+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sylver and meaning of ...............

Default Sylver and meaning of ...............

In the story about Sylver Valis, Anthousa Monsa said to Sylver, "Oh, do come along you spiritless nalthema.

Ok, didn't know that word, so looked it up. There isn't any word "nalthema" that I could tell. The closest I come to is anathema which can be derogatory for something (one) disliked or a formal curse by a pope or church in excommunicating a person or doctrine.

So obviously, nalthema is a made up word, but does it mean the same thing as anathema? If so, why wasn't anathema used? It's obvious the priestess has a dislike of Sylver and the word nalthema was meant as a slur.

Guess it was just a made up word instead of using anathema. Anyone venture as to whether this is the case or not?

I can only think of 2 things. Spelling error, or they wanted to make a point of not using a word with religious context. I'm not even sure anathema is what they were going for as even that doesn't seem to fit, and it's used several times later in the game anyway.
    Last edited by Sinndel; 08-21-2011 at 01:59 PM.
    I have a photoshopic memory. I remember everything you say or do exactly the way I want to.

My guess is a Telaran/Kelari word which will later be explained.

Tangent, so this is an introduction to the new AA, from a Defiant stand.
    Last edited by Anuhart; 08-21-2011 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    You obviously know nothing about Laethys, have you tried him?
    I don't log in anymore.

Oh, I forgot, in addition to it being the name of a mob in droughtlands, Anathema is also an infiltrator ability that I hate, so I don't know why they would intentionally avoid using it in this quote. So we're still with spelling mistake, or Kelari dialect.
    I have a photoshopic memory. I remember everything you say or do exactly the way I want to.

I'm going with 'it's a Kelari word'. We know it's a slur, and likely one related to how Sylver doesn't have any spirit links. I'd say it means "spiritless", but she says 'spiritless nalthema'. Of course, it could be like saying, 'you stupid idiot'.

Looking at anathema, which has a rather amusing history - it originally meant something to be 'sent up' to God, which meant something sacrificed, then being called a sacrifice was seen as being accursed, so the meaning of the word changed from "something given to god" to "something detested or loathed". Well, I found it amusing.

Anyway. So if we look at 'anathema' to mean 'given to god', or 'given to the spirits', then nalthema may mean something not given to the spirits, or something separate from them. Spiritless, basically. Of course, before Sinn jumps on me like a rabbit on ******, that's just me musing aloud.

Edit: Really? The name for a popular male potency drug is censored? Interesting.
    Last edited by Xerokine; 08-21-2011 at 03:25 PM.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

*Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Xerokine View Post
    Anyway. So if we look at 'anathema' to mean 'given to god', or 'given to the spirits', then nalthema may mean something not given to the spirits, or something separate from them. Spiritless, basically. Of course, before Sinn jumps on me like a rabbit on ******, that's just me musing aloud.
    For all we know, it could be the Kelari word for suppository. Or would that be Analthema? Just musing aloud O_o

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    For all we know, it could be the Kelari word for suppository. Or would that be Analthema? Just musing aloud O_o
    I think 'analthema' would be 'a rectal spirit', actually. Or giving your anus to the spirits. I think we've discovered why bathrooms don't exist in Telara.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

Plane Walker

I loved reading this it seemed to me that Anthousa knows a little insecurity of Sylver's that is related to this name she called him and since I see Sylver as a Loki type of character, the only thing I can think of is that in Norse mythology, Nal is the mother of Loki, thema maybe theme, but spiritless, I don't know, Sylver seems anything but spiritless to me.

and now I wonder about the crushing insecurity of Orphiel's that has to do with collars.

and it is also nice to know that The Ascended are already one with the elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythue View Post
    I loved reading this it seemed to me that Anthousa knows a little insecurity of Sylver's that is related to this name she called him and since I see Sylver as a Loki type of character, the only thing I can think of is that in Norse mythology, Nal is the mother of Loki, thema maybe theme, but spiritless, I don't know, Sylver seems anything but spiritless to me.
    By 'spiritless', Anthousa means that Sylver lacks any spirit links that almost every Kelari has; a bond with some elemental spirit that does their bidding in return for a gift or a service.

and now I wonder about the crushing insecurity of Orphiel's that has to do with collars.
    It's a running joke that Orphiel has a 'dozen collars' that he tugs on whenever he's nervous. You can see it on his character model, and it's mentioned in Orphiel's character biography as well.

I think 'analthema' would be 'a rectal spirit', actually. Or giving your anus to the spirits. I think we've discovered why bathrooms don't exist in Telara.
    Or going by this meaning:

it originally meant something to be 'sent up' to God.
    A suppository.

which meant something sacrificed.
    And now I'm slighty disturbed at the thought of making a sacrifice to an anal god.

Ooh. The 'ana' is the 'sent up' part, though; so it'd be more like 'anaanal'; 'sent up the anus'. 'Analthema' would be... 'the anus to god' or something...

Ooh. The 'ana' is the 'sent up' part, though; so it'd be more like 'anaanal'; 'sent up the anus'. 'Analthema' would be... 'the anus to god' or something...
    Oh.... well then back to the topic I might be willing to concur with your interpretation of nalthema, as being the opposite of anathema, under it's OLD definition. Anathema meaning sent up to god/spirits, and nalthema meaning without god/spirits, or disregarded by god/spirits. Referring to his lack of a spirit link you mentioned earlier.

+ Reply to Thread