+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Perhaps a new race to the Defiants?

Default Perhaps a new race to the Defiants?

The Defiants are the Technomagically advanced race, right? Maybe in the future some sort of race that revolves around the idea, like humanoid Robots animated with magic. Who knows, maybe a good piece of lore could revolve around the Defiants making robots.

(They don't have to be shaped like humans ofc, there is a lot of creativity with holes left to be filled with this idea)

Ooh that would be fun and interesting to play I think! It's a good idea and I don't think I've played any mmo's that lets you play as a robot. It might be hard tho to keep it from going to sci fi with armors and such, but they could always do something like Shale from Dragon Age where armor is really just gems or magical pieces you stick on that upgrade your technomagic system.

All that said, the cynic in me wants to ask if we really need sexbots in chainmail bikinis :S
    Last edited by Zaewen; 01-06-2011 at 11:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaewen View Post
    Ooh that would be fun and interesting to play I think! It's a good idea and I don't think I've played any mmo's that lets you play as a robot. It might be hard tho to keep it from going to sci fi with armors and such, but they could always do something like Shale from Dragon Age where armor is really just gems or magical pieces you stick on that upgrade your technomagic system.

All that said, the cynic in me wants to ask if we really need sexbots in chainmail bikinis :S
    Well, the idea struck me after seeing that RIFT Trailer showcasing the robotic horses.

Sounds like a good idea, I'm sure something could be made of this idea. But I don't understand how they would work? I personally couldn't see a robot casting magic just doesn't fit right in my head, but then again a story could be made to explain how they can.
    BJORN FOR THE WIN!

Well, if the Defiant made them they'd use sourcestone as their power source and would be thus techomagic, so they'd probably shoot laser beams of magic I could see them really easily as bits of metal and gears being held up by links of magic (in the same manner that stone golems from eq2 were pieces of rock that were held together my some force). OOh that could make them a possible from of shape changer

Such a great idea, I hope the dev's think about it JazzCard. If not as a race, but just as some pet/weapon/servant the defiant have it'd be a cool thing to see in game.

Plane Touched

I had this idea as well and it certainly does fit in the Defiant lore as I said in the other thread:

There's this one Defiant researcher that you talk to in Meridian that is currently trying to find out a way to create their own Ascendants from scratch - creating life from nothing basically.
    Once this researched finishes up with his research Trion could then allow us to become Artificially Ascended Constructs - which fits perfectly in the Defiant lore.

It'd give us a completely unique race that would still be able to share the same animations we have for the current races and thus reduce the workload for the devs while giving us something different.
    For the Defiants to create a new form of Ascendeds in the form of sourcestone-powered, or maybe even soul-powered, robots would be pretty awesome.

RIFT Fan Site Operator EntreNous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shanadeus View Post
    For the Defiants to create a new form of Ascendeds in the form of sourcestone-powered, or maybe even soul-powered, robots would be pretty awesome.
    I think the "Servant Construct" should be added as a pet. As far as a whole other race is concearned, I'm still mulling it over. Currently leaning to the ... Upper End Dynamic content needs to be witnessed first ... argument.
    RiftRares ... A work in progress.
    Rogue on FaeBlight
    8/8 RR's ... 4/4 DH ... 4/4 GP ... 5/5 GsB ... 5/5 RoS ... 2/4 RotP ... 10/11 HK

Would be awesome with like a skill or proffesion, like engineering, that would let you build robot companion or allies!

Plane Touched

I'm thinking that pets might be differentiated in this way.
    On Defiant side you can chose between the current pet model/skin or chose a construct variant one while you on the Guardian side can chose between the current pet model/skin or chose some "angelic" variant.

Just a thought.

Yeah we can't have the Defiant getting one up on us pet wise. I vote for my own angel, that would do nicely .

Allods Online has a playable race that is kind of an undead robot thingamabob (arisen they are called), and it works great as far as design goes, both for the race itself and how armor and such works. It's one of the cooler races in an mmo, ever. That the game itself is a horrible f2p cash-shop ruined mess is a whole other story, but some of the art is just spot on.

Some pictures of them:
    http://media.photobucket.com/image/a...n-HereticM.jpg
    http://www.allods-online.pl/images/a..._Occultist.jpg

Plane Touched

CYBORGS! Like universal soldier dolph lundgren! :P

Quote Originally Posted by teammate14 View Post
    Would be awesome with like a skill or proffesion, like engineering, that would let you build robot companion or allies!
    I was a little surprised that in the most recent beta that there wasn't an engineering profession variant.

IMO you should be able to make machines and gadgets as a prof as a Defiant, and make tabernacles and holy objects as a Guardian.

That would make sense right? Two faction-thematic professions?

Quote Originally Posted by Scarecroww View Post
    Allods Online has a playable race that is kind of an undead robot thingamabob (arisen they are called), and it works great as far as design goes, both for the race itself and how armor and such works. It's one of the cooler races in an mmo, ever. That the game itself is a horrible f2p cash-shop ruined mess is a whole other story, but some of the art is just spot on.

Some pictures of them:
    http://media.photobucket.com/image/a...n-HereticM.jpg
    http://www.allods-online.pl/images/a..._Occultist.jpg
    Arisen were pretty much Forsaken clones, but at least they were done in a classy way, and honestly one of my very favorite designs from Allods. If only Allods were P2P and not Pay 2 Win! I would have happily shelled out a monthly fee to play it, I had a level 25 Xadaganian melee healer, but then the 'Infamous' patch hit, and I started getting cursed items in my drops and having to A) buy items to decurse my drops and B) buy items to make it so I could kill mobs my level really killed the game for me. Hence I no longer play Allods... too bad, that game had a great flavor to it!

Ascendant

You mean like the Warforged in DDO?
    "Power is neccessary because conflict will never dissappear"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast