+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Defiant Ascended numbers?

Default Defiant Ascended numbers?

Sorry if this has been discussed already somewhere else, but I'm not really clear on this.

How many Defiant Ascended are there?

The implication that the tutorial zone gives is that the player character is the only Ascended to make it through the time portal into the past. Both the epic battle to get you there AND the shock/awe/surprise when you arrive in the past would indicate that the player is the only Ascended to make it.

Now, certainly, you bring with you the instructions on how to create more Ascended...but does that mean that for in-character roleplaying purposes, you must always treat all Defiant Ascended as being younger than you in terms of creation date? The potential pitfalls of that sort of approach are many, and it is obviously not going to work when multiple players assert that they are in fact the one true original Defiant Ascended.

As far as I can tell from what I've played of the defiant side, the PC is 1 of exactly 1 defiant ascended created and sent back from Terminus and everyone else is supposed to be ascended in the past using the manual for artificial ascension you bring back with you. And like you said, this makes exactly no sense in an MMO. It's a great bit of lore for a single player RPG...

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    As far as I can tell from what I've played of the defiant side, the PC is 1 of exactly 1 defiant ascended created and sent back from Terminus and everyone else is supposed to be ascended in the past using the manual for artificial ascension you bring back with you. And like you said, this makes exactly no sense in an MMO. It's a great bit of lore for a single player RPG...
    Yeah, it's basically impossible to ever interact with any other player character without having to NEVER mention the concept of Ascension, on pain of conflicting back stories.

Well, in present, all defiant are either created using the formulas, or sent back in time via the Failsafe.
    Remember, the failsafe will span over an imense amount of timelines, as long as it isn't destroyed in a timeline, someone can be sent back to the time it was created (or the time it was set to return them to, U know what I'm sayin')
    Define skill: Skill is to know what, when, how, and what the f to do about it.
    "It's nice to be important, but it's important to be nice"

Telaran

The whole defiant ascended thing is easy for me to explain. I was drunk through my first 15 levels. I don't remember much from the starting out zone, so when people ask me about my backround when I ascended. I just Say I woke up with a sword in my hand and some coin in my pocket at the bar in Meridian.

Quote Originally Posted by MacrosTheBlack View Post
    The whole defiant ascended thing is easy for me to explain. I was drunk through my first 15 levels. I don't remember much from the starting out zone, so when people ask me about my backround when I ascended. I just Say I woke up with a sword in my hand and some coin in my pocket at the bar in Meridian.
    This=Win
    Mind=Blown
    Define skill: Skill is to know what, when, how, and what the f to do about it.
    "It's nice to be important, but it's important to be nice"

Well, Brother Damon is an ascended, I believe. So we need to take into account traitors and all that.

I think there was only one Ascended sent back with the formulas, so only one survivor. Sylver probably made more in Terminus, just to fight the Endless Court while THE Ascended made his/her way to the time machine.

But Kira is an ascended, and there are lots of others in the Defiant. Not sure how many, but I can't see why Sylver would stop making them.

Shadowlander

How many Ascended make it back depends on how many are with you at the time machine once it's activated. My main came back with about seven others.

But for lore all I can say is: There was at least one ascended who made it back, but the mass of them was created with the blueprints the first ones brought with them.

For the background of my rp-char I just have him state he was created after the blueprints got brought from the future.

Rift Master

Well, we can also say there are many alternate timelines. (as evidenced by lantern hook, and quantum slivers)
    Every player is an alternate future timeline, that all go back to the same single point in time, and single timeline, where the failsafe was turned on.
    This would have then many ascended each from different timelines all pouring out of the machine the moment it was turned on. Which did kindof happen when Rift went live.
    NPC dialogue didn't quite mesh with many coming through. it does infer you are the first. And doesn't really mention there might be a line of ascended behind you.

It would be amusing if those first few npcs had their dialogue changed now to suggest to any new players that they are a bit late, and were expected weeks ago.

Have the greeting npcs say, "wow, more ascended!"
    The npcs you give the plans to, " Thank you Ascended. but we already received the plans for creating more. There must have been a problem with the calibration in your time lines time machine. You should have arrived 2 months ago, with the majority of the other alternate time line Ascended."

We don't know.
    It's as simple as that.
    Akylios, the Profane: "is beyond understanding. The living interest him because the tortured howls of races sound almost like music. He does not seek victory over men any more than the ocean strives against the land. One day he will simply wash all mortals away just to hear them scream their silly symphony. He was mad even before he learned all fears and secrets. There are no words for what Akylios is now."

Laethys, Queen of Avarice: "The Gold Dragonís flesh flows like molten metal, and diamonds are her eyes. The riches of worlds will fall through her clutches, and she will never have enough while anyone else has anything at all. Laethys will feast atop a pile of famished wretches. All will adore her alone, and she will never give them quite enough."

Mm. How many Guardians were Ascended? As far as I know, every single Ascended Guardian was reborn during the battle against Aedraxis 20 years ago; and no one has been Ascended since. And unless every person who died in the first battle was Ascended to fight the second, that means their numbers are fairly limited.

On the other hand, while it's likely that fairly few Defiant Ascended came back from Terminus (though more than one, since you do see more being reborn as you go through the intro section), the Defiants have the ability to create as many new Ascended as they have the Sourcestone for. They've also shown a great willingness to grab from pretty much any point in history to find strong souls - Kira died over a thousand years ago, for example.

This would seem to give the Defiants a huge advantage over the Guardians, unless the Vigil starts to Ascend more of them soon.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

*Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

Except that resurrecting someone isn't exactly a walk in the park. If Orphiel's method of body creation is still being used, that means a lot of sourcestone and having an actual physical fragment of the person (where they found a physical fragment of Kira is something I wanna know...)
    Akylios, the Profane: "is beyond understanding. The living interest him because the tortured howls of races sound almost like music. He does not seek victory over men any more than the ocean strives against the land. One day he will simply wash all mortals away just to hear them scream their silly symphony. He was mad even before he learned all fears and secrets. There are no words for what Akylios is now."

Laethys, Queen of Avarice: "The Gold Dragonís flesh flows like molten metal, and diamonds are her eyes. The riches of worlds will fall through her clutches, and she will never have enough while anyone else has anything at all. Laethys will feast atop a pile of famished wretches. All will adore her alone, and she will never give them quite enough."

Quote Originally Posted by Sebiale View Post
    Except that resurrecting someone isn't exactly a walk in the park. If Orphiel's method of body creation is still being used, that means a lot of sourcestone and having an actual physical fragment of the person (where they found a physical fragment of Kira is something I wanna know...)
    You don't need a fragment of the person. Just a bone period. It can be anybody's bone. This is pointed out in one of the holograms in Terminus;

"1)Never use a skull, pelvis, or any other large bone to begin the regeneration process. Instead, choose a small bone, so that if there is a slight mismatch with the subject's original skeleton it does not end up a fatal problem. For example, a phalanx from the hand is ideal, for a finger of a slightly shorter or longer length will not cause the subject many problems on return."

In other words, it can be a bone from anyone, but that bone itself is still used in the final product. So if you use the pelvis of a Bahmi to revive a Kelari, he'll wind up with a huge pelvic bone and an otherwise normal skeleton. Which can cause potentially fatal issues.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

Edit: Nvm, seems you're right. I remember a story that had a graverobber going to Mathosia for a bone fragment from Asha, but looking at it again it seems I either mis-remembered or it was altered.
    Still, the man does mention a "king's ransom" of sourcestone. Can't be cheap. I think the Vigil did their Ascensions for free :P
    Last edited by Sebiale; 06-19-2011 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebiale View Post
    Edit: Nvm, seems you're right. I remember a story that had a graverobber going to Mathosia for a bone fragment from Asha, but looking at it again it seems I either mis-remembered or it was altered.
    Still, the man does mention a "king's ransom" of sourcestone. Can't be cheap. I think the Vigil did their Ascensions for free :P
    Aye, that's how it goes. Guardians get free miracles, but at the whim of their gods. Defiants get miracles on demand, but they have to pay for them.

+ Reply to Thread