+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sinndel

Thread: Lore Discussion: Possibility of New Races?

Rift Master

Default Lore Discussion: Possibility of New Races?

So the dozen posts about new races leads me to create this, and as such I figure this is the best place to discuss it, since the average person doesn't necessarily embrace/understand the lore to a level to craft a new race for the game that fits the universe and story.

I had toyed with a couple ideas in my head, and truthfully the most fitting things I could think of are more "planetouched" or races related to the planes. Similar to how the Bahmi are descendants of ancient planar refugees, there has to be more to the world and others like them.

So I set about this morning working towards what races would fit into the game, trying to craft some suggestions, and these are the two I came up with:

-

The Shulrath
    Defiant
    Not all those who dwell in the planes declare allegiance to their respective god of the Bloodstorm. Maelforge's brutality and penchant for destroying on a whim leave some of his followers isolated, and since before the time of the first Bloodstorm Wars there has been a civil war brewing within his realm that his spilled over into Telara. The Wazshul were a great people who fought for their freedom against Maelforge after a great betrayal against them, they maintained extensive contact with the first Eth through gateways and portals and staged plans for their entrance into the world and exodus from the planes.

When the Wazshul managed to break through the ward long enough to emerge in Telara, they found very few of them survived the transition and the remaining Wazshul were so few in number that surely they would die lost in this new world. The exodus had failed and their people were dying. The remaining Wazshul took refuge with nomadic Eth clans and as years passed their bloodlines mixed, resulting in the current Shulrath people. Eventually the old Wazshul had died out, and all that remained were their offspring, these Shulrath were potent and volatile people and could abuse their connections to the planes to help their allies out wherever possible. In time when the Defiant began rallying old Eth tribes to their sides, the Shulrath began to answer their call.

Physically the Shulrath stand slightly taller than other Eth and their skin varies in shades of red and pink. Ridges and horns adorn their bodies and every Shulrath prides themselves on their own set of horns protruding from their heads. Their bodies are adorned with markings and piercings symbolizing their hardships and how they can never forget their ancestors fall as they attempted to escape the planes.

Racials:
    Children of the Plane of Fire
    Passive
    Fire resistance increased by 20

Planar Shift
    Active - Out of Combat
    Shulrath can open a portal to the planes and walk through on one side and come out on the other. (Similar to other targetted travel abilities)

The Cortesians
    Guardian
    From the great island of Cortesia to the east of the known world, comes the seafaring Cortesian people, long known as great merchants, tradesman, and sailors the Cortesians have always been a hearty and enterprising people. Their connection to the sea has made them the prized people of Thontic and as such they were welcomed with open arms into the Guardians.

Rumors abound that, like the Bahmi, the Cortesians can trace their ancestry back to the planes themselves, but unlike the Bahmi they are repentant and take the Vigil as their own. For this the Guardians ask no questions and for their faith and strong will they are welcomed into the Guardians to fight back the Defiant.

Physically the Cortesians are giants among men, their stature and bodies are built for hard physical labor and sea travel. Their skin varies in shades of blue and green and it is not uncommon for a Cortesian to have fins or such where hair normally would be, they are also known for their long beards adorned with decorations and gifts from the sea. They also carry markings and tattoos symbolizing their love and association with Thontic.

Racials:
    Akylios's Bane
    Passive
    Water resistance increased by 20

Connection to the Sea
    Passive
    Cortesians can hold their breath twice as long as other races.

-

I'm curious if anyone else has any interesting ideas/story for races to add to Rift that would fit within the bounds of the lore. Just for the sake of interesting discussion.

Rift Master

Sadly I cannot edit my post, but here are some very rough sketches:

Courtesian faces/hair:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...adSketches.png

Shulroth full body:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...rathsketch.png

Sadly my initial Cortesian sketch came out very Bahmi-looking, due to the choice of facial hair/lack of hair.
    Last edited by Shadowclaimer; 07-11-2011 at 06:35 AM.

I'm against any race being called "Courtesans"....
    I have a photoshopic memory. I remember everything you say or do exactly the way I want to.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    Err just noticed my spelling error..

Dammit hold on let me correct that..

AND its too late to fix.. its spelled Cortesian "core-tee-shin" not courtesan.
    Last edited by Shadowclaimer; 07-11-2011 at 06:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    Lol, well I atleast think his post is well thought out and put together.
    Onolawk - 60 Guardian Mage
    Former Maximation Raider

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowclaimer View Post
    Err just noticed my spelling error..

Dammit hold on let me correct that..

AND its too late to fix.. its spelled Cortesian "core-tee-shin" not courtesan.
    They're still far too similar really, but I'll stop picking on the names. As long as Trion doesn't insert a new race from another planet, I'll be fine with pretty much anything.
    I have a photoshopic memory. I remember everything you say or do exactly the way I want to.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by crono14 View Post
    Lol, well I atleast think his post is well thought out and put together.
    Thank you for that >< names can always be changed lol and if I could edit my post I'd change it, but sadly Trion hates me.

I need to expand the Cortesian lore a lot more truthfully, I'm thinking about making them be the embodiment of the term "Idle hands are the dragon's playthings", they work hard and toil throughout the day for the sake of keeping away the ramblings of Akylios and his mad minions. Then there could be "lost ones" or those that have given into the ramblings and are just flat out insane.
    Last edited by Shadowclaimer; 07-11-2011 at 06:59 AM.

Plane Touched

Is Cortesia that land mentioned in one of the books as being a trade center? Kind of with an Asian theme to it? Just wondering.

My only qualm with the races is that currently the only racial that IMO is worth anything is the dwarf racial. Everyone else gets a slight movement ability that's completely negated when you get a mount, but the ability to take significantly reduced fall damage comes in very handy, especially when exploring or artifact-hunting.

As far as lore is concerned, your basis for both races is sound. With Akylios's temporary demise in Hammerknell we should see the seas calm and open up room for overseas races to come and ally with both factions...and it's likely that if we see any more plane-based races they'd be heading to the Defiants since the Vigil distrusts creatures from the planes (in this reality, at least).

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lumenadducere View Post
    Is Cortesia that land mentioned in one of the books as being a trade center? Kind of with an Asian theme to it? Just wondering.

My only qualm with the races is that currently the only racial that IMO is worth anything is the dwarf racial. Everyone else gets a slight movement ability that's completely negated when you get a mount, but the ability to take significantly reduced fall damage comes in very handy, especially when exploring or artifact-hunting.

As far as lore is concerned, your basis for both races is sound. With Akylios's temporary demise in Hammerknell we should see the seas calm and open up room for overseas races to come and ally with both factions...and it's likely that if we see any more plane-based races they'd be heading to the Defiants since the Vigil distrusts creatures from the planes (in this reality, at least).
    I entirely made the land up truthfully, I just wanted to base a race around Thontic (Since the Mathosians, Elves, and Dwarves all have their own Vigil god) and the seas have plenty of room to expand. I figure the concept of a race with a tie to Akylios and Thontic would prove to be very interesting and add into the lore, of course I doubt the Guardians would turn away from devout Vigilites when it came down to it, regardless of their origins.

Thontic is mystery. To know the god is to discover, to travel, to explore. Sanctum is a beacon of safety, beauty and wonder. There are so many wonderful things in Telara to be discovered. Thontic gives blessings to those that travel the world. Thontic doesn't care if it is to uncover the evil plots of the dragons, to fight the elemental invaders, to find rare and valuable treasure, or just to find that one mountain with the best view. The world of Telara is a world of wonder and beauty, of dangers and adventure. Explore!

Thontic was the patron of merchants, sailors and explorers. Now as part of the Vigil, Thontic shows us that there is always something more to the world than what we have previously believed. Thontic is said to have created the porticulums, which allows Guardians to travel further in the world than any have been able to previously. [1]
    What he is sums up what this race should be.

As for the other race, I just liked the concept of a Fire based race that showed more history from the planes, I absolutely adore the Bahmi background history about a prince of Air rebelling against Crucia, so the concept of a fire based group that tries to flee Maelforge seemed awesome. I took some aspects of their design from Tieflings and the typical Wanton Demons ingame.

As for Racials, yea they're all very minor. The double breath really has limited uses as does double falling damage ;) (I'm not going to lie, playing Bahmi I miss my Mathosian sprint, and playing Mathosian I really really miss my Eth sprint)
    Last edited by Shadowclaimer; 07-11-2011 at 11:42 AM.

+ Reply to Thread