternate timeline like the Slivers, where Laethys or Akylios win instead. And the Akylios Sliver actually raises an interesting point; that if we can travel to those timelines, they can potentially travel to ours. I wonder if the Regulos from Terminus will be paying us a visit at some point...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast