+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Elves vs Dwarves "The Sentinal"

Default Elves vs Dwarves "The Sentinal"

Background

Unable to reconcile the contradictions between the gods, the Elf initiate Niyol Cliffswind made a pilgrimage to Hammerknell. In the capitol of the Elves’ ancient enemies, the Dwarves, he tried to learn how Bahralt’s bustling cities could coexist with Tavril’s pristine wilderness.

His days there were a misery: jostled and berated, unable to gain audience with a priest of Bahralt. Then one night, a lynch mob pulled Niyol from his bed. “Filthy spy!“ they cried, for an Elvish surprise attack had breached the city walls. Dragged toward the gibbet, Niyol heard the clamor as fighting raged through Hammerknell.

The Elf vanguard burst into the grand hall just as the hangman fitted a noose to Niyol’s neck. A moment later, the dwarf fell with an arrow in his throat, knocking Niyol off his bench. The rope drew tight.
    Source: http://www.telaracentral.com/?p=603#more-603
    I was really hoping that Elves and Dwarves would be on opposite factions. This snippet of lore from the Sentinel soul leads to the conclusion that they might, yet it has already been announced that they are both Guardians.

From what i could read.. it sounds they were enemies in the past.. but the day the first sentinel appeared.. they all became followers of the vigil
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The dark elves are defiant do you will get half of what you hoped for.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3250&dateline=1279205  221
    <PAIN >

Quote Originally Posted by Acebreus View Post
    I don't believe in Dark Elves

I guess I just wanted to see more moral dilemmas between "good" races that are at war because of different cultural aspects. Dwarves being crafts people would have been suited to the Defiant point of view in my opinion, with their craft evolving into a curiosity for ancient technology.

I'm not too concerned, I was just hoping that high elves and dwarves were going to be against each other instead of on the same side like they are in warhammer or warcraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Acebreus View Post
    I don't believe in Dark Elves

I guess I just wanted to see more moral dilemmas between "good" races that are at war because of different cultural aspects. Dwarves being crafts people would have been suited to the Defiant point of view in my opinion, with their craft evolving into a curiosity for ancient technology.

I'm not too concerned, I was just hoping that high elves and dwarves were going to be against each other instead of on the same side like they are in warhammer or warcraft.

If we are in for a bit of luck, maybe defiant will get gnomes, that weould be awesome =), well to hunt them that is, they are far more fun to kill than a dwarf from a pvp perspective

Quote Originally Posted by Elth View Post
    I was really hoping that Elves and Dwarves would be on opposite factions. This snippet of lore from the Sentinel soul leads to the conclusion that they might, yet it has already been announced that they are both Guardians.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyroth View Post
    From what i could read.. it sounds they were enemies in the past.. but the day the first sentinel appeared.. they all became followers of the vigil
    Well now this does pose a dilemma...although not really.

One of the nice things about the lore in the game is that you can be on either side and be evil, prejudiced, even hateful, and still be a skilled warrior for your faction. And who knows what time frame you may have lived in in your past life. Maybe it was before this event when the dwarves and elves united under the Vigil and therefore you may still dislike dwarves.

If I am an ascended elf guardian, does that inherently make me a dwarf-lover just because they happen to serve the Vigil as well? Absolutely not. I am an elf and while I will do the Vigil's bidding to save Telara, even if that means I have to fight at the side of a stunted, bearded, ale-slogging dorf, my loyalties will always lie first and foremost with my patron god, Tavril. I see my relationship with dwarves as being something akin to the rivalry between Legolas and Gimly when the Fellowship of the Ring was first formed, working together because we have to for the greater good, but very distrusting of each other.
    Last edited by Sylvrin; 08-16-2010 at 10:34 PM.
    Those who guard nature, guard life itself. Those who defile nature bring death and destruction upon us all.

Quote Originally Posted by armengar View Post
    If we are in for a bit of luck, maybe defiant will get gnomes, that weould be awesome =)
    I'd love that! Nothing better than bringing all the big guys down to size (even if you do get punted once in awhile...).

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvrin View Post

One of the nice things about the lore in the game is that you can be on either side and be evil, prejudiced, even hateful, and still be a skilled warrior for your faction. And who knows what time frame you may have lived in in your past life. Maybe it was before this event when the dwarves and elves united under the Vigil and therefore you may still dislike dwarves.

If I am an ascended elf guardian, does that inherently make me a dwarf-lover just because they happen to serve the Vigil as well? Absolutely not. I am an elf and while I will do the Vigil's bidding to save Telara, even if that means I have to fight at the side of a stunted, bearded, ale-slogging dorf, my loyalties will always lie first and foremost with my patron god, Tavril. I see my relationship with dwarves as being something akin to the rivalry between Legolas and Gimly when the Fellowship of the Ring was first formed, working together because we have to for the greater good, but very distrusting of each other.
    Fun roleplay scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvrin View Post

Thank you for the inspiration Sylvrin that is a great concept. I think I will have quite a lot of fun with a character from both sides of the Elf vs Dwarf Conflict, without forcing drunken dwarf stereotypes or hippy elves of course. That wouldn't be very original.

Once upon a time this game was called Heroes of Telara and was quite different

A bunch of the lore from classes and such still go off of old lore and hasn't been updated yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimsul View Post
    Once upon a time this game was called Heroes of Telara and was quite different

A bunch of the lore from classes and such still go off of old lore and hasn't been updated yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Telaracentral.com
    This entry was posted by Oabe on August 16, 2010 at 11:37 am, and is filed under News.
    It is new info sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by Elth View Post
    Well, the Sentinel description does say
    Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel History
    Both sides pledged alliance ever after, and the mendicant went on his way.
    Of course, there's always the roleplayer's perspective- you don't have to like everything all the time.
    Don't waste your time replying to me directly in a post.

These forums are garbage and no threads can be subscribed to properly since 2010.

+ Reply to Thread