+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Death of Gods?

Default Death of Gods?

So, I'm reading the 1.4 patchnotes - are Greenscale and Akylios *actually* dead? I assumed it was like with Regulos - we just kicked them out of Telara and they'd be fuming about it outside the Ward. But the patch preview seems to imply that they are actually and ultimately dead; that the Ascended assumed the cults would collapse, that their power has been scattered, that the cults are in despair over their "god's demise".
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

*Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

Quote Originally Posted by riftgame.com homepage
    With two dragons defeated, the cults of House Aelfwar and the Abyssal have only become more dangerous, rushing to collect Dragon Motes and return their masters to life.
    Sounds like they have just been temporarily defeated, and these "Dragon Motes" will restore their physical manifestations.
    I have a photoshopic memory. I remember everything you say or do exactly the way I want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    Sounds like they have just been temporarily defeated, and these "Dragon Motes" will restore their physical manifestations.
    Ahh, touche. But are they 'dead' until they're revived by their cults, or is this similar to how Alsbeth was trying to collect the pieces of Aedraxis?
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

Quote Originally Posted by Xerokine View Post
    Ahh, touche. But are they 'dead' until they're revived by their cults, or is this similar to how Alsbeth was trying to collect the pieces of Aedraxis?
    It depends how you would apply the term "dead" in a universe where death is but another plane of existance, wich is often cheated by things like ascension, ressurection, and immortality. I doubt being dead would stop the dragons. I think a better term is "destroyed" to avoid confusion.

It also doesn't sound like they've been trapped outside the ward with Regulos, just from the way I've interpreted it, because it makes it sound like ressurecting them with the Motes will be done inside the ward.
    Last edited by Sinndel; 08-01-2011 at 02:32 PM.
    I have a photoshopic memory. I remember everything you say or do exactly the way I want to.

It's debatable whether it means they're dead, or whether their dragon form is simply destroyed and the god within lives on.

It's possible is a Sauronesque situation, with the spirit living on but unable to possess a new avatar without the ring. Substitute "ring" for these "dragon motes".

I don't know. But I have fun theorizing.
    Officer of Legacy, Keenblade.

Prestige Rank 8 -- 4/10 HK -- Rogue

Plane Touched

I thought the whole idea of the dragons was that that wasn't their true form, just their avatars. Their true selves lay beyond in each of the elemental planes that they chose to affiliate with. So if they're not trapped outside the Ward now then yes, I'd assume a Sauron-like scenario where they're still around but unable to get a new avatar without the cultists scurrying about.

I'm pretty sure Greenscale is "perma-dead", the 2nd half of the Life Saga (Guardians) was to ensure he got perma killed. Maybe I got it all wrong, maybe I'm right. I don't know.
    Rathi@Gelidra <Invictus>
    IRotP: Conqueror | NM TD: 4/4

Quote Originally Posted by Lumenadducere View Post
    I thought the whole idea of the dragons was that that wasn't their true form, just their avatars. Their true selves lay beyond in each of the elemental planes that they chose to affiliate with. So if they're not trapped outside the Ward now then yes, I'd assume a Sauron-like scenario where they're still around but unable to get a new avatar without the cultists scurrying about.
    They aren't so much Avatar's as they are manifestations. And from what I know, manifesting as dragons is kind of a trade off. In order to affect the physical world, they must manifest. However when they do that, they make themselves mortal and are vulnerable. The gods themselves do not reside on the planes, so much as they are "attuned" to them I guess. But they are trapped in prisons in the physical Telara.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizz View Post
    I'm pretty sure Greenscale is "perma-dead", the 2nd half of the Life Saga (Guardians) was to ensure he got perma killed. Maybe I got it all wrong, maybe I'm right. I don't know.
    Dang Guardians and your Life Saga. Defiants get an Endless Saga instead which is based around getting Kira and Uriel to admit their feelings for one another. It's gonna happen, damnit!

So what's the 2nd half of the Life Saga say? What do you do to ensure he'll be perma-killed?

My thoughts on this is that yes, the ascended are killing the dragons off, and that's what regulos wants. As he controls death, with them dead, it means he controls them and the bloodstorm again (corrupted greenscale raid anyone? )

The physical avatars of Akky and Greenscale are slain in 1.4 lore. The dragons were only ever "defeat-able" because they never entered the world in their true visage. So one can say that the dragons are still alive in the sense that their presence beyond the Ward is (currently) absolute.

However, in Telara, dragons can bleed and die.
    Last edited by titansgrip; 08-02-2011 at 12:06 PM.

Dragon form is just their Avatar. We really have no idea what they look like beyond the Ward.

Nevermind it was already mentioned here:

Last edited by Tachi; 08-02-2011 at 12:26 PM.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by NzFox View Post
    My thoughts on this is that yes, the ascended are killing the dragons off, and that's what regulos wants. As he controls death, with them dead, it means he controls them and the bloodstorm again (corrupted greenscale raid anyone? )
    There's going to be a boss rush in Regulos' dungeon isn't there.

Do we get E-tanks or...

It's obvious what's going to happen.

The Ward will shatter, revealing that while we've been killing off the dragons one by one, Regulos has been consuming their defeated essence. He is now more powerful than all the other dragons combined and neither the technology of the Defiants nor the faithful armies of the Guardians can stop him. His devastating Death magick is powerful enough to reshape the world itself.

When all hope seems lost, Orphiel reveals what he's been up to all this time; rebuilding an ancient Ethian airship, armed with magitech cannons powerful enough to injure Regulos, even in his new form. The massive dragon of extinction collapses to the ground near Meridian.

But Regulos has power over life and death, and is not so easily defeated. He rises again, perches atop Orphiel's Spire in mockery of the Defiant's technology. But the Defiant are not alone. Putting aside their differences this once, the Guardians ride atop the Ethian Airship and challenge Regulos to his face. With the power of the Vigil, they pierce through the dragon's hide and open a rift to the very heart of the Plane of Death, the one place where Regulos can truly be destroyed.

After a long and exhaustive series of boss fights (including confronting Aedraxis, who had spent 20 years regretting his actions, unable to free himself from Regulos' corruption), Regulos is finally defeated, his spirit purified, along with that of the other dragons. It's also revealed Cyril had been dead the entire time, and Zareph was just a dream. He says goodbye to Asha, then vanishes, but returns in the next expansion where Asha wears even less clothes. Spoiler.
    Last edited by Xerokine; 08-02-2011 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xerokine View Post
    It's obvious what's going to happen.

The Ward will shatter, revealing that while we've been killing off the dragons one by one, Regulos has been consuming their defeated essence. He is now more powerful than all the other dragons combined .
    this... can be true.
    Even if the true self of the dragons is beyond the Ward, their avatar HAS power, and when the avatar dies... what if Regulos, master of Death, claims this power for himself?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast