+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ascended, and Sources of Power

Soulwalker

Default Ascended, and Sources of Power

So, I've been playing the game for almost a month now, and I have always been interested in the Lore of MMOs. Rift seems to have an interesting story line, but as I try to get into the head and the past of one of my characters, I find myself with a question.

It seems to me that Ascended get their power and abilities from the souls they bond with. I know that there are mortal clerics, rogues, mages, and warriors in the world; however, as an Ascended, we are not one of them. We get our powers from three souls of ancient warriors that agree to lend us power. If this is the case, then the powers we show after Ascension probably have nothing, or little to do, with what powers we had as mortals.

The reason I mention this, is because I am working on my Dwarven Cleric's background. Right now I am playing with the idea that she was a medic on the battlefield when Aedraxis opened the death Rift and ruined his brother's forces. She had no magical healing powers, only skill with herbs and knowledge of mundane healing. However, after she ascended she bonded first with Diona's soul, and gained the power to shape water and heal with its flows.

Does this fit in with the lore, or am I wrong? Should she have been a Cleric before hand?

Any thoughts on the matter are appreciated,

Soffie

Quote Originally Posted by Soffie View Post
    So, I've been playing the game for almost a month now, and I have always been interested in the Lore of MMOs. Rift seems to have an interesting story line, but as I try to get into the head and the past of one of my characters, I find myself with a question.

It seems to me that Ascended get their power and abilities from the souls they bond with. I know that there are mortal clerics, rogues, mages, and warriors in the world; however, as an Ascended, we are not one of them. We get our powers from three souls of ancient warriors that agree to lend us power. If this is the case, then the powers we show after Ascension probably have nothing, or little to do, with what powers we had as mortals.

The reason I mention this, is because I am working on my Dwarven Cleric's background. Right now I am playing with the idea that she was a medic on the battlefield when Aedraxis opened the death Rift and ruined his brother's forces. She had no magical healing powers, only skill with herbs and knowledge of mundane healing. However, after she ascended she bonded first with Diona's soul, and gained the power to shape water and heal with its flows.

Does this fit in with the lore, or am I wrong? Should she have been a Cleric before hand?

Any thoughts on the matter are appreciated,

Soffie
    I think you have it right, at least as far as the game mechanics go. When a character is Ascended, they show up in the world without any powers, and only get some after choosing whose soul to take. So all of the powers come from the souls that are incorporated into your Ascended form.

Two concerns you have to consider: first, that there has to be a reason that you were Ascended as a certain class. In other words, you have to be able to show why your character is a Cleric as opposed to one of the other classes (which I think your story answers).

Second, and perhaps more importantly, there has to be a reason that you were Ascended at all. The key line in the opening Guardian cinematic is, "... Chosen not for their faith, but for their might." There has to be a reason the Vigil believed you were worthy of being brought back.

Fortunately, there seems to be a good deal of leeway in explaining that (at least Guardian-side), because the Vigil are deities whose exact powers are unknown; they might be able to see the potential for greatness in the lowly field medic (whereas Defiant-side, one has to assume that Sylver and his assistants can only judge based on what a person did in their life), and give her a chance to realize that greatness.

Maybe to rely on "Vigil magic" is to travel down the path of Mary Sue, but with all the ambiguity surrounding our creator deities, it's not lorebreaking.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by NeverKnowsBest View Post

Second, and perhaps more importantly, there has to be a reason that you were Ascended at all. The key line in the opening Guardian cinematic is, "... Chosen not for their faith, but for their might." There has to be a reason the Vigil believed you were worthy of being brought back.
    Thanks for the response. I'm writing a fan fic about my character, and I'm trying to stay true to the lore of the game. As for the reason she was Ascended, that's actually the core of the story. I've played a lot with the phrase "Chosen for your might," but my character doesn't understand why she was chosen - she doesn't feel that she has a lot of might. Of course... she is completely wrong, but who is she to know?

Soulwalker

I was under the impression Sylver and the defiants also evaluated souls based on capacity for holding souls and potential for growth. Its probably just as likely some lowly nobody who didnt amount to much in their mortal life was plucked from the soulstream for pure potential

Quote Originally Posted by Telynia View Post
    I was under the impression Sylver and the defiants also evaluated souls based on capacity for holding souls and potential for growth. Its probably just as likely some lowly nobody who didnt amount to much in their mortal life was plucked from the soulstream for pure potential
    I think the key people for this information are the guys in the back right corner of the room where Sylver is in the starting zone. As I recall, they were generally pulling out former Eth heroes (in particular from the Blood Storm Wars), which makes it seem like their analysis is more based on what a person did while living. I could be wrong on that though; at the VI terminal in that room they mention a soul needing to be "a 5.0 on the Farwind-Valis scale." That scale could measure any number of things, and I don't think it's mentioned elsewhere, so we have no further information than that on how souls are chosen.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by NeverKnowsBest View Post
    Two concerns you have to consider: first, that there has to be a reason that you were Ascended as a certain class. In other words, you have to be able to show why your character is a Cleric as opposed to one of the other classes (which I think your story answers)..
    I've been thinking about this line ever since I read it this morning, and I started thinking about when your class is actually chosen. In RL you chose your character's class at character creation, the same time you chose your characters gender, looks, race, etc. However, I was wondering, are you that class when you are first ascended, or does a character chose its class upon binding with its first soul? I'm not sure who the mage heroes are, but perhaps if she had talked to one of them first instead of Diona, she could have become a mage instead? Maybe a chloromancer or something like that.

Just something I've been reading. What do you guys think, are classes chosen at the time of Ascension, or at the time of their acquisition of their first soul?

Plane Touched

I was always under the assumption that your calling is what you were in life, and the souls that you can draw power from correspond to that. I've seen a couple RP stories where someone was something else in life and then for whatever reason they switched when Ascended, but in general I think most people play their lives as being a particular calling with maybe one particular focus similar to one of the souls.

Honestly though there's a lot of leeway. Your backstory can be pretty much whatever as long as it doesn't contradict lore, and the Vigil is never really specific about why they're Ascending people - many spend a long time trying to figure out what their purpose is.

The Calling is there at Ascension and the Class is acquired with the first soul.

This site has some great Lore info, but I'm afraid the author may not update it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Soffie View Post
    Just something I've been reading. What do you guys think, are classes chosen at the time of Ascension, or at the time of their acquisition of their first soul?
    In theory, the latter could be true, but there's no in-game support for that theory, which presents it this manner: before your character actually appears in the game, you decide what the character's calling is, and then you select your first soul in-game based on that calling.

Now, the reason that you select a calling before your character is created may be for any number of purposes apart from the lore (personally, I think it's just so that you come into the game with a particular set of clothing, rather than coming in naked and getting calling-appropriate clothing when you make your first soul choice), but we have to go with what the game provides us: you already have a calling when you arrive in the game as an Ascended.

Soulwalker

Well thanks for answering my questions guys, and especially thanks for the link to that lore site. I love it!

It really depends. I would think most Ascended would be great warriors, such as Cyril, Alsbeth, Borran, and Shyla. "My might is my virtue." The motto tends to lead me to think the Vigil rose the best fighters, empowered them with the skill to use two more souls, and empowered their previous skills.

Say, there's a Paladin that died in the Shade War. He was a good fighter, so the Vigil rose him as an Ascended. His Paladin abilities are increased, and he also achieved the ability to have two other souls fight with him. He has a void knight and warlord help. So they lend him their power. He's a Paladin with more power then usual, and also has the souls of fallen heroes aiding him in combat.

However, there are other Ascended that weren't incredible fighters that were risen for other reasons. Fayne Doran was risen to be a seeress and use Omen Sight, or something along those lines. I could easily see the Vigil raising a medic, empowering the medic with a soul, and sending them off to heal other heroes.

And I'm not even going to start on Defiants....

One of the developer videos says that you're initial choice is what you were in life. Now, if that doesn't sit right with you, saying you chose afterwards is not contradictory to the lore, your past life is up to you. However, I like to think that based on the fact that most NPC ascended were great heroes before ascension, or at least posessed of great talent, that the vigil and defiants choose based on your past deeds rather than your potential.

For instance, my Kelari was a riftblade in his former life. Now that he's revived he's still a skilled riftblade, as well as now being able to draw upon the souls of even greater heroes to be a beastmaster and champion.

+ Reply to Thread