+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 93
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 'Mortals'

  1. #1
    Plane Touched Kudaran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    209

    Default 'Mortals'

    So... a good majority of bosses in dungeons or raids imply that the Ascended are mortals. I'm not really sure if this is true because if we DO die, we just pop back up a few minutes later, ready to kick some *** again. So is this an oversight by Trion/Boss dialect, or am I misunderstanding the meaning of 'mortal'? o_O

  2. #2
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kudaran View Post
    So... a good majority of bosses in dungeons or raids imply that the Ascended are mortals. I'm not really sure if this is true because if we DO die, we just pop back up a few minutes later, ready to kick some *** again. So is this an oversight by Trion/Boss dialect, or am I misunderstanding the meaning of 'mortal'? o_O
    What I find strange is in the video clip that follows the Guardian character creation section the narrator clearly says we are descended not ascended... I just don't understand.

  3. #3
    Plane Touched Kudaran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    209

    Default

    It does? Hold on, gotta rewatch it now. Haven't seen it in a long time.

    Anyways, do Ascended (Descended?) die? Stop messing with my mind Trion, are we mortals or not?

    *Edit* Yep, it does. "They descended the worthy, not for their virtue, but for their might."
    Last edited by Kudaran; 09-03-2011 at 03:26 PM.

  4. #4
    Rift Disciple Zyphxion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    174

    Default

    I don't think Ascended die, however I think the dialogue is just enemies being cocky, and about how we all used to be mortals so to the bosses don't see any valid reason to accept us as anything else.

  5. #5
    Shield of Telara Xanian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    759

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kudaran View Post
    *Edit* Yep, it does. "They descended the worthy, not for their virtue, but for their might."
    Well.. you are Guardians after all.
    Last edited by Xanian; 09-03-2011 at 04:07 PM.

  6. #6
    Ascendant xanduin246's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,766

    Default

    yea it confuses me.. especially since the bahmi keep saying "may you live a thousand years"

  7. #7
    Prophet of Telara Muffinmans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,049

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xanduin246 View Post
    yea it confuses me.. especially since the bahmi keep saying "may you live a thousand years"
    I think thats exaggerated...
    Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    As for folks calling me a carebear, I've got 99 problems and being a carebear ain't one son. I've done far more than my share of virtual murder over the years. I've been part of alliances that have so heavily destabilized server balance in games that the other sides ceased to log in due to being so massively dominated.

  8. #8
    Shield of Telara Meharial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    602

    Default

    Seems to be an inperfect kind of immorality. We DO die, it just doesn't stick very well at the moment. And no one seems to know, if the "not staying dead" part is infallible. Endless Court and Regulos certainly don't seem to believe so. Not to mention, there doesn't seem to be an outward sign that says "this thing here is Ascended!"

    They may just be underestimating you, until you kick their *****.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxcalibur View Post
    Verily, Maelforge did say, "Suffer all the bros to come at me!"

    Yeah, that piece is canon.

  9. #9
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    150

    Default

    Well on the Defiant side there's that fainter who says "An Ascended! They DO exist!" so it does look like there's some kind of way to tell an Ascended from an ordinary mortal... but maybe we're still somehow mortal, at least compared to Gods or Dragons.
    WARNING: Contents may be Irish.
    <Bountiful> on Faeblight, 50 Mage Bahmi
    taking some time off in a galaxy far, far away.
    We're tiny but mighty! RAWR!

  10. #10
    Shield of Telara Meharial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    602

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Leiralei View Post
    Well on the Defiant side there's that fainter who says "An Ascended! They DO exist!" so it does look like there's some kind of way to tell an Ascended from an ordinary mortal... but maybe we're still somehow mortal, at least compared to Gods or Dragons.
    I saw that as more "the people who saw you come out of the Failsafe passed on your description so everyone knows what you look like." After all, the lore reads like you are the "only" one that came through, so you are somewhat of a celebrity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxcalibur View Post
    Verily, Maelforge did say, "Suffer all the bros to come at me!"

    Yeah, that piece is canon.

  11. #11
    Plane Touched INCdex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kudaran View Post
    So... a good majority of bosses in dungeons or raids imply that the Ascended are mortals. I'm not really sure if this is true because if we DO die, we just pop back up a few minutes later, ready to kick some *** again. So is this an oversight by Trion/Boss dialect, or am I misunderstanding the meaning of 'mortal'? o_O
    Just because a baddy says it doesn't mean it's the truth. I mean seriously all they do is hide in their own world. What do they really know?

  12. #12
    Ascendant Maeloda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    7,617

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Meharial View Post
    Seems to be an inperfect kind of immorality. We DO die, it just doesn't stick very well at the moment. And no one seems to know, if the "not staying dead" part is infallible. Endless Court and Regulos certainly don't seem to believe so. Not to mention, there doesn't seem to be an outward sign that says "this thing here is Ascended!"

    They may just be underestimating you, until you kick their *****.
    This!

    You're a demi-god that can come back from the dead (soul stream) pretty much. Your existence is mortal compared to many of your enemies, but you're powerful enough to KILL even them (them being 'immortal', ha!) and you have guidance (though Messengers or otherwise) to return to the world.

    You're technically mortal (can die) but so can these Blood Storm jerks. They just lived long enough to consider themselves immortal. Nothing is immortal, save for maybe the Vigil or somethin...

    Basically, you're being taunted.

  13. #13
    Ascendant Maeloda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    7,617

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Meharial View Post
    I saw that as more "the people who saw you come out of the Failsafe passed on your description so everyone knows what you look like." After all, the lore reads like you are the "only" one that came through, so you are somewhat of a celebrity.
    Not going to get too much into this because this isn't in Lore Discussion, but imo you are the FIRST, IMPORTANT Ascended to come through the failsafe, but it can be assumed that there are many others that were as well - and they are the Ascended you kick *** with. They (from a first-person lore perspective) may not have had the same adventures as you did, but they came through the failsafe from the/a Terminus future nonetheless.

    But since the lore goes by you being at least the FIRST Ascended Defiant (just like Guardians goes by you doing the stuff in the Eye of Regulos), yes, *many* will be surprised that you are an Eth/Bahmi/Kelari and also Ascended.

    I could be wrong with this, but it does seem that the lore has to acknowledge both that:
    1)You are an Ascended among many, fighting the Guardians and cults
    2)You are the 'only' Ascended from the future, yet there is no means to make Ascended yet (resurrection forges just bring someone back like Asha, and do not create super-powered Ascended).

    so I just go that you're the first, but not the only to come from a good number of Terminus futures.

  14. #14
    Champion
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    593

    Default

    Roll a mage, get Feign Death - never have to die again.

    I was really surprised to see a mage have this, my WoW friends are envious, and their hunters hate me lol.

    Seriously, it seems hinted at in some areas that you're the only one, yet it seems also accepted that there are others. Also, I think on the Guardian side, you come back 20 years later (after that last fight), if I remember correctly? Guess they really didn't need you that much and kept you on ice, just in case.

    You're supposed to be a being with supernatural powers but have to take the necro/lock souls to get Feign Death lol. Also, there are quit a few times when people address you as if you're some low ranking peon who shouldn't be in the same room. Can't think of any specific examples right now, but I remember thinking "hey, be a little more grateful that I'm here, otherwise you and your family would be toast."

    But, it's interesting how Trion made us come alive, and I think it's unique, although I have no idea if this is different from other MMOs since this is only my second one.

  15. #15
    Shield of Telara Meharial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    602

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raptor7 View Post

    You're supposed to be a being with supernatural powers but have to take the necro/lock souls to get Feign Death lol. Also, there are quit a few times when people address you as if you're some low ranking peon who shouldn't be in the same room. Can't think of any specific examples right now, but I remember thinking "hey, be a little more grateful that I'm here, otherwise you and your family would be toast."

    But, it's interesting how Trion made us come alive, and I think it's unique, although I have no idea if this is different from other MMOs since this is only my second one.
    The whole Guardian intro smacks of some expert manipulation to me, tbh. Why not keep the Ascended around for 20 years, undermining the Defiant and taking down the rifts? Why put them on ice for two decades, when we don't die of old age? Someone taken from everything they knew, thrust into a war with only a few familiar faces (Borrin, shyla, Cyril) after a traumatic experience...anyone would become almost co-dependent...

    As for people being ungrateful, well, jealousy would play a part I would assume.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxcalibur View Post
    Verily, Maelforge did say, "Suffer all the bros to come at me!"

    Yeah, that piece is canon.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts