+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does race predetermine faction?

Default Does race predetermine faction?

On the Rift web page the faction of Mathosians is not mentioned. Are they Guardian, are they Defiant, are they both? Will there be races that extend across faction boundaries?

Dwarfs are mentioned as Guardian. As tool users, magic dabblers, builders I could imagine some of them choosing the Defiant faction. Will that be possible?

Is faction static or is it variable? Is it only determined by choosing a race? Is faction not changeable after character creation or does it change dynamically as the character explores the world?

Personally I would love a dynamic system, not one that is fixed by choice of race.

Yes i believe race will seperate good/evil or (god worshippers/technology users is what they are seperated by i guess based on lore)
    Merlonus-Pyro-lock

You choose your faction first and foremost. THEN you have your choices of races available for that particular faction.

Mathosian, High Elf and Dwarf are Guardian only.

Eth, Bhami and Khelari are Defiant only.
    Veteran MMORPG Player for 10 years. Played almost all of them at one point. Played variety of races and classes and am good at most of them also.

now there are race/faction restrictions on class right
    Merlonus-Pyro-lock

Quote Originally Posted by Merlonus View Post
    now there are race/faction restrictions on class right
    Their current system (subject to change, and all that), is that your *starting* class is limited by your faction, but there are no such limits on classes you collect during gameplay.

So, a Defiant couldn't start as a Paladin, but they can collect the Paladin soul at some point after character creation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirander View Post
    Their current system (subject to change, and all that), is that your *starting* class is limited by your faction, but there are no such limits on classes you collect during gameplay.

So, a Defiant couldn't start as a Paladin, but they can collect the Paladin soul at some point after character creation.
    well only some classes will be restricted by faction at character creation. So far only paladin and warlock are restricted in this way and as Mirander said that can change as you progress in the game.
    Those who guard nature, guard life itself. Those who defile nature bring death and destruction upon us all.

As for races, yes, that has been confirmed - there are 3 races per faction.

Onto the class part. I see them either making a list of Guardian-only classes, Defiant-only classes, and a small list of neutral classes. Having all classes (except for Paladins and Warlocks) being neutral would kind of defeat the purpose of a faction based game; on the other hand, making all the classes faction-based could potentially cut out some much-needed group/raid balance. Who knows, though, with the game having 32 classes and the 3 soul feature.

edit: Typo, hit 4 when I meant 3.
    Last edited by Knives; 08-16-2010 at 11:40 PM.

Thank you.

Wouldn't it make more sense if faction is earned, not static, earned in the sense of dependent on your activities? If you help one side, you would gain faction there and loose faction on the other side.

Static faction means a character is stuck with whatever choice you made during creation, and this game seems to be all about not being stuck.

A dynamic faction would mean that with enough effort a Defiant could by his action reform himself to become a Guardian. It would give freedom, purpose and additional content to play. I do not see how Race or Class would forever fix faction (and player characters are basically eternal since they are raised souls).

Role-playing a soul, it is not the initial creation that should define faction it is the characters interaction with the world that should determine it. Changing faction, becoming accepted by the other side shouldn't be easy but it should be doable imo.

While a dynamic faction would be an awesome feature, I can see it being difficult to code in. I can understand lore reasons why you can't simply BECOME Guardian or Defiant, you might be able to earn their grudging acceptance, but I don't think there is a conversion process, it doesn't seem to fit into the lore.

im pretty sure it does from the vid's ive seen.

I agree on the dynamic faction, that's a pretty nice idea; but, I think it goes against the lore. The player characters are supposed to be ancient heroes reborn, I'm sure tradition from before your death (which would be the faction you choose on the character creations screen) would dictate what faction you choose to help.

I suppose you could have been a ronin-like hero. I could see an "exile" faction where you could do something drastic (a long, perhaps difficult, series of quests) to join the opposing faction as nothing more than an outsider while throwing away all ties with your previous faction. In such a war-torn world as Telara, I doubt either faction would be willing to accept traitors: an exile would be able to choose souls tied to their new faction but would only be able to interact with special merchants on the outskirts of town or something.

I highly doubt Trion is going to implement anything like this but, if they do, I hope they don't make it as trivial as EverQuest II's betrayal system. Traitors should not be able to return to their old faction and should be discriminated against in their new faction.

The other thing that concerns me is that you can't guild or group with opposing faction. This seems like it will be really hard to balance especially for raids. I know for eq2 there is no restriction for pve servers (which makes sense) and there is a restriction on the pvp only servers. They did have to remove the class restrictions so "good" classes could adopt evil faction and vise versa so they could raid successfully on pvp servers.

I am a little concerned since they are being so faction restrictive based upon race and then there are restrictions on the classes as well. This could really make it difficult to get successful raid builds.

Quote Originally Posted by Perros View Post
    Dwarfs are mentioned as Guardian. As tool users, magic dabblers, builders I could imagine some of them choosing the Defiant faction. Will that be possible?

Is faction static or is it variable? Is it only determined by choosing a race? Is faction not changeable after character creation or does it change dynamically as the character explores the world?
    You would think the dwarfs fit the Defiant almost completely but I guess not, though it is explained at the end here. I was hoping that the dwarfs would have a choice of what is more important to them but I don't think that will happen. I actually expect to see 1 or 2 dwarf NPCs hanging around in Defiant cities since they have a choice in what is more important to them but that might not happen either.

You can't change your faction when you pick your race.
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Ascendant

Two Factions: Guardians & Defiant

Telara has its own Pantheon, per many previous Lore leader quotes.

What gods will the Guardians have - will they also play in some type of faction equation within the Guardians?

Quote Originally Posted by Chaszar View Post
    Two Factions: Guardians & Defiant

Telara has its own Pantheon, per many previous Lore leader quotes.

What gods will the Guardians have - will they also play in some type of faction equation within the Guardians?
    The Gods

And check the rest of the Telerapedia out. Great job done here- Many things are more updated than this site

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast