+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: A question on High Elven age.

  1. #1
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    72

    Default A question on High Elven age.

    There are a good deal of threads and topics over this, but they all contradict. It seems the common consensus in game is that elves live to be thousands of years, but sources on the web say three hundred. Can anyone give me an official Trion source that states how old elves are?

  2. #2
    Ascendant Maeloda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    7,617

    Default

    I'm interested in this as well.


    I think I just went with the internal assumption that they generally live hundreds of years, and die of something at some point, but if smart + wise + magical + etc, they can live thousands (in the low range).

  3. #3
    Plane Walker Xerokine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Notleriff View Post
    There are a good deal of threads and topics over this, but they all contradict. It seems the common consensus in game is that elves live to be thousands of years, but sources on the web say three hundred. Can anyone give me an official Trion source that states how old elves are?
    Here.

    Elves do not live to be thousands of years old. The average lifespan of both Kelari and High Elves is 300.

    What 'common consensus' in game is telling you that it's thousands of years? Or do you just mean players assuming that?
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

    *Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

  4. #4
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,471

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xerokine View Post
    Here.

    Elves do not live to be thousands of years old. The average lifespan of both Kelari and High Elves is 300.

    What 'common consensus' in game is telling you that it's thousands of years? Or do you just mean players assuming that?
    Many npc's ingame say things like "May you live for a thousand years" and stuff like that

    Maybe its just ascended though who can live that long..
    "Power is neccessary because conflict will never dissappear"

  5. #5
    Plane Walker Xerokine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    475

    Default

    Well, who knows how long Ascended live. It's not like they've been around long enough to die of old age yet. The 'may you live a thousand years' thing sounds like a ritualistic greeting, though. "Banzai", for example, is a Japanese saying usually translated as 'long life', but which literally means 'ten thousand years'. I doubt anyone was actually saying, "I hope and fully expect you to live for ten thousand years", however.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

    *Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

  6. #6
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xerokine View Post
    What 'common consensus' in game is telling you that it's thousands of years? Or do you just mean players assuming that?
    Thank you. Yes, I meant that players seem to assume that elves live thousands of years, possibly due to blending elves from other games.

  7. #7
    Plane Walker Halman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    472

    Default

    Many npc's ingame say things like "May you live for a thousand years" and stuff like that

    Maybe its just ascended though who can live that long..
    What is the point of wishing someone something that is easily attainable? Imagine someone told you irl may you live for 50 years. Ok, so now what? you'd say. Of course it's a bit exaggerated - its a formal greeting after all.

  8. #8
    Sword of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    832

    Default

    "I have centuries with this art."

    Being that everybody who says that is elven in some form, I'm willing to believe it.

  9. #9
    Rift Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Terram View Post
    "I have centuries with this art."

    Being that everybody who says that is elven in some form, I'm willing to believe it.
    If the elf was over 200.. then that would be fine. 200 is "centuries".

  10. #10
    Shield of Telara Meharial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    602

    Default

    "May you live a thousand years" is a congratulatory greeting towards the ruling class, first seen invoked by Mathosia towards it's kings.

    Source- Adenburgh proclamation about Aedraxis' new reign, ending with "Long live King Aedraxis, May he live a thousand years!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxcalibur View Post
    Verily, Maelforge did say, "Suffer all the bros to come at me!"

    Yeah, that piece is canon.

  11. #11
    Ascendant Maeloda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    7,617

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Meharial View Post
    "May you live a thousand years" is a congratulatory greeting towards the ruling class, first seen invoked by Mathosia towards it's kings.

    Source- Adenburgh proclamation about Aedraxis' new reign, ending with "Long live King Aedraxis, May he live a thousand years!"
    It could be far older than that. Or even a greeting borne from the knowledge of the existence of the Vigil or Blood Storm, that they are many thousands of years old.

    Just saying that it doesn't need to be only from Mathosia, but rather all of Telara and just embraced by the Mathosians, elves, etc.

  12. #12
    Shield of Telara Meharial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    602

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    It could be far older than that. Or even a greeting borne from the knowledge of the existence of the Vigil or Blood Storm, that they are many thousands of years old.

    Just saying that it doesn't need to be only from Mathosia, but rather all of Telara and just embraced by the Mathosians, elves, etc.
    True, but this is the earliest we've seen it in game atm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxcalibur View Post
    Verily, Maelforge did say, "Suffer all the bros to come at me!"

    Yeah, that piece is canon.

  13. #13
    Ascendant Maeloda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    7,617

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Meharial View Post
    True, but this is the earliest we've seen it in game atm.
    It's just that the fact that SO many Elves say it, makes it seem like the Mathosians picked it up from their relationship with the Elves, who used it while in harmony with the Vigil.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts