+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Why Wasn't Orphiel at the Failsafe?

Soulwalker

Default Why Wasn't Orphiel at the Failsafe?

It's pretty funny, actually, when I think about it.

If the failsafe was activated by Orphiel, and we (as Ascended) were sent back to the moment of its activation -- where is Orphiel? Why is he all the way back to Meridian (10+ min mounted run)?

The way I picture it is like... he had to turn to the people near the failsafe and go "OK OK I'M ABOUT TO GO BACK TO MERIDIAN, TURN IT ON AFTER I'M WELL GONE SO IF PEOPLE COME THROUGH THEY DON'T SEE ME AND I CAN BE ALL MYSTERIOUS IN MY SECLUDED LIBRARY TOP.." which is pretty lol

Plane Touched

I think it was just designed and built by him instead of being activated by him...although in retrospect you're right and it is pretty silly. You'd think that when you build something that circumvents time you'd be wanting to be present for its activation.

How can I explain this to you. Future Orphiel dissapeared under mysterious circumstances. It's Sylver who ascends you and sends you back through the failsafe with the recipe for ascension. You are literally the ONLY PERSON to come back from Terminus (despite every other player character).

The Orphiel in Meridian as well as Asha, Sylver, and everyone else, are not from the future.
    I have a photoshopic memory. I remember everything you say or do exactly the way I want to.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    How can I explain this to you. Future Orphiel dissapeared under mysterious circumstances. It's Sylver who ascends you and sends you back through the failsafe with the recipe for ascension. You are literally the ONLY PERSON to come back from Terminus (despite every other player character).

The Orphiel in Meridian as well as Asha, Sylver, and everyone else, are not from the future.
    I think the OP is referring to present Orphiel not being there for the failsafe's activation, i.e. when you leave Terminus and arrive in present-day Freemarch. Not future Orphiel being missing in Terminus. It would make sense that present-day Orphiel would be present for the failsafe's activation considering he designed and built it.
    Last edited by Lumenadducere; 06-26-2011 at 05:42 PM.

A wizard arrives precisely when he means to.

Quote Originally Posted by Sotof View Post
    A wizard arrives precisely when he means to.
    I honestly loled XD
    I have a photoshopic memory. I remember everything you say or do exactly the way I want to.

Plane Walker

you created an alternate timeline to the one you were in from terminus.

in this timeline orphiel could have already made AND activated the failsafe, got bored of standing so close to the edge of freemarch where he could be attacked and went back to meridian hoping that you would AT SOME POINT come through the failsafe...
    'It's been a looooong time....

Quote Originally Posted by twistinthunder View Post
    you created an alternate timeline to the one you were in from terminus.

in this timeline orphiel could have already made AND activated the failsafe, got bored of standing so close to the edge of freemarch where he could be attacked and went back to meridian hoping that you would AT SOME POINT come through the failsafe...
    Or it's not an alternate timeline, and he just has a remote control for it. I mean with all the technology the defiants posses is radio frequency that hard to fathom? I imagine he would have sent a group of hired Bahmi goons to transport it and just pressed a button in his lab to activate it. I really doubt he would have been able to manage to break away from sciencing stuff long enough to do what he can just pay other people to do.

Champion

Actually, the failsafe is not quite what you think.

He wasn't there because the failsafe had an undetermined activation point. When he created it he couldn't be certain what the future would hold or where the transit would send them. The earliest possible point would be WHEN he finished it. It could of been days, weeks maybe even as much as month's into the future. The people of the future chose a moment about... I'd say two weeks after Scion fell. Which was a key moment. As you enter stillmoor you hit the eye of regulos. In the original timeline Alsbeth pulls off the resurrection and its all over but the crying. preventing the resurrection of Regulos changes the future entirely. Hence the river of souls instance. Oriphel could not predict the future only prepare for the worst case scenario. Because of that he could not remain at the machine. He had more important things to handle.

Now if you are wondering why he wasnt at the future. If i had to guess i'd say an assassin got him. It's never really clear.

On a larger point however, I don't expect Terminus to be the starting area for much longer. The slivers reveal resurrection forges and you pull something off of them. Plus there's the data that has been brought back by the defiant ascended time and again. There's probably enough data that forges can be built and operated in the current timeline now. Not in a limited procedure like Oriphel had before.
    Last edited by Hyperion5182; 06-27-2011 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion5182 View Post
    Now if you are wondering why he wasnt at the future. If i had to guess i'd say an assassin got him. It's never really clear.
    The last thing in the lore about him is that he planned to test ascension on a living subject, that subject being himself. My best guess is he went through with the experiment, and it had unexpected consequences. That is to say he either vaporized himself and died, or he became a god and occupies another realm of existance, or any combination of circumstances in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    The last thing in the lore about him is that he planned to test ascension on a living subject, that subject being himself. My best guess is he went through with the experiment, and it had unexpected consequences. That is to say he either vaporized himself and died, or he became a god and occupies another realm of existance, or any combination of circumstances in between.
    Are you saying that Orphiel ascended, and became an Ancient? Wonder if he met Oma...
    Quote Originally Posted by Walsingham View Post
    Yes, if you need to know, Vespera hit me with a big pointy spiky thing. It was immensely painful.

Quote Originally Posted by Naronas View Post
    Are you saying that Orphiel ascended, and became an Ancient? Wonder if he met Oma...
    He does kind of have something Daniel Jackson about him.

Quote Originally Posted by Naronas View Post
    Mm. Keep in mind something;

Who ever said Orphiel only created one Failsafe?
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

*Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

Telaran

Dosn't matter that much, as a failsafe kan never take you beyond it's existence. You can't go further back than it's creation, and never forward. Thats why it's a failsafe, a measure to "try again" incase first time was a failure.

Also I belive it has been mentioned that the failsafe was created years before it was turned on. It was merly found again along with the resurection forges. It would make sence that he isn't there, because he's not the one rediscovering the resurection forges, and having the suden urge to press the big red "do not press" button on the failsafe.

Though I fail to remember why I belive it was created years before, and not right before it's turned on. Prehaps someone else knows that?

//unbound

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Sirensis View Post
    Dosn't matter that much, as a failsafe kan never take you beyond it's existence. You can't go further back than it's creation, and never forward. Thats why it's a failsafe, a measure to "try again" incase first time was a failure.

Also I belive it has been mentioned that the failsafe was created years before it was turned on. It was merly found again along with the resurection forges. It would make sence that he isn't there, because he's not the one rediscovering the resurection forges, and having the suden urge to press the big red "do not press" button on the failsafe.

Though I fail to remember why I belive it was created years before, and not right before it's turned on. Prehaps someone else knows that?

//unbound
    No, Orphiel designed and built it - it says so in Terminus, and it's the reason it's referred to as being "Orphiel's Failsafe."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast