+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Evil, Horde vs Alliance, and the Defiant

Shadowlander

Default Evil, Horde vs Alliance, and the Defiant

I doubt this will get a lot of serious attention, but I had to point out something that has bothered me in the burgeoning community of Rift players:

There is no playable, evil faction.

There are those who trust the gods and faith, and those who trust magitech and individuality. I've read a lot that has lead me to believe that this bit of lore and history is unknown to a lot of future Rift players, or ignored because they are used to having good vs evil factions. One of my favorite things about Rift when I first stumble upon this site, months ago, was the lack of such black and white distinctions. There IS an evil faction, and that would be the followers of Regulos and the dragons. Both the Guardians and Defiant are trying to save the world.

I heard someone comment that Defiant seemed like the evil faction, since two of the three races had dark, blue/purple skin. Obviously good races have lighter skin, and evil races darker, right?

The thing that I found odd is that, given its great success and large fan base, I would wager that a lot of people here have come from WoW. In fact, I know many people who have never played any other MMO. I would expect their perceptions and expectations to be colored by this fact.

That said... don't the good elves have dark skin, and the bad elves have light skin?

Both of the factions in Rift have been weakened by corruption in the past, and both have risen up to purge themselves of it. Both are trying to save the world. They disagree on how to do that, and fight one another since they lack a single leader to unify them.

If you play as one faction, and see the other as the enemy, that is not only ok, but in keeping with the game lore. If you play Defiant because you want to be 'evil', however, I ask a favor:

Please, just stay off RP severs.

Defiant are pretty evil to me
    Processor: i7 920 2.7Ghz 4 Cores
    RAM: 12 GB Corsair DDR3
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 GB
    Hard Disk: 2 TB
    Triton Gaming Headset For Ventrilo

Soulwalker

Last time I checked the Horde ,as it stands now , is actually good.

To me it's not good vs evil, it's religion vs science. There are zealots on both sides that will do evil out of their own selfish ambitions, and there are good folk on both sides that fight for what they believe to be the best for mankind. Where they both go wrong is there is no compromise in between, and imbalance in humanity always causes problems. And while Religion and Science wage war, Regulos can slip in while they are distracted fighting each other. It is in his best interest to have his enemies divided against each other rather than combining an effort against him.

Shadowlander

I must say I'm heartened to get some good responses!

Onarye, of course they are, you're a Guardian.

shadowhito, I've spent maybe a total of 10 hours in WoW since is came out six years ago, and none of it was recently. I think my point came through, however.

defafnyr, quite right! Again, one of the things that got me interested in the game was the huge grey areas. Both factions have their faults and their triumphs, and the strife between them is the greatest threat to Telara, as seen in the Defiant intro, in which it lead to the victory of Regulos.

Shadowlander

tl;dr but horde isn't evil in WoW lore either.

When one of the responders said that Regulos was just waiting for a good opportunity to strike while we fight each other, its kinda the point I had made some many moons ago when it looked almost like the Horde and the Alliance would have put aside their differences to face the Lich King. After Wrathgate, however, that became impossible.

And to answer that about the dark/light good/evil elves, eh the light elves got screwed by the oh so good Alliance to begin with but I won't get started on THAT soapbox lol

I will agree with the OP however - there are many shades of grey within the lore of this game, and taking into consideration free will, well evil is as evil does. And you know what the road to hell is paved with lol Personally, I'm Defiant and good....as I'm sure there are some that play their Guardian a lil bit more evil. That's just people for you.

Cyn
    I didn't spend seven aeons feasting on the souls of the righteous just so I could play typing games with the functionally illiterate. - Kil "Kilzone" Jaden (Scourge Chat Log)

There will be a time when loud-mouthed, incompetent people seem to be getting the best of you. When that happens, you only have to be patient and wait for them to self destruct. It never fails. - Richard Rybolt

Cyntara - Holy Warrior of the Defiant
    Psynedra - Warlock Dominator of the Defiant

Good post except good elves were Blood Elves.

Shadowlander

Ok, well... as stated, I don't really know the Warcraft lore, I just knew that I made a night elf WAY back, and I recall being Alliance. I feel like my point came across.

Cyntara, I plan on Defiant and good as well. I was having a blast(ha! I'm so funny...) with variations on rogue saboteurs, but at the VERY end of the weekend beta event, I made a Bahmi cleric that I had a lot of fun with.
    The idea of an 'evil' Guardian is really intriguing, as well... I could totally see a zealot SO obsessed with their cause that, eventually, any sacrifice is worth it.
    For all the server-side tech, marketing buzzwords, haters, and fanboys, what makes or breaks the experience in almost every case is the community. This forum gives me hope that Rift will turn out really well.

The purpose of the lore was to give you a sense that the faction you choose is correct and good.

It might be the most realistic faction choosing EVER. Where most MMOs tell you good vs. evil this one, like that of DAoC, just gives you a question:

What do you stand for?

Defiant stand for power through intelligence and using their own might to "fix" the world that was lost. They blame the gods for failing them.

Guardians live in a world where the gods are enabling them to "fix" their world. They know nothing of the future because they are building their future today.

When the two meet and clash it is because the Defiant are jaded, they know what is to come, and they are sick of Guardians telling them that things can change. They are focused on changing their future with their minds.

The Guardians pity the Defiant and their turning against their gods. They are passionately attached to making the future the opposite of what the Defiant have spoke of.

There is a clear good and evil but it's your decision. What kind of person are you - do you turn away from faith and begin to write your own history or do you continue to be vigilant and believe that through their power you can weather the oncoming storm?

Its very poetic really. To be of the heart or the mind - neither is truly a curse but both are damned in some way.
    Shagroth, GM of Myth

a Belmont Guardian Guild
    http://www.Myth-Guild.net

Quote Originally Posted by shadowhito View Post
    Last time I checked the Horde ,as it stands now , is actually good.
    It's bordering on evil at the moment, particularly with the presence of the Forsaken. The Defiant/Guardian struggle seems far more philosophically motivated to me, whereas Horde/Alliance is more conventional territorial warfare. I am hoping Trion makes an effort to keep the two factions in heated conflict, rather than watering them down and homogeneising them as Blizzard did with its two factions. Moreover, I hope it allows for the possibility of a third faction later, but that's more of an idle wish.

Good post except good elves were Blood Elves.
    They bordered on being evil. :P
    Last edited by Naralthan; 01-12-2011 at 12:37 PM.

General of Telara

One of the things that intrigued me most about the game was the whole 'there is no good vs evil' as others have said, its science vs religion. Some Guardians will be so fanatical they are evil, some science loving Defiants will be mad and evil, but in general, each sides goals are noble they just differ in opinions.
    I still have not decided which faction I will be playing.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Asteldian View Post
    One of the things that intrigued me most about the game was the whole 'there is no good vs evil' as others have said, its science vs religion. Some Guardians will be so fanatical they are evil, some science loving Defiants will be mad and evil, but in general, each sides goals are noble they just differ in opinions.
    I'll probably be mostly Defiant, simply because I think the Bahmi are an interesting race, but I'm she I'll have a Guardian or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Asteldian View Post
    Truly the Defiant seem to be the evil. Following Guardian lore, the Gods did not turn on them the helped them to found their main city that stands today. The Defiant seem obsessed on their techomagic to the point of having no morals. It seems that it is a interesting argument but fundamentally flawed and tilted to the Defiant.

This games lore insinuates that the Gods power comes from the sourcestone and that *mortals* , the Defiant, can use the Gods power to their own ends. Seems kinda biased from the start. However, in RL most religious are grounded in nothing more than faith. Little to no hard proof as it were. In Rift, the Gods here have definately intervened and continue to help the Guardians. Trion definately created an interesting platform to base their lore.

That said........I'm rolling Guardian

Exactly! Thank you

There really isnt a 'good' or 'evil' faction. The thing that seperates them is ideaology.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast