+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Racial Languages?

Default Racial Languages?

So, normally in these kinds of games, the humans speak English (or the native language of your localization), the elves speak Elvish (usually based more or less on Tolkein's), and the dwarves speak in a Scottish accent.

Now, in Rift, I haven't seen any sign of individual racial languages, except in the form of names. The naming policy has been stated by Trion to be as follows;

Kelari - Greek
    Eth- Egyptian
    Bahmi - Mongolian
    Mathosian - European
    High Elves - Irish/Native American
    Dwarves - Russian

So, here's the thing. If the Ethians, for example, are naming their kids using the Egyptian language (which is Arabic, by the way), wouldn't that be the language of the Eth? So, in other words, would we see writings from the Eth Empire saying; "خطير داخل التكنولوجيا، لا تدخل"? Or a Kelari sign saying; "Pnév̱mata Flóga , misí̱ timí̱"? Or maybe a dwarven store that declares "Vy dolzhny eto korotkoe vvesti"?*

(*All translations done by Google. Shh.)

It would certainly be an interesting departure from the traditional fantasy languages you tend to see in modern RPGs.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

*Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Xerokine View Post
    Egyptian language (which is Arabic, by the way).
    I think they might have ment this, rather than the current dominant language in Egypt.

Also, what does that mean "Irish/Native American"? Native American languages (there hundreds, many of them as different from each other as Chinese is to English) can very quite a bit in sound and I can't recall any of them looking or sounding similar to Irish...
    Last edited by Iamaom; 07-23-2011 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamaom View Post
    I think they might have ment this, rather than the current dominant language in Egypt.
    Ah. Good point.

Also, what does that mean "Irish/Native American"? Native American languages (there hundreds, many of them as different from each other as Chinese is to English) can very quite a bit in sound and I can't recall any of them looking or sounding similar to Irish...
    I expect they meant 'we use both Irish and Native American names in general for high elves', which would mean they would take names from any or all of the various NA languages. For a high elf language, I'd probably wanna go with the Irish language, simply because of how there are hundreds of different NA ones.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

Those are naming conventions for the NPCs that the lore devs decided on, not necessarily the language they would speak.

Telara is a small continent on a small planet, I can't see languages or even cultures being at all different between the races, with the exception of the Bahmi who are not native to Telara.
    I have a photoshopic memory. I remember everything you say or do exactly the way I want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    Telara is a small continent on a small planet, I can't see languages or even cultures being at all different between the races, with the exception of the Bahmi who are not native to Telara.
    That's not necessarily the case; consider that Europe is a fairly small continent, but has dozens of varying languages. And considering that before the Age of Dragons, each race is noted as being very insular, it would seem odd to me that the dwarves, elves, and humans would all share a common language, even though they barely interacted.

That's not necessarily the case; consider that Europe is a fairly small continent, but has dozens of varying languages. And considering that before the Age of Dragons, each race is noted as being very insular, it would seem odd to me that the dwarves, elves, and humans would all share a common language, even though they barely interacted.
    Insular though they may have been, you have to keep in mind that the "gods" of the vigil are not hypothetical, and all races share a common "creator", who would have likely given them their language at creation. It would seem odd to me that a benevolent group of gods would deliberately segregate their creations by giving them different languages.
    I have a photoshopic memory. I remember everything you say or do exactly the way I want to.

Insular though they may have been, you have to keep in mind that the "gods" of the vigil are not hypothetical, and all races share a common "creator", who would have likely given them their language at creation. It would seem odd to me that a benevolent group of gods would deliberately segregate their creations by giving them different languages.
    Well, we already know that before the formation of the Vigil, the followers of each god tended to war with the followers of the other gods.

"The gods of the Vigil were once separate deities with their own churches and clerics. These churches would sometimes come into conflict as the different commandments of the gods were interpreted by their followers as setting them into conflict; Bahralt's commandment to build cities versus Tavril's commandments to preserve the wild lands of Telara."

"The coming together of the Vigil was a matter of unification. The humans were not involved in this specific conflict [between the elves and dwarves] that you’re asking about but the humans certainly had their own share of conflicts with the other races as they began to expand and claim territory that elves and dwarves considered their own.
    The conflict [between the elves and dwarves] spanned centuries, millennia even, before the first Age of Dragons, when the world was young and the lines of the many kingdoms and empires of the world were still being drawn. It wasn’t constant but would die and then arise again when territory lines were disputed."

Well, we already know that before the formation of the Vigil, the followers of each god tended to war with the followers of the other gods.

"The gods of the Vigil were once separate deities with their own churches and clerics. These churches would sometimes come into conflict as the different commandments of the gods were interpreted by their followers as setting them into conflict; Bahralt's commandment to build cities versus Tavril's commandments to preserve the wild lands of Telara."

"The coming together of the Vigil was a matter of unification. The humans were not involved in this specific conflict [between the elves and dwarves] that you’re asking about but the humans certainly had their own share of conflicts with the other races as they began to expand and claim territory that elves and dwarves considered their own.
    The conflict [between the elves and dwarves] spanned centuries, millennia even, before the first Age of Dragons, when the world was young and the lines of the many kingdoms and empires of the world were still being drawn. It wasn’t constant but would die and then arise again when territory lines were disputed."
    I honestly can't wait until we see more of the real homelands of the races of Telara. We have the Mathosians covered, and maybe the Dwarves, but the rest of the map seems to be these former 'territory lines' you mentioned. Freemarch passed hands several times. Silverwood is not the *homeland of the elves, but simply where they had to finally settle. We see the borderlands and some of the homeland of the Eth, but not really their mighty city-states.

We still need:
    -possibly the origin lands of the humans (we have Mathosian and Eth, but what if there was more?)
    -possibly more dwarven lands
    -Heart Grove (the supposed homeland of the elves, taken over in Blood Storm War)
    -Kelari Isles (recently corrupted)
    -Eth Empire (not the edges of it, but the mighty, likely now sundered, cities)
    -Bahmi's Rhaza'de Canyons, which became too difficult to keep protecting

Part of why I want Rift to succeed is so I can see these places lol!

Prophet of Telara

The Droughtlands/Shimmersand IS the Eth heartland I'm pretty sure. The entire civilization was buried beneath the sands.

Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    I honestly can't wait until we see more of the real homelands of the races of Telara. We have the Mathosians covered, and maybe the Dwarves, but the rest of the map seems to be these former 'territory lines' you mentioned. Freemarch passed hands several times. Silverwood is not the *homeland of the elves, but simply where they had to finally settle. We see the borderlands and some of the homeland of the Eth, but not really their mighty city-states.

We still need:
    -possibly the origin lands of the humans (we have Mathosian and Eth, but what if there was more?)
    -possibly more dwarven lands
    -Heart Grove (the supposed homeland of the elves, taken over in Blood Storm War)
    -Kelari Isles (recently corrupted)
    -Eth Empire (not the edges of it, but the mighty, likely now sundered, cities)
    -Bahmi's Rhaza'de Canyons, which became too difficult to keep protecting

Part of why I want Rift to succeed is so I can see these places lol!
    That concept actually has interesting possibilities. After defeating the manifestations of the bloodstorm on our current little peninsula within the Raids, there's very little left as far as story goes. Maybe the next move would be reclaiming the ancestral lands of our various races from the hands of the now leaderless planar invaders.

Dwarves - Russian
    While they do bear some similiarity to russian names, the differences is quite huge. As a russian, I think of polish/czech names when I see dwarf names. But the main point is still valid, their names bear a huge slavic resemblance.

The Droughtlands/Shimmersand IS the Eth heartland I'm pretty sure. The entire civilization was buried beneath the sands.
    Not exactly. Both Droughtlands and Shimmersand were the territory of ONE city-state: Khality. Their descendants inhabit Fortune Shore atm. And the ethian empire had 13 of those.
    Last edited by Halman; 07-24-2011 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFunsocks View Post
    In the original doc of the game, I believe there was another version of the world map with *another* zone either west or south west of Shimmersand. I forget the name. Shimmersand and Droughtlands seem to be still clearly Eth land, but more the perimeter. Freemarch and Stonefield as the outskirts.

The Eth land was several cities and was even more expansive than Mathosia (though Mathosia was more of a single Empire where Eth was several city-states). I think that expands over more than just Shimmersand and Droughtlands, and gives an opportunity for more high level zones with far more untouched Eth technology.

(on that note, there was also going to be a Cliffside Vale zone east of Droughtlands and Freemarch, but it was scrapped. It was likely imo going to be the old homeland of the elves, but now may be introduced as 'Planetouched Wilds' at some point. No idea if elves will be involved)

That concept actually has interesting possibilities. After defeating the manifestations of the bloodstorm on our current little peninsula within the Raids, there's very little left as far as story goes. Maybe the next move would be reclaiming the ancestral lands of our various races from the hands of the now leaderless planar invaders.
    I think Trion has several different methods of expansion: time travel/slivers/Lantern Hook type areas, homelands, travel to the Planes, other continents, unknown Planes that don't intersect with Telara, but have the possibility of being accessed.

Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    I think Trion has several different methods of expansion: time travel/slivers/Lantern Hook type areas, homelands, travel to the Planes, other continents, unknown Planes that don't intersect with Telara, but have the possibility of being accessed.
    I just want to throw it out there right now, that Time travel/slivers/alternate possible realities are terrible plot devices and I really hope our lore writters are more creative than to use those cop outs aside from the original defiant intro.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast