+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: comics, novels, etc.

Shadowlander

Default comics, novels, etc.

I've really been enjoying roaming telara, doing epic quests and searching for chunks of lore to further piece together the happenings in the world. I really enjoy reading the entries on the website as well as the comics that preceeded the game after a long day of rifting.

I've read some novels and comics for previous games that I've played, and even when the fiction it's self is less than stunning, it's still cool to pass by a place on the map or npc in a quest hub having just read a few hundred pages describing their past.

I would love to see a weekly digital comic (4 or 5 issues) that leads up to a new world event in game. I would also like to see a Masters of the Universe style saturday morning cartoon where the defiants bring up a new hare-brained plot to get one over on those pesky guardians every week

What kinds of fiction would you like to see? how should it relate to the game?

Sez

I was all for your thread until...

Quote Originally Posted by xphobosx View Post
    I would also like to see a Masters of the Universe style saturday morning cartoon where the defiants bring up a new hare-brained plot to get one over on those pesky guardians every week
    ... then I /facepalm'd
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

3.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #3
    Ghost Writer in the Sky Foxcalibur's Avatar

Thumbs up

BY THE POWER OF HAMMERKNELL!!!!!!!!!

I HAVE THE... ummm...

line?

When I first got into the betas, I was intrigued by the lore and did TONS of research. At the time there wasn't a whole lot out there and a lot of what was available contradicted itself and/or was inconsistant so I gave up. As I started playing through after launch I tried to care, I tried to get lost in this world and it's conflicts, but nothing pulled me in. I read the first quests (from the beginning to about half way through Scarwood) but found them to be terribly uninteresting so I only read a few random ones every now and then to see if they improved - they never did. Overall, I feel disconnected and uncaring toward Telara, it's people (who are strangely absent) and what happens in it. I still read through the little lore snippets and character bios that Trion posts but would love to see a novel of the overlying story.

A cartoon portraying one of the factions as idiots is not only a stupid idea, but could also alienate a good portion of the people playing that faction. And honestly, have you seen any of today's cartoons?! They're horrid. Dumb idea is dumb.

It might also help if Trion made Telara feel more alive. There are no real cities or towns or villages. Just the tent or two to house the 4-5 quest givers, trainers and healers at quest hubs. Even Meridian is devoid of people aside from vendors, trainers and quest givers. Surely the entire populace hasn't been brought back as Ascended?
    Nymaeria < Hate > : Level 50 Eth Cleric (Sentinel/Warden/Justicar) on Briarcliff
    Rhendali < Hate > : Level 50 Eth Rogue (Riftstalker/Bladedancer/Ranger) on Briarcliff

Quote Originally Posted by Rhendali View Post
    Surely the entire populace hasn't been brought back as Ascended?
    Well, after the largest nation (Eth) was completely wiped out 500 years ago, the next three largest nations (Mathosia, dwarves, and elves) totally destroyed 20 years ago, followed by 20 years of unspeakable monsters pouring out of cracks in reality and slaughtering everyone in sight, followed by the largest remaining city (Port Scion) being consumed by Death, I'm frankly amazed anyone is still alive.

As far as lore goes, I'd suggest reading everything on the main website. Each class 'soul' has it's own mini-story, most of which are quite good and provide peeks into Telara's past and culture. In addition, the various stories about major characters, locations, and the Planes are all quite good. It's what made me fall in love with Akylios; "He was mad even before he learned all fears and secrets. There are no words for what Akylios is now." I dunno who wrote that, but I love it.

And as far as novels go, it's tricky. They have to make sure there's a large enough audience for such a thing to make money on it. They have to lure in a good enough author to make it worthwhile - get a bad author, and it's worse than not doing anything at all. And a good book takes time - by the time the book is written, will it still be relevant?

Not to mention the question of what to put in such a novel. It can't be anything current in the game; both because of how long it can take to write and because 'requiring' people to buy a book to understand game events can turn people off. So the best option might be history; perhaps what happened during the Mathosian Civil War before the Shade, or the 20 years after. But then you have to be very careful that everything in the novel fits into the existing lore, and doesn't contradict anything you've already said - and that you don't contradict anything in the future, because the sort of fan who will read the novel will tear you apart for it.

All in all, it can be very... complicated.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

*Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

Thanks for telling me absolutely nothing I didn't already know... As I said, I've read everything that is currently available, but still just don't care. A novel may help that.
    Nymaeria < Hate > : Level 50 Eth Cleric (Sentinel/Warden/Justicar) on Briarcliff
    Rhendali < Hate > : Level 50 Eth Rogue (Riftstalker/Bladedancer/Ranger) on Briarcliff

Quote Originally Posted by Foxcalibur View Post
    BY THE POWER OF HAMMERKNELL!!!!!!!!!

I HAVE THE... ummm...

line?

... +20 water resist?

Soulwalker

Default what lore?

Ive read them. All seems like random non sense. Guardians good Defiants bad oh wait no we cant have good verse evil too complex...so how about Defiants good Guardians bad? Hmm that doesnt work either even more complex. Never mind we will just run with it. Im a fan of good science fiction and fantisy. Its not in Rift. If youre happy with the lore more power too you, but quite frankly my 8 year old comes up with better stories. The dev team does have some good concepts but they fail hard when they try to put them in action. the River of Souls event chain and the current mess are just plain bad. The epic quest line is worse. They may want to do what NC soft did and hire an actual author to write thier story. Check out Guild Wars 2. The game play may not be for everyone because of the real time combat system, however its still worth a look. In short play what you like dont listen to the posts here. If i thought Rift was worth actually sticking with i wouldnt have posted anything. Go ahead and QQ and rage about this all you like i dont care. Im moving on because i ran out of content 2 months ago and what is in the works doesnt really seem that appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mavrus View Post
    Guardians good Defiants bad oh wait no we cant have good verse evil too complex...
    Yes. This is it exactly. Because 'good' versus 'evil' is a complex and multilayered plot, as opposite to having both factions with shades of gray. If only Rift was more like, say, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. Orphiel could have a skull face, Asha could dress in all black, they could cackle together, it would be great.

Of course, that was just too complex. I mean, we're talking 'Captain Planet' levels of complicated story, here. It would have made 'Game of Thrones' look like a children's book.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

*Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

The comics were AWESOME! Read all four of them (plus #0) and they were great. I just re-read them few days ago. I really would like to see more comics. Even a book. The lore is interesting but we need more to get immersed.

Telara Chronicles were great, especially the issue when Asha Catari is fighting the Life Rift. Reading the comic and playing that same quest is a kickass experience!

More comics!

11.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #11

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Tachi View Post
    ... +20 water resist?
    And this muy sexy Murdantix mount. I like to pretend he's actually a cowardly sissy until I shoot him with sword lazerz.

Sez

Psst, Fox, write a story where I get a Murdantix mount >.>

I'll score you some epic cheeseburgers <.<
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Quote Originally Posted by Foxcalibur View Post
    And this muy sexy Murdantix mount. I like to pretend he's actually a cowardly sissy until I shoot him with sword lazerz.

I expect to see these action figures coming to the next game convention!!

14.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #14

One of the characters I pitched for eventual fiction would totally ride a Murdantix whelp. Those are up there with the greatest mounts in any MMO ever, IM-not-so-HO.

Quote Originally Posted by xphobosx View Post

What kinds of fiction would you like to see? how should it relate to the game?
    I would like to see more pieces about Telara's history, especially from the time of the Bloodstorm.

A longer story focused around Crucia's reign would be my first choice. Iron Pine Peak is my favorite zone as far as lore goes, and setting the story in the time before her city became a frozen lake would be interesting. Perhaps a plot where a small group of heroes tries to infiltrate her famous spy network, or something of that nature.

I will also continually scream for more story about The Faceless Man. He is just simply awesome.
    Eshlon@Greybriar

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast