+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lore bits on Thontic

Default Lore bits on Thontic

At MMORPG.com: Thontic: The God of the Sea

If this was posted elsewhere I apologize.

RIFT Community Ambassador Talila's Avatar

Really nice read, thank you for linking it!
    I went off to FFXIV. Here's my blog.

Plane Touched

Good read. My Guardian on Faeblight is a devout of Thontic, despite being a dwarf. It's nice to have a bit more lore on him.

So there are two sea gods then? o.O Thontic is the "good" sea god that guides sailors and provides safe passage and blessings of wisdom, while Akylios is the "evil" sea god that portrays the insanities and dark depths of the sea? Interesting, I must say.

I think Thontic has his bad spots, just not as bad as Akylios.

Here's the entire read for those interested:

God of the Sea

On a ship at sea, a sailor plots his course, a merchant dreams of distant shores, and a scholar charts the stars. Each in their way prays to Thontic, God of the Sea, of trade, and of mystery. When the gods formed Telara from sourcestone at the dawn of days, it was Thontic who shaped the clouds, filled deep places with water, and sparked the thirst for knowledge in mortal minds.
    advertisement

The faceless Abyssal say that Thontic merely imitates Akyliosís genius, but this is a filthy lie. Akylios represents the profane darkness of the crushing deeps, where sanity flees even the design of nature and hideous secrets wait, hidden from the light. Thontic is the deity who guides travelers to safe harbor, who hides teeming life and fantastic revelations beneath the briny tide. While the Abyssal are misers of knowledge, hoarding secrets until their minds burst, Thonticís priests are patrons of wisdom, answering lifeís great questions and revealing their discoveries for the benefit of all.

In mysterious ways

Of all gods of the Vigil, Thontic is the most inscrutable. They say he moves across the land wearing the night as a cloak, his voice just barely softer than the lapping of the waves and the clinking of coins. His ways are not always kindóat his whim one merchant opens new cities for trade, while another is swallowed by the tide. Yet exploration is hollow without risk, and Clerics say those who die at sea have a place at Thonticís side.

The Guardians pray to Thontic when they embark on long journeys, solve crimes, or study the ways of magic and nature. And in Sanctum, most commerce takes place in Thontic Square, where every exchange pleases the god of the seas.

The Vigilís cunning

Thontic provides the Vigil with his wisdom, his craft, and a necessary ruthlessness that righteous Thedeor or gentle Mariel-Taun simply could not imagine. Like the trader who must outbid his competitors or the storm that rises without warning, Thontic knows that some events are unavoidable and had best be wisely managed. It is thanks to him that Rogues prowl the night to strike at hidden evils and Cabalists bring their forbidden rites to bear upon the Guardiansí enemies.

Without Thontic, the Guardians would truly be the guileless crusaders of Defiant propaganda. Guided by his canny insight, they are a subtler and more adaptable force than their enemies imagine. Like their god, their methods are a tightly-woven secret for the clever to unravel.

This line: "Without Thontic, the Guardians would truly be the guileless crusaders of Defiant propaganda." is interesting. Is the author trying to say that the Defiant tried to control the Guardians by misleading them at one point, or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Tachi View Post

This line: "Without Thontic, the Guardians would truly be the guileless crusaders of Defiant propaganda." is interesting. Is the author trying to say that the Defiant tried to control the Guardians by misleading them at one point, or what?
    No, I think the guardians would hunt all propaganda by defiants. Granted, my english doesn't understand that sentence too well.

RIFT Community Ambassador Talila's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tachi View Post

I think that the author means that without Thontic, the guardians would simply just hunt down the defiant propaganda without considering why and without considering the consequences, in a perhaps naive belief that the war could be won by eradicating the propaganda. The fact that the author says "truly" could suggest that to some extend, some Guardians are doing it already.

At least that's what I see in it.
    Last edited by Talila; 07-20-2011 at 04:36 PM.
    I went off to FFXIV. Here's my blog.

JDX
    Telaran

The line is simpler than you all are making it.

It just means that the Guardians really would be everything the Defiants say they are [blinded by faith, overly zealous, dumber than a box of rocks], without the guidance of Thontic, who is more crafty and intelligent than the other gods of the Vigil.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by JDX View Post
    The line is simpler than you all are making it.

It just means that the Guardians really would be everything the Defiants say they are [blinded by faith, overly zealous, dumber than a box of rocks], without the guidance of Thontic, who is more crafty and intelligent than the other gods of the Vigil.
    Yeah, that's how I read it. Thontic is the one that prevents the Guardians from actually being as inept, clueless, and foolishly zealous as the Defiants say they are.

Basically, Thontic is awesome and the best thing to the Vigil and the Guardians since sliced bread.

Ugh I just want more concrete info on the Vigil in-game. Then I'd actually consider playing Guardian as a main.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Meriak View Post
    So there are two sea gods then? o.O Thontic is the "good" sea god that guides sailors and provides safe passage and blessings of wisdom, while Akylios is the "evil" sea god that portrays the insanities and dark depths of the sea?

This, along with the section of the article discussing both Thontic and Akylios, confuses me a bit. From the article, you get confirmation that Thontic was one of the original gods who formed Telara (they did not bind to become "the Vigil" until the Shade). However, it doesn't seem that Akylios could be his evil counterpart, as none of the Blood Storm gods had interacted with Telara until their consuming of planets in the universe led them there. So there would be a time from Telara's creation until the Dragon Age where Akylios was never in the picture. This would also mean that the Abyssal's claim that Thontic is imitating their leader is false, unless of course they are referring to his behavior after the Blood Storm's arrival.

I might have mistunderstood and perhaps the comparisons of the two are referring after the Blood Storm's arrival. Just wanted to get this clarified.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Sayville View Post
    This, along with the section of the article discussing both Thontic and Akylios, confuses me a bit. From the article, you get confirmation that Thontic was one of the original gods who formed Telara (they did not bind to become "the Vigil" until the Shade). However, it doesn't seem that Akylios could be his evil counterpart, as none of the Blood Storm gods had interacted with Telara until their consuming of planets in the universe led them there. So there would be a time from Telara's creation until the Dragon Age where Akylios was never in the picture. This would also mean that the Abyssal's claim that Thontic is imitating their leader is false, unless of course they are referring to his behavior after the Blood Storm's arrival.

I might have mistunderstood and perhaps the comparisons of the two are referring after the Blood Storm's arrival. Just wanted to get this clarified.
    The Blood Storm don't have anything to do with Telara's creation or its maintenance other than the fact that they want to conquer it for themselves. So Akylios isn't really a "sea god" or god of the sea as it pertains to Telara. He's affiliated with the Plane of Water and represents everything bad about the ocean, but he's no more Thontic's counterpart than Crucia or Regulos are counterparts of Bahralt or Tavril. They both just happen to have a thematic similarity. The Blood Storm are foreign invaders and as far as we know have no relation to the Vigil other than the series of conflicts which have arisen since their arrival.

So there are two sea gods then? o.O Thontic is the "good" sea god that guides sailors and provides safe passage and blessings of wisdom, while Akylios is the "evil" sea god that portrays the insanities and dark depths of the sea? Interesting, I must say.
    A wild guess here, but looks like all the five gods of Vigil were originally designed to pair with the gods of blood storm. Like two sides of a coin, in their respective domains.

Thontic - Akylos (sea, mystery, exploration)
    Mariel-Taun - Crucia (community, emotion, compassion)
    Thedeor - Maelforge (war, destruction, higher cause)
    Tavril - Greenscale (nature, wilderness, growth)
    Bahralt - Laethys (craft, creation and its purpose)

In these respective pairs the gods command the positive aspects while the dragons channel and propagate the destructive ones, but in the core of their being they are the same. And Regulos would stand above them all as the lord of entropy, which is the opposite to any other form of activity, creative or destructive. Every dragon god (as well as the Vigil) seeks to shape Telara in his own image of 'perfect world', while Regulos seeks to annihilate it entirely. This would put more emphasys on him as being THE archenemy both of the telarans and other elemental cultists.
    Last edited by Halman; 07-24-2011 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Halman View Post
    A wild guess here, but looks like all the five gods of Vigil were originally designed to pair with the gods of blood storm. Like two sides of a coin, in their respective domains.

Thontic - Akylos (sea, mystery, exploration)
    Mariel-Taun - Crucia (community, emotion, compassion)
    Thedeor - Maelforge (war, destruction, higher cause)
    Tavril - Greenscale (nature, wilderness, growth)
    Bahralt - Laethys (craft, creation and its purpose)

In these respective pairs the gods command the positive aspects while the dragons channel and propagate the destructive ones, but in the core of their being they are the same. And Regulos would stand above them all as the lord of entropy, which is the opposite to any other form of activity, creative or destructive. Every dragon god (as well as the Vigil) seeks to shape Telara in his own image of 'perfect world', while Regulos seeks to annihilate it entirely. This would put more emphasys on him as being THE archenemy both of the telarans and other elemental cultists.
    That said, I have my own personal theory that while the gods have factional and racial affiliation (see Thedeor for Mathosian, Tavril for elves, Bahralt for dwarves - and the Guardians overall for all of the Vigil), the Defiants may actually have a role to play in this after all.

We may see in the storyline that the Guardians have more of a role in relation to the 5 elemental dragons, but the Defiants are the ones that exist to prevent Regulos from taking over and destroying the Guardians, resulting in Terminus.

We can likely agree that Regulos represents not just death, but dying/entropy. It is the decay and growing worthlessness of existence. While the Plane of Life is the literal opposite of that (overgrowth), and the Guardians are the strong resistance to that (they represent harmony), I feel that the Defiants are the actual antithesis of what Regulos is.

I'd put the Defiants+Asha+Orphiel+etc as a whole, equal to one of the Vigil in their place in the world. They are our salvation (ironically), while Guardians are our protection. If the Guardians and the Vigil were not in play at the point of time in the game world, then the dragons would all be loose again and we'd already be losing. If the Defiant and Orphiel were not in play, then we would be doomed to a horrible fate *in only a short time*. Regulos needs not just opposition (all players represent that), but a foil to his grandiose actions, and the Defiants can do that.

Sorry for that rant, but I just wanted to express how the Defiants are in relation to the Vigil and the place in the storyline. I feel it is just as valid to use sourcestone tech, as it is to at least co-operate with the Vigil, even if there are clear points of opposition between the factions regarding both of those factors..

Well, the Vigil was a group of gods who got together and created Telara, while the Bloodstorm was a group of gods who wandered the planes devouring or conquering worlds as it pleased them.

We know the Vigil is not necessarily always in agreement - before the Bloodstorm invaded, they weren't even unified - and we also know the same is true of the Bloodstorm; to the point where the only reason they lost the first time was due to in-fighting.

So it's not outside the realm of possibility to say that each plane gave birth to more than one god; the plane of Water, for example, being the home of both Akylios and Thontic.

This also means that other gods outside the Bloodstorm and Vigil may exist.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

*Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast