+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are There Other Continents?

Telaran

Default Are There Other Continents?

And more importantly, are they more technically advanced? Heck, are they even reference in lore at all. Because somehow i don't think it makes sense lore wise that the entire population of the world is on one continent a few square km big.

Also, the cities bother me. How come my capital city is comprised of a dome and like 3 houses?
    Is there a lore reason for this?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAndShiny View Post
    And more importantly, are they more technically advanced? Heck, are they even reference in lore at all. Because somehow i don't think it makes sense lore wise that the entire population of the world is on one continent a few square km big.

Also, the cities bother me. How come my capital city is comprised of a dome and like 3 houses?

Thanks.
    There's the Kalari Isles mentioned and the continent we are on is referenced as the biggest in Telara. But it also explains the geography as Sea to the East as we see it but the West is cut off by mountains. I would presume the landmass will extend further west and the sea is just temporary for the sake of the map.
    Last edited by Anuhart; 07-14-2011 at 07:53 AM.

Rift Master

Yea the continent we're on is the biggest but there are other continents. Between Akylios's minions at sea and the mountains we're pretty locked up.
    Last edited by Shadowclaimer; 07-14-2011 at 08:46 AM.

Sword of Telara

Thanks.
    Short answer: yes. There is at least one other continent mentioned in a book, noted for its spice trade. Hell if I can remember its name though.

As for the cities, Meridian has a LOT of buildings in the hills that aren't accessible. Sanctum straight up isn't a city, so much as more of a temple that had houses built into it.

Well, i see the capitals as the headquarters of their respectal Faction. Not a real city, because at least Sanctum is way to small for that. Meridian, well, I guess the homes in the mountain should be opened up sometime.

Due to the war with the plains, a lot of cities are presently inaccessible or totally wiped out:

Port Scion - a once great port city, which can be seen from the bridge between Silverwood and Freemarch is a pile of smoldering rubble that has been trashed by death energy and the undead. You can currently access a potion of the city in the lvl 50 warfront, Port Scion.

The Mathosian Homeland / Stillmoor - also completely trashed and overrun with undead. This is essentially "ground zero". You'll find plenty of abandoned towns and villages throughout the zone.

Crucia's City - you know that giant lake in Iron Pine Peak with funny looking spires sticking up? Yeah. It was a city once. It was one of the bad guy's (er... girl's) cities, but it counts, right?

As for continents:

From the lore given so far, I'd also consider the Kelari Isles (along with the lost Eth homeland) to at least at one point have been technologically advanced. What has happened at the Isles since the Kelari came to Freemarch is a total mystery. It may have been wiped out, or it might be the next threat. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the evil spirits mentioned in lore possessed the remaining Kelari and then got hungry for more. Perhaps we'll eventually get a few new zones out of it. I'd love to see a new jungle map, and maybe some volcanoes. (Give me Hawaii!) Charmer's Caldera just doesn't seem enough.

Other continents are currently inaccessible due to the sea being a teeming pile of Akylios' minions... in theory. In actuality, there isn't really much out there stopping you from swimming around as a healing cleric with a few mana potions. It's quite shallow and you can swim off-map to the east. (I got bored and started to worry about falling over the edge of the world, so I eventually stopped.)

And the map for the southeastern potion of Telara we can't get to from land... is inaccurate. The cliff wall is actually a bit more north than the map claims. We really, really don't know too much about our world beyond the current boundaries. There's a globe in the library in Iron Pine Peak, if I recall correctly. It's probably horribly inaccurate as well. Some early Christopher Columbus probably got bored and decided to see what would happen if they cut up their map of Telara and pasted it to a globe.
    Last edited by Arynite; 07-14-2011 at 10:58 AM.
    Eshlon@Greybriar

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Arynite View Post
    Crucia's City - you know that giant lake in Iron Pine Peak with funny looking spires sticking up? Yeah. It was a city once. It was one of the bad guy's (er... girl's) cities, but it counts, right?
    Crucia's city is underneath the ice, actually. It's inaccessible for a reason: if you could get in, she could get out.

That's bad.

Plane Touched

I'm hoping that Akylios's demise in Hammerknell opens up lore-justified reasons to be able to venture beyond what we currently are stuck in. The world feels too small to me and I'd really like for it to be expanded upon.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Lumenadducere View Post
    I'm hoping that Akylios's demise in Hammerknell opens up lore-justified reasons to be able to venture beyond what we currently are stuck in. The world feels too small to me and I'd really like for it to be expanded upon.
    I think Regulos is blamed in part due to the oceans being impassable. You learn this in Kelari Refuge, in Freemarch, by talking to random Kelari.

Now, granted, this might just be them blaming everything on Regulos, which the Defiants do until you kill Greenscale and realize "oh snap all the dragons are dangerous". But I agree on the world feeling a bit small: there's only one dragon that we don't know the location of, and it personally feels a little weird that they're ALL on the same continent. I want Maelforge to be somewhere memorable, and Droughtlands... really isn't.

Thanks.
    I remember from past MMO's that the 'small' size of towns and cities is purely for gameplay purposes, since making an appropriately-sized city would require a lot of resources and space. A good rule of thumb from WoW, if I recall, is that all the lands, towns, cities, etc. are at a 1:43 scale or something like that. So, just imagine the towns x amount of times larger as that would be more accurate.

Telaran

Another problem with size is that we've got the land kinda scrunched up due to game play reasons >> the continent is actually A LOT bigger in lore, but game play wise it's size had to be reduced.
    A thread for roleplaying newblets and veterans alike: A Beginners Guide to Roleplaying

Simply put, neither Sanctum nor Meridian are actual cities. Sanctum would be kind of a temple, Meridian was a stronghold for the Abyssal.
    As it stands now, our characters are more replaceable than our gear...
    My character is not a coat hanger!

Considering that Sanctum, island and all, has existed for less than a year, and Meridian only existed as an Abyssal temple before the Defiants took it over, I'd say they're doing pretty good.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

*Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

Telaran

not to mention, as said in one of the dungeon pages I believe, that a BUNCH of places just kinda got sucked up into the various planes with the rifts... so I wouldn't be surprised if the whole space time continuum is just kinda f***ed to hell by this whole thing >>;
    A thread for roleplaying newblets and veterans alike: A Beginners Guide to Roleplaying

This is a post-apocalyptic world.
    We have no big cities, because the world was ripped of by cataclysms.
    The Convocation erased the Eth Empire, the Shade erased the Mathosian Empire, the RIFTS slowly destroyed what was left. Port Scion was the last city, and it was lost.

The population of Telara is near extinction, hiding in ruins or small settlements, fighting for survival. We see it everywhere in the world.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast