+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lutinz

Thread: In-Game Lore

Default In-Game Lore

First off, where's the in-game lore? Lore is one of the most interesting parts of a game (at least for me), if not the best reason to play it. We get snippets of the storyline here and there, during questing and world events, but I'd like to see more in relation to questing.

The plot seems like it's forgotten for the most part after the first few levels. Sure, for guardians, they kick the crap out of Hylas's treant, and I don't know much of the defiant story after the first zone, it just seems like the story totally changes in each area for everyone.

This leads to the next point. WoW's lore is insanely good, in fact, the primary reason I played the game. The faction leaders didn't just go, "Let's build a big city so we can stand there all day and do nothing." They were active parts of the story, perhaps not so much in the middle, but definitely during the leveling experience in the 60-85 range.

Sure, Cyril and Asha were there during the opening of RoS, but where else were they? Not helping players, not trying to retake their lands, just sitting in their cities. Thrall didn't sit there, neither did Varian. They led armies into battle and Thrall was actively trying to save the world.

I know you're thinking, 'Just go back to playing WoW.' I felt like this game gave a new start. New characters, new story, and I like it. However, I think the lore could be somewhat more integrated into the actual gameplay. Not complaining about it, I enjoy the game as it is now, but more involved lore could add extra flavor.

Thanks for reading!
    Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

Ascendant

Thrall and Varian sat around for ooooooooohhhhhhhhh about 2 expansions before they got motivated
    DK of The Fast and the Fairyous: Tokyo Rift

Quote Originally Posted by Cortis View Post
    WoW's lore is insanely good
    And there's where I stopped reading -.-
    I have a photoshopic memory. I remember everything you say or do exactly the way I want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordfishy View Post
    Thrall and Varian sat around for ooooooooohhhhhhhhh about 2 expansions before they got motivated
    Those are just examples, Sylvanas went out and blew up stuff, as did some of the night elves. Perhaps we just need some heroes? Like Malfurion or Garrosh, (maybe someone like Brann Bronzebeard) who go out into the wild world. I suppose Garrosh doesn't do much... anyway, Tam Daggerbone would be pretty sweet if he went and actually did something

Ascendant

I helped Scotty Malm. Thats kinda lore related
    DK of The Fast and the Fairyous: Tokyo Rift

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    And there's where I stopped reading -.-
    Oh come on now, you can't tell me you don't like it lol.

In all seriousness, it's immersive and well thought out. Maybe not Cataclysm so much, I didn't enjoy the recycled crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Cortis View Post
    Oh come on now, you can't tell me you don't like it lol.

In all seriousness, it's immersive and well thought out. Maybe not Cataclysm so much, I didn't enjoy the recycled crap.
    The moment the dranei fell out of the sky, and the orcs went "US TOO SAME PLANET" before going back to the darkside, I knew the lore team had found the magic brownies.
    I have a photoshopic memory. I remember everything you say or do exactly the way I want to.

Plane Touched

WoW also has, what, a decade of games and world-building to draw from? It's hardly a fair comparison.

But as for seeing characters more: play further into the game. My Guardian STILL hasn't left Silverwood, (mostly because I made a new one) but at least Defiant-side you see the big names turn up after the first few zones. Asha Catari is in Fortune's Shore, and Orphiel is in Zareph's Return. Faceless Man is in Moonshade and Zareph's Return as well. Kira and Uriel show up in almost every single zone, and they have an over-arching plot (which coincidentally happens to be one of my favorites in the game). Kaspar is in Moonshade as well, along with Brother Damon.

I've seen and heard similar things Guardian-side. I know Brother Jebiah and Borrin Gammult are both in Moonshade as well, and I'd venture that Cyril is probably in Fortune's Shore if Asha is. And most likely many others.

Now, if the concern is that the major NPCs are just quest-givers and are not actually running around doing things, well...yes. That could probably be addressed a bit. But you do get NPC figures actively involved in quests, especially in some of the dungeons. And ultimately I guess I'm ok with having the leaders be more in charge of logistics and planning than being field agents. Besides, we're not even in the first expansion - I'm sure we'll see more dynamic things soon enough.

Shadowlander

I have to agree, although I'm just now getting into the scarwood and scarlet gorge zones. So i realize my character still has places to go and quests to do. But even still, at level 30, I feel like there's been very little lore introduced. I've read ALL of my quests, but they're those minor stories that don't really add to the overall lore.

And it's funny this comes up, becae lately I've been asking myself "what's going on again?"

I feel kind of clueless as to the world's story and what's happening. Yes, there are off-game places and sites I can go to, but I shouldn't have to do that for the main story.

Overall, the game needs more important storylines and lore introduced as quests and cut scence.

On that point, this seems like a decent place to ask:

Can anyone direct me to places, in game and out of game, where i CAN find lore?

I really feel like i'm missing large pieces of history, story and information. Sadly, the in game content is not providing this easily, but I still want to know.

What are recommendations for reading/researching the lore? Where are good places in game to find it? Where are good places out of game to go?
    Any particular sites?

RIFT Community Ambassador Maelystra's Avatar

I don't know about the guardians much (yet) but I had to save Asha from Tam daggerbone and ...uh ...some other Guardians npc in Lotham's Strike in Scarwood. There's a life rift with an ethian device sitting on the ground in the center that she wants, and THEY are trying to get in her way.

Kaspar Massi is in Scarlet Gorge and Scarwood too. Marshall Kain heads up the Guardian forces in Scarwood.

RIFT Community Ambassador Talila's Avatar

There's plenty of in-game lore. Each zone lets you know more and more about the dominating cults, about techs and fates of entire nations, and there's the mega quest about Kain.
    I could summon up the plots and details for the first five zones from a guardian perspective, but I don't want to give away spoilers.
    Sure the story for the zones changes, but if they didn't then this would be a really boring game. I appreciate the amount of "smaller" plotlines and stories, as they all give me when put together, a nice and complete view of Telara. It's not just one conflict, it's many many conflicts - and then two big general ones (Faction divide and Dragons).
    I went off to FFXIV. Here's my blog.

Plane Walker

My only suggestion is dont rush and read NPC text. The general direction of the game leveling on both sides is that your come out just after the fall of Port Scion and the collapse of the ruling power structure. The guardians and the defiants are no longer held together under the rule of the Prince and now seek to take matters into their own hands, strenghtening their power bases and moving against the growing rift threat and the faction they are opposed too.

For guardians it starts close to home securing Silverwood, ancestoral home of the High elves. As you act to counter an invasion by Maelforge, the dragon of fires, minions you become aware of the growing presence of Greenscales influence on house Aelfwar. Right of the bat you are in conflict with incursions by agents of the Bloodstorm, the enemy youve been sent back to stop.

Each zone you expand outwards strenghting your factions control over the land and countering the growing activities of the Bloodstorms agents. There is alot of lead in from one zone to the next. You head in to Gloamwood for example partially to persue the goblin threat to where it surfaced in the darkening deeps. While in Gloamwood you discover the source of the curse on the wood is an old elven witch. Your conflict with her introduces you to Alsbeth and the endless court that gets expanded on in both Scarlet gorge and Scarwood.

The story so far is basicly the story of a 8 way war with all the Bloodstorm and the Defiant and Guardian forces all clashing. There are times where truces are made such as in Moodshade but for the most part its a big swirling conflict. Your task it to stop the bloodstorm.

Id add that it would be nice to have more lore reference sources in game so you could look into things that interest you without having to look up websites or redo quest lines on a new toon.
    Last edited by Lutinz; 08-21-2011 at 07:09 PM.

+ Reply to Thread