+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Souls

Default Souls

I've been trying to come up with a way to make the lore work for me and am struggling with the concept of 'soul'. Perhaps it is the word choice, but I'm finding it difficult to understand a few things:

1: Why would the Guardians and Defiant have access to the same souls? You would think that "Guardian" souls would be more than willing to submit themselves to an Ascended Guardian to be of use to their Gods even after death or to attone and gain/regain their God's favor but kind of uncooperative if not downright hostile to an Ascended Defiant as that would be blasphemous to them. The reverse would also hold true; a Defiant soul would logically feel hostile to being used by the God's they had rejected. And I still can't quite wrap my head around the motivation for souls that were Defiant being willing to submit to even another Defiant; what's the motivation?

2. Why would all 'sentinel' souls be the same? offering the same skills etc? In life they would be different, why would they become identical in death?

3. How does it make sense that you have multiple ways to acquire souls? Nothing I've come up with myself makes much sense to me.

But there is cause for hope. Telaran heroes of old have begun to be reborn in the Shadowlands as Ascendants, and two powerful factions of heroes have emerged to defend Telara against Regulos and the threats from the planes.
    I admit that the developers are already starting to contradict themselves in the lore, but I think the above section of lore covers the souls.

Millennia ago, the Vigil forged the world from sourcestone and gave it to the races of Telara. They lived in harmony with each other until their world was invaded by the Blood Storm...
    The heroes of old (the Ascendants - us players) used to live in harmony and even fought together as allies on the battlefield. The factions didn't form until some of the heroes had already started being reborn. In that case, all the Ascendants would have access to the same knowledge (the same souls) but would have to make the personal choice of what faction to fight for.

edit: The only class, so far, I'm having trouble understanding is the Paladin - supposedly all players will be able to be a paladin (like all souls) but why would an Ascendant who was a Paladin in his previous life choose to help the Defiant? I can understand clerics since the devs have already stated that the Defiant worship spirits and demi-gods (which is where the lore gets contradicting - the Defiant think themselves equal to or greater than the Gods but worship demi-gods (half man half god)?).
    Last edited by Knives; 08-19-2010 at 06:57 AM.

I see it more as both sides have access to souls with certain skills, not to all souls.

In other words, the Defiant have access to certain souls with Ranger skills, and the Guardians have access to other souls with Ranger skills. Not the same souls, but the same skills.
    Dual Targeting - The Targeting System of the Modern MMO

If the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy was made by today's MMO designers, the first 8 hours would be condensed into 30 minutes, and the last hour would be stretched out over 8.5 hours. It would be all about 'The Ending' and not about 'The Journey'.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyde View Post
    I see it more as both sides have access to souls with certain skills, not to all souls.

In other words, the Defiant have access to certain souls with Ranger skills, and the Guardians have access to other souls with Ranger skills. Not the same souls, but the same skills.
    And this makes sense, but how then does a defiant eventually encounter a paladin soul and attune it to him/herself? This sounds like a really good twist in the story to me. I think we need to think outside the box.

Even though this paladin soul was loyal, honorable, valorous etc. during his lifetime, who is to say that he is still that way once he has died and is in the soulsteam?

Maybe that soul, in his/her previous life, had a love interest among the defiants and this is the only way they can ever feel close to their mate? (cliche but it works)

Maybe this soul was betrayed and slain by someone of Guardian faction and wants revenge (remember not all guardians are good) and therefore allows his soul to attune with the defiants for personal gratification (ie: he has been turned to the "dark side").

Maybe this soul has "failed the test" so to speak with the Vigil and was not ascended by them, the only way he can re-experience life is by letting a Defiant attune with his soul. Lots of possibilities really.
    Those who guard nature, guard life itself. Those who defile nature bring death and destruction upon us all.

Defiant are not evil though, one can be
    loyal, honorable, valorous etc.
    and not accept intellectual slavery under the gods who deserted the world. The question for me is in the definition of a Paladin - does a Paladin fight for an ideal? or a god? if the latter then it doesn't work with the defiant side, if the former then why not?

Defiants are trying to save the world from the bloodstorm and return it to peace protecting the weak in the process. They have similar aims to the Guardians they just have a different way of going about achieving those aims.

Edited to add:
    Im sure I remember on the guardian side-
    Chosen by the Gods - not for our valour or goodness but for our strength and skill, to protect Telara, to ascend, for a chance of absolution
    Not I direct quote I am certain as it is from memory but on the chance of absolution any soul could be a Guardian, a warlock walking the fine line between madness and power in life, a reaver who slaughtered indiscriminately, any soul now willing to subjugate itself to the Gods and offer it's strength in the fight against the bloodstorm could be called.

It isn't like the Gods are painted as perfect goodness anyway, simply a far better option than the bloodstorm.
    Last edited by Lilthug; 08-25-2010 at 04:04 AM.

+ Reply to Thread