+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rich Yummy Lore... Yrt Lack of its Representation In-Game = No Bueno

Default Rich Yummy Lore... Yrt Lack of its Representation In-Game = No Bueno

So I've played Rift since the ol boy kicked off in late February, and I have had some great times in game but as of late I have began to notice the lack of lore in game. Now I know the lore is sprinkled on during certain quests and various random events but comon... there are 6 friggin DRAGONS out there that want to eat our faces!

The game lacks voiceover for a majority of the game, and in today's times that is how the story is told. I know I'm supposed to bring solutions to the table and not just problems but after the first 6 levels in the starting zone the story is abandoned almost completely. For alot of players they don't need to know why they are doing something, they are perfectly content killing the same ol skeleton texture over and over... I need variety, engagement a reason to fight for the Defiants and Guardians!

Yes, yes I know the story is there but I had to work to find most of it. What good does it do to post a wall of text about a notable character on the website when you could have an in-game cinematic or quest line describe that person as well.

Most people may not understand my point here, in the end all I am simply asking is give us more lore in our day-2-day gaming.

"The Other MMO" Gives me fantastic lore and has a movie on the way. When I learned in the latest expansion that Thrall was going all old school Shaman and hittin the road on us I genuinely cared and wanted to know more so I was more engaged.

Trion again... you have 6 AWESOME Dragons in your lore, make them stand out more. Put them all up in our faces. Name drops aren't enough players need to see their enemy, and know there purpose. After all 90% of people that play MMO's never read a quest givers wall of text
    Last edited by Vyndeta; 06-15-2011 at 02:22 PM.

You want more voiceovers?! *shudder* >.>

They can't really give the dragons a bigger presence. They're all locked away, otherwise they'd've already won. This isn't WoW, where the main villain is content to show up every now and then to make snide remarks and let you live(Alsbeth doesn't count, she's a *****, who was taunting us to inflate her already tremendous ego). If the dragons showed up, they'd kill/enslave/extort/what-have-you everyone. They wouldn't play games. There's a reason all of the dragons will be raid bosses, they're the real deal. Which is awesome in my opinion. It makes them seem more menacing, knowing that, if they were freed, we'd be ****ed.
    Jolly fat people are living proof that it is not possible to "laugh your *** off", though we're trying...

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Skryth View Post
    You want more voiceovers?! *shudder* >.>

They can't really give the dragons a bigger presence. They're all locked away, otherwise they'd've already won. This isn't WoW, where the main villain is content to show up every now and then to make snide remarks and let you live(Alsbeth doesn't count, she's a *****, who was taunting us to inflate her already tremendous ego). If the dragons showed up, they'd kill/enslave/extort/what-have-you everyone. They wouldn't play games. There's a reason all of the dragons will be raid bosses, they're the real deal. Which is awesome in my opinion. It makes them seem more menacing, knowing that, if they were freed, we'd be ****ed.
    Pretty much this.

When you're doing Fall of Lantern Hook, and get to the end, Helena Brass doesn't run up and say "oh no, Maelforge is coming, let's all band together and fight him off!" No, she says "HOLY CHRIST MAELFORGE IS COMING! Everybody out of the pool, WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE."

If even one of the dragons gets free, we are all dead. Not "we can all unite and kill them with the power of friendship". Things are unequivocally FUBAR.

Quote Originally Posted by Terram View Post
    Pretty much this.

When you're doing Fall of Lantern Hook, and get to the end, Helena Brass doesn't run up and say "oh no, Maelforge is coming, let's all band together and fight him off!" No, she says "HOLY CHRIST MAELFORGE IS COMING! Everybody out of the pool, WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE."

If even one of the dragons gets free, we are all dead. Not "we can all unite and kill them with the power of friendship". Things are unequivocally FUBAR.
    I see the points made entriely and when put that way it does kind of sell the dragons. But the unfortunate part is I'd feel it safe to say that most players couldn't name them. They need to be mentioned more often imo. Maybe flashbacks of "Hey here's how Crucia ate everyone alive a million years ago" or what have you. Im just saying the games lore is not delivered to its fullest in game and I think the game would stand to benfit from it. Hell they dont even really do a good job at explaining Regulos is a dragon.

Me craves rich yummy lore... feed me
    Last edited by Vyndeta; 06-16-2011 at 01:33 PM.

*shrug* The insertion of notable characters in the zones has been enough for me so far. Kaspar, Kira, Uriel, Hylas, etc. keep popping up as you quest. (At least on Defiant, Guardians have their own set.)
    Last edited by Sebiale; 06-17-2011 at 01:27 PM.
    Akylios, the Profane: "is beyond understanding. The living interest him because the tortured howls of races sound almost like music. He does not seek victory over men any more than the ocean strives against the land. One day he will simply wash all mortals away just to hear them scream their silly symphony. He was mad even before he learned all fears and secrets. There are no words for what Akylios is now."

Laethys, Queen of Avarice: "The Gold Dragonís flesh flows like molten metal, and diamonds are her eyes. The riches of worlds will fall through her clutches, and she will never have enough while anyone else has anything at all. Laethys will feast atop a pile of famished wretches. All will adore her alone, and she will never give them quite enough."

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Sebiale View Post
    *shrug* The insertion of notable characters in the zones has been enough for me so far. Kaspar, Kira, Uriel, Hylas, etc. keep popping up as you quest. (At least on Defiant, Guardians have their own set.)
    I like this as well.

And the "Thrall" comparison is poor. Thrall's lore is trash - he got captured by a bunch of lv10 humans and you save him as a goblin? Did you forget to mention the part of how Blizz COMPLETELY omitted the death of Cairne into ANYTHING outside of reading wowpedia? That was a RACE LEADER WHO DIED, ALL OF THUNDER BLUFF GOT TAKEN OVER BY THE GRIMTOTEM, AND BAINE HAD TO FIGHT FOR IT BACK. Where was THAT in the quests? Do most players even NOTICE that now the achievements that used to involve Cairne now involve Baine? Come on.

But I do agree. For me, I think Orphiel is easily the coolest, most interesting and unique character in the game. We really need some more hints to his character. Finally, the fact that most players can't even name the 6 dragons.. I'm a lore buff and I am always forgetting 1-2 from time to time.

There really should be more lore, not the 'Oh it's Uriel again!'-type, but the 'Ohh, THIS is what happened 500 years ago, THAT is what happened 20 years ago, and THIS is why the Guardians killed my people before I entered the failsafe! Gotcha!"

Quote Originally Posted by Terram View Post
    Pretty much this.

I totally loled, but if I remember correctly, Helena actually tells you to get INTO the pool, not out.
    I have a photoshopic memory. I remember everything you say or do exactly the way I want to.

Plane Walker

No one must know...

The videos and the like are a little unrealistic. I know having bolvar's final request ignored on colossal scale in WOTLK wasn't just lore failure but how did we even see that sequence by touching the statue? FMV in game is alright but it's just game rendered stuffs anyway. Plus mary sue leader of the horde is bleh.

The lore in telara is locked away in books and other people's stories and while it may not be as immersive it's a damn sight more realistic that you learn about the world from books, and stories and artifacts you piece together. It's there if you want it, the dragons names appear all the time everywhere and people can't remember it because they aren't quest readers.

Cutscenes please. Everyone LOOOOVES cutscenes.

My favourite lore in this game is with Kira, Uriel and Mulia the Witch. I just finished it, and it tied in pretty well with the importance of the Bahmi faction. It discreetly showed the power of Regulos can corrupt the strength of the Guardians and the Defiants politically. (SPOILERS :3) If Kira killed Uriel, then the Bahmi wouldnt have left the Defiants and well... who knows?

Good lore is surprising lore. Thats the way I like it.

Also, MORE LAETHYS PLEASE D: I want to see her in the flesh. There are visuals of all the others (Not so much Crucia, but I hate her :3) but no Laethys (just a crappy description of what she looked like).

I wanna see some Blood Storm betrayal, though. I want ancient grudges come into play. ^.^

Quote Originally Posted by Ivandinia View Post
    Cutscenes please. Everyone LOOOOVES cutscenes.
    To a degree. WoW went a little too happy in places like Uldum. Save them for the really dramatic moments, I'd suggest.

I'd honestly like to see more interaction between the dragons; something that'll become somewhat more possible as we start killing their Avatars and kicking their spirits back to the other side of the Ward. Or visions/flashbacks/Slivers back to the first Bloodstorm, to see how the dragons interacted with each other back then.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

*Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

Rift Master

I want more cutscenes, I never get tired of the opening/closing cutscenes of the starting area.

Every dungeon should have one upon completion to wrap up the story, that'd be awesome.
    Last edited by Shadowclaimer; 07-11-2011 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowclaimer View Post
    I want more cutscenes, I never get tired of the opening/closing cutscenes of the starting area.

Every dungeon should have one upon completion to wrap up the story, that'd be awesome.
    Yeah like, Fall of Lantern Hook would be so much more epic if there were a cutscene showing Maelforge swooping in to burn everything down just after you defeat emberlord ereetu and that girl comes out of the basement going "WE'RE GONNA DIE!!!!"
    I have a photoshopic memory. I remember everything you say or do exactly the way I want to.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    Yeah like, Fall of Lantern Hook would be so much more epic if there were a cutscene showing Maelforge swooping in to burn everything down just after you defeat emberlord ereetu and that girl comes out of the basement going "WE'RE GONNA DIE!!!!"
    YES!

Especially that.

I just wanna see Faelord Twyl's end or what badass thing happens after beating Konstantin. He fought us to the death to guard that tomb, wtf was in it?

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowclaimer View Post
    YES!

Especially that.

I just wanna see Faelord Twyl's end or what badass thing happens after beating Konstantin. He fought us to the death to guard that tomb, wtf was in it?
    Umm you see what the door behind Konstantine holds in the Guardian Epic questline..

Its a Shade of Regulos...
    "Power is neccessary because conflict will never dissappear"

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by LordOberon View Post
    Umm you see what the door behind Konstantine holds in the Guardian Epic questline..

Its a Shade of Regulos...
    Well hey not like I can possibly know that without doing the quest. I open it everytime I beat Konstantin, yet I need an epic quest to know what I unleashed?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast