+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 66
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: The Dragon Prisons or: Where the hell is Maelforge?

  1. #1
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    37

    Default The Dragon Prisons or: Where the hell is Maelforge?

    I'm quite interested in the lore and currently I'm somewhat occupied with finding hints on where the remaining dragons are imprisoned.

    The Locations know are obviously those of Greenscale and Akylios in Stillmoore. Hammerknell has been hinted since Release as being Akylios Prison by the last boss of AP and observing other Instances nets several more hints.

    We know Regulos Body is shattered around the world, proven by the fact that Alsbeth is assembling them throughout the world. His "spirit" is sealed out, rather than being imprisoned.

    Artifacts of the last battle of Crucia lead to the conclusion that she was destroyed and sealed somewhere in IPP.

    And there comes the point where things get blurry.

    Caelia talks to someone in Expert CC. Her place there is called Golden Sanctum. This as well as what she says seems to hint she's talking to an imprisoned Laethys.

    However as I miss hints to the prison of Maelforge, I cannot be sure it's not him being imprisoned there. I somewhat remember reading about Maelforge to have been taken down in Shimmersand, but I can't seem to find anything on that.

    Other possible Prisons could be located in Droughtlands (as Lanternhook is the Hub of his Dragoncult in the Future shown by its instance, or maybe behind the door the last boss of King's Breach is guarding.

    Anyone who's more hints on that? Or maybe some traceable hints that could back up the rumor Maelforge could be imprisoned on one of the Kelari Islands?

  2. #2
    Ascendant Anuhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6,003

    Default

    Greenscale - Stillmoor
    Akylios - Hammerknell
    Regulos - Banished
    Crucia - IPP under ice
    Laethys - We think Shimmersand
    Maelforge - I am betting on Ember Isle

  3. #3
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    37

    Default

    To be honest I don't care what you're betting at, I'm curious about what your bet is based on. I do not remember any hints in current lore pointing at ember island whatsoever, but I don't think I know everything so please share your thoughts.

    Ember Island will be a new zone in a while, and it got a volcano, but that's hardly enough for me to think it's Maelforges prison. Charmers Cladera is also a Volcano, so referencing on that feature Maelforge could be locked there as well.

    Imprisoning the dragon of fire under a volcano cannot be called clever after all.

  4. #4
    Ascendant Anuhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6,003

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrophoria View Post
    To be honest I don't care what you're betting at, I'm curious about what your bet is based on. I do not remember any hints in current lore pointing at ember island whatsoever, but I don't think I know everything so please share your thoughts.

    Ember Island will be a new zone in a while, and it got a volcano, but that's hardly enough for me to think it's Maelforges prison. Charmers Cladera is also a Volcano, so referencing on that feature Maelforge could be locked there as well.

    Imprisoning the dragon of fire under a volcano cannot be called clever after all.
    Two things I'm basing it on.
    Timing being the first, we are slowly getting introduced more to fire, egg shells and the upcoming 10 man. This would lead nicely into Maelforge being the next dragon raid, Ember Isle is expected some time after the 10 man although it is possible Laethys could be between.
    Secondly, based on the imprisoning method, water would fit well, while Ember Isle fits with fire, I take that as theme for Maelforge rather than anything else, even present because of Maelforge or the cult of. Ember Isle is of course an Island, surrounded by water. What really draws me to the theory though is a certain part of Ember Isle, look at the videos on Youtube or anywhere else linking them. You will see a part of it which uncannily resembles the plain of water concept art and looks very much to me like a likely candidate for Maelforge's prison.
    Last edited by Anuhart; 08-23-2011 at 07:39 AM.

  5. #5
    Plane Walker Rizz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    437

    Default

    Pretty sure Maelforge is in Droughtlands, last mission in Drought (at least as Guardian) you stop the summoning (freeing?) of him.
    Rathi@Gelidra <Invictus>
    IRotP: Conqueror | NM TD: 4/4

  6. #6
    Ascendant Maeloda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    7,617

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rizz View Post
    Pretty sure Maelforge is in Droughtlands, last mission in Drought (at least as Guardian) you stop the summoning (freeing?) of him.
    No, you stop the Wanton from committing another Convocation disaster. I could be wrong there though, but at least their plan involved that.

    As I said in another recent thread:

    Yeah I'd have to go with this one. Based on known stuff + theorized stuff:

    Regulos - Beyond the Ward in the Plane of Death (his shattered pieces are of his SHADE, not body. His body and spirit are largely on the Plane of Death, battering down onto the Ward)
    Greenscale - Stillmoor (physical form dead, was bound by death)
    Akylios - Moonshade Highlands (physical form dead, was bound under Hammerknell)
    Maelforge - Ember Isle, etc (possibly in a few patches from now)
    Crucia - Iron Pine Peak (under the ice)
    Laethys - Shimmersand (under Charmer's Caldera)

    As for upper level zones, I can forgive Droughtlands for not having a dragon because its more of a 'this is an Eth Convocation lore place', but I'm curious how Planetouched Wilds will play into the lore.

  7. #7
    Ascendant Maeloda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    7,617

    Default

    Honestly, based on how the last 3 (or 4) areas of dragons have been, we'll just have to wait and see.

    Greenscale is in Stillmoor, which is quite Deathly (so the opposite), imprisoned by Death.
    Akylios is in Moonshade Highlands, which is more (outside of Abyssal presence trying to get him out) Death or Life, imprisoned by Death. (nothing Fire is involved)
    Crucia is in Iron Pine Peak, defeated by a pyromancer (Fire), but imprisoned by cold (Water). Her presence however keeps the area how it is, as she is trapped and not 'bound', so Iron Pine Peak stays how it was since she was trapped - cold and icy and *windy*.

    So its really all over the place. Basically the only rule to follow is that Maelforge won't be trapped by Fire, and Laethes won't be trapped by Earth. Laethes will likely be trapped by Fire (though the Storm Legion is involved in CC, and Golden Maw are trying to get in, Fire is the theme of the area), so Maelforge (by process of elimination) may be trapped by... not Death... not Fire, so:
    -Life (perhaps, for Ember Isle or Planetouched Wilds)
    -Water (may work, if he's on Ember Isle)
    -Earth (Droughtlands?)


    We have 3 main locations, so we'll see in the next couple months what Trion will do. Oh, and there's also Gloamwood as a remote possibility, given the tunnels that the goblins have, and how Maelforge seems to be terrorizing Gloamwood in the Vigil vision, but its not likely imo.

    It could be that Ember Isle includes a sliver that involves the Wanton and Maelforge heading there, BUT they are heading there from somewhere else, whether it is Planetouched Wilds or Droughtlands.

    What can be pretty much assumed is that Maelforge likely is not in any of the Lv 1-35 zones (only Gloamwood or Scarlet Gorge are even possible), or Moonshade Highlands, or IPP, or Stillmoor, and very likely not Shimmersand. We have 3-5 locations, and only 2-3 of them are very likely. Can't wait to find out

  8. #8
    Plane Walker Xerokine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    475

    Default

    The whole point of the prisons (except Crucia's, which was too obvious to hide) was that the cults wouldn't know where they were, so they couldn't free them. They've been hidden for over a thousand years. They were hidden very well. If it was blindingly obvious where the prisons were, they would've been found before now.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

    *Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

  9. #9
    Ascendant Sinndel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rizz View Post
    Pretty sure Maelforge is in Droughtlands, last mission in Drought (at least as Guardian) you stop the summoning (freeing?) of him.
    Actually, the ritual you stop in Droughtlands is a ritual to summon Emberlord Ereetu, who appears as the last boss of Fall of Lantern hook. Fall of lantern hook is "what would have happened if you didn't", wich tells us how Emberlord Ereetu is the only one who holds the key to Maelforges prison. By the end of FOLH, you witness Emberlord Ereetu and his minions freeing Maelforge, however I don't know if this necessarily means Maelforge is imprisoned in Lantern Hook, or if he just came back after razing the planet.

    However, if I only go by the clues, the ritual to free Maelforge should be performed at his prison, leading me to believe Maelforges prison is indeed lantern hook. Another reason to believe this, is from what I know about imprisoning the dragons, only contrary elements work. So to trap fire you need water. Lots of water. Possibly, all the water in the region. Perhaps the reason for the endless drought.

    Ember Island seems to be a pretty peculiar location for his prison, since no clues from the lore point there, and I think people are just going "Ember = fire, Maelforge = fire. Ember = Maelforge!!! Wich is a pretty illogical connection, considering "Ember" is just the islands name, and not at all a reference to anything.
    I have a photoshopic memory. I remember everything you say or do exactly the way I want to.

  10. #10
    Plane Walker Xerokine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    By the end of FOLH, you witness Emberlord Ereetu and his minions freeing Maelforge, however I don't know if this necessarily means Maelforge is imprisoned in Lantern Hook, or if he just came back after razing the planet.
    Actually, FoLH happens after Maelforge has been freed for a while and has already destroyed pretty much the entire planet. The NPCs mention that in the beginning; they ask where the hell you were, say how everything has been burned, etc. He comes back at the end of the dungeon to finish the job, having noticed that the Ascended have 'returned' from his point of view.

    Which isn't to say his prison isn't there, of course. Keep in mind the well beneath Lantern's Hook. I wonder what's really beneath that well.
    Last edited by Xerokine; 08-23-2011 at 03:44 PM.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

    *Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

  11. #11
    Ascendant Sinndel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xerokine View Post
    Actually, FoLH happens after Maelforge has been freed for a while and has already destroyed pretty much the entire planet. The NPCs mention that in the beginning; they ask where the hell you were, say how everything has been burned, etc. He comes back at the end of the dungeon to finish the job, having noticed that the Ascended have 'returned' from his point of view.

    Which isn't to say his prison isn't there, of course. Keep in mind the well beneath Lantern's Hook. I wonder what's really beneath that well.
    Regardless, the ritual summoned Emberlord Ereetu and Ereetu freed Maelforge. The Remnants of the ritual to free Maelforge are there, and the NPC's are all like "You're too late to stop it" as is typical of evil doers monologue. SO the ritual took place in Lantern Hook, wich is what I drew my conclusion from.
    Last edited by Sinndel; 08-23-2011 at 03:49 PM.
    I have a photoshopic memory. I remember everything you say or do exactly the way I want to.

  12. #12
    Sword of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    Regardless, the ritual summoned Emberlord Ereetu and Ereetu freed Maelforge. The Remnants of the ritual to free Maelforge are there, and the NPC's are all like "You're too late to stop it" as is typical of evil doers monologue. SO the ritual took place in Lantern Hook, wich is what I drew my conclusion from.
    Lantern Hook is the LAST place that hasn't been destroyed by Maelforge. It stands to reason that everybody would converge and torch it. The presence of important Wanton members and implements means very little.

  13. #13
    Ascendant Sinndel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Terram View Post
    Lantern Hook is the LAST place that hasn't been destroyed by Maelforge. It stands to reason that everybody would converge and torch it. The presence of important Wanton members and implements means very little.
    And you got that from where exactly? Lantern Hook has obviously been torched long before you get there, so just curious what orriface you pulled that conclusion from.
    I have a photoshopic memory. I remember everything you say or do exactly the way I want to.

  14. #14
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Terram View Post
    Lantern Hook is the LAST place that hasn't been destroyed by Maelforge. It stands to reason that everybody would converge and torch it. The presence of important Wanton members and implements means very little.
    Helena brass says that this is all that's left of telera or words to that effect. I can't find the quote exactly though.

    It's not clear what happened in the other reality, whether ereetu summon maelforge or something else happened. All that's certain is that the ascended failed. Sinndel's theory that ereetu freed maelforge (I'm not sure there's any implication he's the only one but that's not impossible) is far from impossible, and it's possible ereetu is where the ascended failed. However to say anything other than "the ascended failed, maelforge and his army is free" is conjecture, even how they failed. And in all honest, given that the two realities have already converged quite a way, not really important. However lantern hook being the last place standing seems to indicate that it was where maelforge rose, not where many of his army were, because it wouldn't be the last place standing if that's the case.

    Maelforge could be beneath the ember isle, as being surrounded by ocean would be a good prison.

    Also I'm pretty sure the dragons we "killed" are infact just setback. However we've killed them because they've been close to breaking free, or are in the process of doing so when we turn up. They will be back no doubt but we've cast them out of telera and they now need to be ressumoned. Which is an improvement over "I'll be out soon". A lot of people including NPCs have said it's debateable as to whether they can even be killed. If the vigil themselves can't do it, the odds are we can only throw them back for a while.
    Last edited by Devicus; 08-24-2011 at 09:26 PM.

  15. #15
    Rift Chaser Vigour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    East Coast, USA
    Posts
    283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anuhart View Post
    Greenscale - Stillmoor
    Akylios - Hammerknell
    Regulos - Banished
    Crucia - IPP under ice
    Laethys - We think Shimmersand
    Maelforge - I am betting on Ember Isle
    Im thinking that Port Scion is infested with death because that is the resting place of regulos.
    <The Endless Court>
    Ovee - r4 Cleric | Skigoboom - r6 Warrior
    ^5/5 GSB - 4/4 ROS - 4/4 GP - 4/4 DH - 5/11 HK^



+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts