+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 80
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Things I Didn't Know (About Rift Lore)

  1. #1
    Plane Walker Xerokine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    475

    Default Things I Didn't Know (About Rift Lore)

    Why? Because I'm on a crappy laptop that can't run Rift in a hotel room 600 miles from my apartment for a week. That's why.

    1. Aedraxis and Zareph are twins.
    2. Their mother is named 'Lenia' and died of an incurable illness. Their father, Jostir, died of mysterious circumstances named Aedraxis.
    3. Alsbeth fought for Zareph in the Civil War and was a reknowned hero of song along with Cyril, Carwin, Borrin, and Shyla.
    4. The Porticulums were created by the gods before the original Bloodstorm 1500 years ago.
    5. Alsbeth had the worst childhood ever.
    6. Carwin and Borrin have practically no lore on themselves. Seriously, it's irritating.
    7. And what about Kaspar? Kain has his own character page on the website, but Kaspar doesn't? I call foul.
    8. Yeah, that was it. I thought it was interesting. Shut up!
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

    *Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

  2. #2
    Sword of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xerokine View Post
    Why? Because I'm on a crappy laptop that can't run Rift in a hotel room 600 miles from my apartment for a week. That's why.

    1. Aedraxis and Zareph are twins.
    2. Their mother is named 'Lenia' and died of an incurable illness. Their father, Jostir, died of mysterious circumstances named Aedraxis.
    3. Alsbeth fought for Zareph in the Civil War and was a reknowned hero of song along with Cyril, Carwin, Borrin, and Shyla.
    4. The Porticulums were created by the gods before the original Bloodstorm 1500 years ago.
    5. Alsbeth had the worst childhood ever.
    6. Carwin and Borrin have practically no lore on themselves. Seriously, it's irritating.
    7. And what about Kaspar? Kain has his own character page on the website, but Kaspar doesn't? I call foul.
    8. Yeah, that was it. I thought it was interesting. Shut up!
    #2 made me laugh.
    #6 and #7 kind of weird me out though. I don't even know who Kaspar IS. I suppose that, yes, not everybody can have an epic engrossing tale from which they are born, but a short blurb saying he was a merchant's son and lived a rather uneventful life or something would help.

  3. #3
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Kaspar is the Defiant resource manager, and your main contact Defiant-side when you first enter Moonshade Highlands for the quests there. But he's not really as central a figure as Marshal Kain is for the Guardians, so I can see why he doesn't have his own lore page - yet. At some point I'd like to see everyone for each faction get a little page dedicated to them.

    And I knew Alsbeth's childhood was probably fairly somber, but was it the worst childhood ever? I thought it was just being shy and coming from a line of families that had fallen into disgrace since the days of Phynnious. Did I completely miss something?

  4. #4
    Plane Walker Xerokine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lumenadducere View Post
    Kaspar is the Defiant resource manager, and your main contact Defiant-side when you first enter Moonshade Highlands for the quests there. But he's not really as central a figure as Marshal Kain is for the Guardians, so I can see why he doesn't have his own lore page - yet. At some point I'd like to see everyone for each faction get a little page dedicated to them.
    But he's awesome! One of the best voices in the game, I'd say.

    "Fate? Destiny? Bah! Let's make some miracles with our own two hands!"


    Not to mention the fact that he has a robotic peg leg, yet is somehow able to fight Kain to a stand still. That's awesome enough for me. Though you are correct in that Kira and Uriel would prolly be first to get biographies in terms of Defiant-side quest givers.

    And I knew Alsbeth's childhood was probably fairly somber, but was it the worst childhood ever? I thought it was just being shy and coming from a line of families that had fallen into disgrace since the days of Phynnious. Did I completely miss something?
    When she was a child, her father murdered her mother in front of her for adultery. Then her father was executed for murder. Her uncle inherited everything, then disowned her and kicked her out into the streets. Queen Lenia took pity on her and brought her to Caer Mathos; then the Queen died. The King didn't kick her out, but was indifferent to her, so she was basically raised by servants who had no interest in her.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

    *Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

  5. #5
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xerokine View Post
    But he's awesome! One of the best voices in the game, I'd say.

    "Fate? Destiny? Bah! Let's make some miracles with our own two hands!"


    Not to mention the fact that he has a robotic peg leg, yet is somehow able to fight Kain to a stand still. That's awesome enough for me. Though you are correct in that Kira and Uriel would prolly be first to get biographies in terms of Defiant-side quest givers.



    When she was a child, her father murdered her mother in front of her for adultery. Then her father was executed for murder. Her uncle inherited everything, then disowned her and kicked her out into the streets. Queen Lenia took pity on her and brought her to Caer Mathos; then the Queen died. The King didn't kick her out, but was indifferent to her, so she was basically raised by servants who had no interest in her.
    Oh yeah. Huh, I have no idea how I managed to forget all that.

  6. #6
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Ever since seeing the movie, "Agora", I've been wondering if Cyril might have been inspired by Cyril of Alexandria. I haven't been playing long, so I don't really know much of Cyril in game.

  7. #7
    Ascendant Maeloda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    7,617

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xerokine View Post
    Why? Because I'm on a crappy laptop that can't run Rift in a hotel room 600 miles from my apartment for a week. That's why.

    1. Aedraxis and Zareph are twins.
    2. Their mother is named 'Lenia' and died of an incurable illness. Their father, Jostir, died of mysterious circumstances named Aedraxis.
    3. Alsbeth fought for Zareph in the Civil War and was a reknowned hero of song along with Cyril, Carwin, Borrin, and Shyla.
    4. The Porticulums were created by the gods before the original Bloodstorm 1500 years ago.
    5. Alsbeth had the worst childhood ever.
    6. Carwin and Borrin have practically no lore on themselves. Seriously, it's irritating.
    7. And what about Kaspar? Kain has his own character page on the website, but Kaspar doesn't? I call foul.
    8. Yeah, that was it. I thought it was interesting. Shut up!
    1. Wish this was made clearer in game. It would show just how close Mathosia was to having a 'good ruler', instead of Aedraxis.

    2. Lol. I'd like to see them in flashbacks. Hopefully Chronicles may explore this stuff, as well as insert of of it throughout the leveling experience for those who want to see it, rather than 'EVERYTHING AT 50!!', making it quite disjointed in the story.

    3. Yup knew this one. I'd like her to have a unique 'past' model, and more role in the Mathosia zone. I'd also want some hints of her corruption, or at least something that showed how Port Scion fell, and how she came about to doing this. Some depth, dammit. Even with her dead, you can still do thing with her plot-wise.

    4. Yeah and I think the Eth basically hack them? Reminds me that I'd love to know more Vigil stuff - like what their motivations are, etc.

    5. Yeah . Also another thing that shouldn't just be on a lore page on the website, but actually exhibited throughout the game itself...

    6. Carwin is one-note, but they insist (maybe for ease of lore writing? I dunno) to keep bringing him up. What about *me*? I'm the damn one who shattered Regulos :S. Carwin just took it and died, yet he becomes the greatest martyr, despite the fact that the player also disappears for 20 years as well...
    Borrin bores me. The writing for the dwarves is about the worst, they have no personality. Scotty is "I like doing things. I need to do this thing. Thank you for helping me with this thing." Borrin is "Ah! Something bad happened! It's all my fault but I won't show any remorse over it! Well, its in the past now. But go do this thing for me! Bye! My hammer! Shiny heavenly buff for no known reason!"

    7. I'd love a whole big epic questline for Kaspar, and in fact eventually all the characters. Flesh them out, give them sequences of quests for all level ranges (though understandably the majority at lv 50). Give them unique models and voices, and in-game scenes like I just saw at the end of Scarwood with Kain. Make us care, because even those who don't care about 'story', can be attached to certain characters.

    8. No you shut up

  8. #8
    Plane Walker Xerokine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    Borrin bores me. The writing for the dwarves is about the worst, they have no personality. Scotty is "I like doing things. I need to do this thing. Thank you for helping me with this thing." Borrin is "Ah! Something bad happened! It's all my fault but I won't show any remorse over it! Well, its in the past now. But go do this thing for me! Bye! My hammer! Shiny heavenly buff for no known reason!"
    See, that makes me sad for you guys, 'cause the Faceless Man is awesome. He has the best voice and the best lines. "Question my motives if you must, but not my orders." You can feel the threat.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

    *Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

  9. #9
    Ascendant Maeloda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    7,617

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xerokine View Post
    See, that makes me sad for you guys, 'cause the Faceless Man is awesome. He has the best voice and the best lines. "Question my motives if you must, but not my orders." You can feel the threat.
    I love that line. Guardians need more of that. Even hearing it a billion times, I feel like I want to do more stuff with the Faceless Man, we can be buds kickin a.

    But Borrin? Shyla-get-some-clothes-on-and-weirdly-modelled-face? Cyril Sir Stands and Does Nothing?

  10. #10
    Shield of Telara Adebar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    I love that line. Guardians need more of that. Even hearing it a billion times, I feel like I want to do more stuff with the Faceless Man, we can be buds kickin a.

    But Borrin? Shyla-get-some-clothes-on-and-weirdly-modelled-face? Cyril Sir Stands and Does Nothing?
    You forgot to mention: Cyril lets a squirrel sit on his throne.

    Pushover.
    127% of internet statistics are made up on the spot.

    Never trust obscure quotes from famous people on the internet. -George Washington

  11. #11
    Plane Walker Xerokine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    I'd like [Alsbeth] to have a unique 'past' model, and more role in the Mathosia zone.
    Wait, more? Was Alsbeth in the Mathosia zone, the Guardian intro? I mean, lore-wise, she should be there, since she became Ascended at the same time, but I don't remember seeing her...
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

    *Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

  12. #12
    Ascendant Maeloda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    7,617

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xerokine View Post
    Wait, more? Was Alsbeth in the Mathosia zone, the Guardian intro? I mean, lore-wise, she should be there, since she became Ascended at the same time, but I don't remember seeing her...
    She's there at Cyril's camp, just standing around, named "Alsbeth" (I think it may have been added during beta phases), and with one of the normal female NPC models (the one that looks like a nobility/mage). I'd prefer her to have at least some lines here, a unique model, and to be used in future content (though not in a major way, but just as another character in flashback/time-travel events).

  13. #13
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Yeah, it's really easy to miss her, but she's standing by one of the exits from Cyril's camp. Apparently if you look you can find Asha's body somewhere in the Guardian intro too, but I haven't done a thorough enough inspection - and likely won't anytime soon, seeing as how my sub has expired. :-/

  14. #14
    Ascendant Maeloda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    7,617

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lumenadducere View Post
    Yeah, it's really easy to miss her, but she's standing by one of the exits from Cyril's camp. Apparently if you look you can find Asha's body somewhere in the Guardian intro too, but I haven't done a thorough enough inspection - and likely won't anytime soon, seeing as how my sub has expired. :-/
    Yeah and as far as I know, it still has her markings (which don't fit the timeline), just to save on resources lol.

  15. #15
    Ascendant Sinndel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,537

    Default

    Things I didn't know about rift lore. There are an unlimited number of different types of "sourcestones" that can power magitech. When the writters realize they goofed and made the guardias unbelievable hypocrites, suddenly there's shadestone, and stormstone to make everything all better.
    I have a photoshopic memory. I remember everything you say or do exactly the way I want to.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts