+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Defiants take Meridian

Soulwalker

Default Defiants take Meridian

Hopefully a simple question...
    How long ago did Orphiel take Meridian from the Cultists?
    Was it before/during the Mathosian civil war?
    or was it during the ~20 years between then and now?

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by allmyalts View Post
    Hopefully a simple question...
    How long ago did Orphiel take Meridian from the Cultists?
    Was it before/during the Mathosian civil war?
    or was it during the ~20 years between then and now?
    It was actually shortly before Port Scion fell, if I remember correctly from the comic book. Alsbeth is the one who convinces everyone that they should leave to take Meridian and use it as another base of operations, and when they're gone is when everything hits the fan. So it's well after the Mathosian Civil War.

Default wha?

Maridian use to be cult stronghold?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Cathedral View Post
    Maridian use to be cult stronghold?
    Aye.

"If you visit this courtyard, do watch out for rogue water elementals. Meridian is built over a former Abyssal nest, so from time to time a faulty experiment unleashes one of Akylios’s spawn. Progress has its risks. The scholars usually banish the wretches before recalibrating their instruments." -Orphiel Fairwind

“Some of it, yes. I do know that the cult made you Tidelord of Meridian. But you approached Asha and Orphiel, offering them the stronghold in exchange for amnesty and a position of power within the emerging Defiant.” -Guardian Spy to the Faceless Man

This is why you see random Abyssal creatures wander into Meridian's courtyard and be instantly killed by the guards from time to time.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

*Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Xerokine View Post
    This is why you see random Abyssal creatures wander into Meridian's courtyard and be instantly killed by the guards from time to time.
    No. The abyssal creatures are part of the current world event. They (and the 'drenched villagers' they spawn from) will no-doubt disappear after this chunk of content is over sort of like the piles of gold disappeared after the last content patch was over.

Sez

Quote Originally Posted by Abbigail View Post
    No. The abyssal creatures are part of the current world event. They (and the 'drenched villagers' they spawn from) will no-doubt disappear after this chunk of content is over sort of like the piles of gold disappeared after the last content patch was over.
    That's not what he's talking about. He's talking about the Water elementals.
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Abbigail View Post
    You're confusing the serpent-men with the water elementals that randomly pop up. He's talking about the elementals, and you'll see the NPCs that attack them say a line directed to them, like "This belongs to the Defiants now! Tell your masters they'll never have it back!" etc.

Soulwalker

I actually just reread the comic books, and Meridian is not actually claimed before the fall of Port Scion.

In Comic #2, Dead and Ascended, Zareph tasked Asha and Katia on a quest to Meridian, then an Abyssal stronghold, to recover an ancient Eth machine that was believed could strengthen the rift shield around Port Scion, and possibly even extend it to other strongholds. Asha and Katia's party to fight their way through whatever Abyssal forces were guarding Meridian, however no one was tasked to hold this location. (Alsbeth's deception happened later when the forces left to retake Granite Falls, and Asha and Katia were sent to Deepstrike Mines with a booby-trapped device).

While I have not found any explicit information on this, it seems as if Meridian the Abyssal stronghold was not the same building that the Defiants now use. When talking to NPCs in Meridian, they say something along the lines of "Meridian was built upon an old Abyssal stronghold". They also confirm that sometimes failed experiments will result in Abyssal spawns forming..... these are the lower level water elementals, and not the event Abyssal creatures a poster above referred to.

Soulwalker

I did also forget about the information on Meridian from the official Rift website. There you find out that indeed the Defiant built the city of Meridian as we know it, modeling it after the ancient Eth cities of polished sandstone and towering spires. It also mentioned that it was built upon an old Abyssal "nest" (as a poster above linked the in-game text), which also paints a picture of a more primative Abyssal stronghold.

So as for the date, my best guess would be that the Defiant took Meridian sometime in the 20 years bewteen the fall of Port Scion (where they officially split off to become their own faction) and the present day. It seems pretty established, and the Defiant would need a base pretty early on, so I would guess it was built pretty soon after they split.
    Last edited by Sayville; 07-22-2011 at 05:13 AM.

Soulwalker

Edit to above post: I forgot that the Shade was 20 years before present day, but the fall of Port Scion, and the official split of factions, was only 1 year ago. So I guess that would make Meridian pretty new!

Quote Originally Posted by Sayville View Post
    Edit to above post: I forgot that the Shade was 20 years before present day, but the fall of Port Scion, and the official split of factions, was only 1 year ago. So I guess that would make Meridian pretty new!
    It's the same with Sanctum. After the fall of Port Scion and the division between the two factions, the Guardians went into Silverwood and prayed to the Vigil for a new home. In response, an island rose from the sea just off the eastern coast. The Guardians saw this as a sign, and built their temple and homes on the island, and named it Sanctum.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

*Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

I would take the comic book with a grain of salt. It's probably the gist of what happened, but the exact details may be a little different in the actual game.

Prophet of Telara

If you guys haven't done the new water saga quest on defiant-side there's a lot of stuff about Meridian/The Faceless Man's role in it. Some spoilerzz follow:

The library and the spire were definitely pre-existing in the Abyssal times, Meridian was a place of research into forbidden tomes stored in the spire, which pre-dated the Abyssal taking ownership of it, and Faceless Man was made Tidelord of Meridian. He used his position to allow the Defiant in, and set up runes and stuff to protect it from the Abyssal.

Plane Walker

I really enjoyed reading this:

http://www.mmosanctuary.com/rift-pla...e-faceless-man

and found myself wondering at the end, did the Faceless One kill this traveller because he knew too much? did the traveller unknowingly unveil a secret the Faceless one wanted to remain as such?

Quote Originally Posted by MrFunsocks View Post
    If you guys haven't done the new water saga quest on defiant-side there's a lot of stuff about Meridian/The Faceless Man's role in it. Some spoilerzz follow:

The library and the spire were definitely pre-existing in the Abyssal times, Meridian was a place of research into forbidden tomes stored in the spire, which pre-dated the Abyssal taking ownership of it, and Faceless Man was made Tidelord of Meridian. He used his position to allow the Defiant in, and set up runes and stuff to protect it from the Abyssal.
    I can't wait to do the Water Saga! (on both factions)

Quote Originally Posted by Mythue View Post
    I really enjoyed reading this:

http://www.mmosanctuary.com/rift-pla...e-faceless-man

and found myself wondering at the end, did the Faceless One kill this traveller because he knew too much? did the traveller unknowingly unveil a secret the Faceless one wanted to remain as such?
    He was killed for being a spy spying on spies. Even though he was likely alone, he was still a danger. Faceless Man simply was brutal and quick in ending this danger.

However, I also wonder - even though its not like he's blackmailing the Defiants, there still may also be a secret that he may be there because he is the only one that keeps Meridian largely safe from whatever is under it. Maybe?

I do expect the underground of Meridian to be dealt with sometime (likely an instance), and the same with dealing with Orphiel's machinations. Seems every Defiant leader has their own 'thing', that will have to be addressed in the plot
    (whereas the Guardians may seem more apt to corruption, ironically, in the plot - they also are largely steadfast in their devotion to the Vigil, and turn against the 'doing your own thing' like Hylas did - for "in that path lies corruption")

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast