+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Planes

Default Planes

To quote riftgame.com:

"Plane Touched:
    Telara's proximity to a nexus of the planes shapes your adventures, your enemies, and even you. The rifts grant magical abilities to those bold enough to seize them, and rumors abound that some have crossed over to other planes and come back changed."

What sort of powers do you anticipate receiving from rifts? Will the planes someday be opened as expansions? Or will we be able to travel to them from the game release?

Food for thought :P

I know they said, when a rift appears, and empties out the mobs, you could gain some of their powers, or skills by absorbing them. They could be talking about this, or something entirely different. It sounds pretty neat, the chance to gain a power or skill, that your class would not normally have. So, long as it is not cause a balance issue.

Hard to say with the way that is worded. You do get rewarded for completing a rift encounter and there is the soul thing too. It was probably referring to both of those though there could be more, I dunno.

Perhaps it could be an alternate advancement that you can gain later on in the game. Chose a plane to devote yourself to and gain additional abilities.. Like life would allow healers to heal more, a warrior could choose earth for more defensive skills, a ranger could use air for better range, etc.
    Warp

I just hope they don't emphasize the planes too much. I'm sure there are all kinds of native Telaran monsters to kill too.
    <a href=http://www.trinityguild.org target=_blank>http://www.trinityguild.org/images/signatures/rift/sig_final.png</a>
    I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. I don’t know.
    Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don’t want to answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatrix View Post
    To quote riftgame.com:

"Plane Touched:
    Telara's proximity to a nexus of the planes shapes your adventures, your enemies, and even you. The rifts grant magical abilities to those bold enough to seize them, and rumors abound that some have crossed over to other planes and come back changed."
    The way I read that is:
    - After succesfully dealing with a rift you are given some sort of buff or ability, or it could be that during fighting a rift you are augmented with different abilities.
    - Additionally in certain situations players would be able to cross a plane, thinking this would probably be end content: high end grouping or raiding. since it wouldn't really be a rumor if it would happen right when you jump into the game.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

A temp buff/ability makes more sense to me.
    Can you image the trophy hunt that would pursue if the abilities were permanent? It'd be like collecting pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by Viashivan View Post
    A temp buff/ability makes more sense to me.
    Can you image the trophy hunt that would pursue if the abilities were permanent? It'd be like collecting pokemon.
    Yea and I wonder, would that be so bad? In current MMO's we spend loads of our times grinding levels doing quests, getting gear what if besides that we end up searching for rifts to give us vital portions of our powers. Would that really be so bad? It would be bad if the rifts would be truly random, but from what I read from articles defeating a dungeon could for example open up a rift. So you'd go to a dungeon first then race to the rift location, complete it succesfully and you got xp, gear, and a nice new ability.

It would end up with loads of ability tho, or very few basic abilities. Which in both situations can be a pain.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

Quote Originally Posted by Kalbuir View Post
    It would end up with loads of ability tho, or very few basic abilities. Which in both situations can be a pain.
    That's the part I was focusing more on.
    How many different total skilsl in game do there need to be before you start creating useless skills or skills you'll only use once or twice. For me this seems to be a wasted resource on the development side.
    I understand that one man's trash is another man's treasure and not everyone will have use for all the skills but think back over years of your MMO experience and count how many useless skills there were.

Again more of a reason to have temp buffs/abilities that are more meaningful when you close the rift (xp buff, summoned pet and so on).

In regards to stealing souls from mobs I wouldn't expect these to be as meaningful unless it's a boss (+5% hp buff for killing the wicked plant seedlings)

Quote Originally Posted by Viashivan View Post
    That's the part I was focusing more on.
    How many different total skilsl in game do there need to be before you start creating useless skills or skills you'll only use once or twice. For me this seems to be a wasted resource on the development side.
    I don't particularly have strong feelings either way about permanent v temporary abilities, but there is definitely such a thing as too many. One thing I hated about FE was the 5x12 action bar sitting in the middle of my screen. Their only saving grace was that apart from the buffs most of those abilities were useless compared to just shooting stuff in the head.

Quote Originally Posted by viashivan View Post
    a temp buff/ability makes more sense to me.
    gotta catch'em all!

Quote Originally Posted by WarpCode View Post
    Perhaps it could be an alternate advancement that you can gain later on in the game. Chose a plane to devote yourself to and gain additional abilities.. Like life would allow healers to heal more, a warrior could choose earth for more defensive skills, a ranger could use air for better range, etc.
    Interesting idea. I wonder if that would be easier if it were class specific, though... it wouldn't really make sense for a healer to devote themselves to the Plane of Death... it would be odd even if no one chose it, and it was just an option.

Temp buff sounds like a likely idea... but I could be completely off. No clue.

“They say you are to be the greatest hero in a past I’ll never know. Learn this, and it shall be so:
    Let the only fear you ever know be the fear you inspire in your foes.
    If you can do that in your heart, glory will follow you.”

Interesting idea. I wonder if that would be easier if it were class specific, though... it wouldn't really make sense for a healer to devote themselves to the Plane of Death... it would be odd even if no one chose it, and it was just an option.

Temp buff sounds like a likely idea... but I could be completely off. No clue.
    Based on the little bit we know, I too suspect that there are class-rift associations - especially for the mage schools.

But they still might be able to do something like this on the side and it could be how they plan to offer the flexibility we lost with the original multi-classing system.

Eg. maybe there are 6 different elemental sets of permanent abilities and players can collect them all, but at any given time can only be aligned to one of those elements.

Aligning to earth would probably give some good defence against physical damage - i.e. make you more tankly. Aligning to life might give you some heal spells and boost your existing heal spells if you're a healer. Aligning to fire could give you some fire spells and boost your existing fire spells if you're a mage. Etc. etc.

I can kind of understand why you say a healer aligning to death sounds odd, but I don't think it needs to be. Doctors are always killing things. When they disinfect a wound they kill off bacteria. To cure a disease they might kill a virus. They choose for one organism to live and for others to die.

In the same way a healer might make use of these hypothetical extra abilities from the death plane to help combat a dangerous life rift.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldran View Post
    ]I can kind of understand why you say a healer aligning to death sounds odd, but I don't think it needs to be. Doctors are always killing things. When they disinfect a wound they kill off bacteria. To cure a disease they might kill a virus. They choose for one organism to live and for others to die.

In the same way a healer might make use of these hypothetical extra abilities from the death plane to help combat a dangerous life rift.
    I see what you mean.

If this were put into Rift, it would make for excellent options as to stats; however, I remember reading in an article that the soul-gathering idea was to take the place of stats. Slightly confusing.

“They say you are to be the greatest hero in a past I’ll never know. Learn this, and it shall be so:
    Let the only fear you ever know be the fear you inspire in your foes.
    If you can do that in your heart, glory will follow you.”

I see what you mean.

If this were put into Rift, it would make for excellent options as to stats; however, I remember reading in an article that the soul-gathering idea was to take the place of stats. Slightly confusing.
    I envy you if you're only slightly confused! Not only do they tend to be vague, but some of the statements in various interviews and previews are contradictory.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast