+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Plane of Light?

Default The Plane of Light?

I was wonder, does this plane exist? I just rolled an alt (on guardian side) and noticed something I hadn't before while doing the elemental opposites quest in the arcane college. When you turn the Earth elemental into its opposite, it becomes a light elemental (looks just like a wisp).

Is this an indication that there is an elemental plane that has yet to show itself? Can the plane of light perhaps be the Vigil itself? It would make sense, as everything the Vigil provides is very reminiscent of holy light.

Also would like to note that the Dwarf next to other other leaders in Sanctum (forgot his name) has a light glow around him. Could this be a "light touched" similar to that of the elemental planes "touches"?

I'm not 100% sure, but i think the wisp is actually a life creature - meaning the black golem is a death creature.
    I'm not sure if and how a light plane would work. Up to now we had pretty much opposing planes: fire-water, life-death and earth-air. Following this logic, a light plane would need a plane of darkness. But wouldn't that be too similar to death? (Just speculating here)

Regarding Borrin's glow - i have no idea.
    As it stands now, our characters are more replaceable than our gear...
    My character is not a coat hanger!

Maybe the teleran sun is the Plane of Light?

Quote Originally Posted by Rakanishu View Post
    I'm not 100% sure, but i think the wisp is actually a life creature - meaning the black golem is a death creature.
    I'm not sure if and how a light plane would work. Up to now we had pretty much opposing planes: fire-water, life-death and earth-air. Following this logic, a light plane would need a plane of darkness. But wouldn't that be too similar to death? (Just speculating here)

Regarding Borrin's glow - i have no idea.
    Are you sure it said a life elemental? I was pretty sure it said light. o.O

Also why would a bright golden wisp be a life elemental? Still pretty sure it said light. Now I'm going to have to make another alt just to see again haha.
    Last edited by Meriak; 06-08-2011 at 10:01 AM.

I think you have very tenuous evidence for the case you're making, and with no other indication of such a plane, I'm inclined to dismiss the idea. Unless you've noticed anything particularly substantial in-game to support your hypothesis...
    Last edited by Sebiale; 06-08-2011 at 07:01 PM.
    Akylios, the Profane: "is beyond understanding. The living interest him because the tortured howls of races sound almost like music. He does not seek victory over men any more than the ocean strives against the land. One day he will simply wash all mortals away just to hear them scream their silly symphony. He was mad even before he learned all fears and secrets. There are no words for what Akylios is now."

Laethys, Queen of Avarice: "The Gold Dragon’s flesh flows like molten metal, and diamonds are her eyes. The riches of worlds will fall through her clutches, and she will never have enough while anyone else has anything at all. Laethys will feast atop a pile of famished wretches. All will adore her alone, and she will never give them quite enough."

Quote Originally Posted by Sebiale View Post
    I think you have very tenuous evidence for the case you're making, and with no other indication of such a plane, I'm inclined to dismiss the idea. Unless you've noticed anything particularly substantial in-game to support your hypothesis...
    I don't see how the evidence is "very tenuous" as there are a numerous amount of in-game objects and events that could possibly indicate some kind of Plane of Light. Aside from the ones I already listed, there is the Vigil's blessing that appear a number of times as a bright glow above the head, there is the time where the Ascended steps into a light to defeat a large number of enemy forces in the Guardian starter, and there lies the fact the due to the ward (something created by the Vigil in intentions to block out planar invaders) the Vigil has become blocked itself, thus indicating that the Vigil could possibly be planar beings themselves.

Also like to note that all of the dragons are gods themselves, only manifesting in a mortal form, but they each have their own planar realm that they adhere to. Why should the Vigil be excluded from this same trend? I think it is actually more than possible that the Vigil are planar gods just like the others, and reside themselves into a single plane (the Plane of Light or something similar).

Really though, this was all just an interesting thought that came to mind. It was really more of a fun theory craft/hypothesis, not so much a strong argument that the Vigil are in fact from a plane. Though, it is clear that the Vigil is not omnipotent as their powers are limited (like the other planar gods as well).

I'm also just hoping that there is another plane and that the Vigil are the gods that manifest in it. So much is unknown about the Vigil and I would love to know a bit more about them. (Why must Trion keep them so secretive? )
    Last edited by Meriak; 06-09-2011 at 12:33 AM.

Because if they tell you everything, you have nothing to speculate on and there goes all the fun. It is why a good book never tells you the plot in the first 3 pages.

A plane of light would mean another dragon, so not as yet. I also think the concept of light and dark might not be the best for future dragons, but you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Meriak View Post
    Are you sure it said a life elemental? I was pretty sure it said light. o.O

Also why would a bright golden wisp be a life elemental? Still pretty sure it said light. Now I'm going to have to make another alt just to see again haha.
    Don't get me wrong. It might have been called light elemental. I can't really remember (despite doing that quest 6-7 times now)... The thing i'm saying is that most wisps are life creatures. Not all - often they appear defending fire footholds too.
    As it stands now, our characters are more replaceable than our gear...
    My character is not a coat hanger!

I don't see how the evidence is "very tenuous" as there are a numerous amount of in-game objects and events that could possibly indicate some kind of Plane of Light. Aside from the ones I already listed, there is the Vigil's blessing that appear a number of times as a bright glow above the head, there is the time where the Ascended steps into a light to defeat a large number of enemy forces in the Guardian starter,
    My mage glows when I cast certain effects on him or others, that doesn't mean he has to have a connection to the Plane of Glowing Things. Correlation is not causation. The emission of energy tends to create heat and light, so I don't find it all that surprisingly that a giant pillar of light is used to represent a major explosion of power in the starting zone.
    As for the light elemental in the Silverwood college, I'm inclined to think that's a holdover from beta or something similar that they just haven't fixed yet. This is basically your only good evidence but since there's nothing else in-game to support it, it seems far more likely that it's a design error rather than some sort of hint.

and there lies the fact the due to the ward (something created by the Vigil in intentions to block out planar invaders) the Vigil has become blocked itself, thus indicating that the Vigil could possibly be planar beings themselves.
    Yes, the Ward blocks the Vigil's influence as well...how does that support your hypothesis of a Plane of Light?

Also like to note that all of the dragons are gods themselves, only manifesting in a mortal form, but they each have their own planar realm that they adhere to. Why should the Vigil be excluded from this same trend? I think it is actually more than possible that the Vigil are planar gods just like the others, and reside themselves into a single plane (the Plane of Light or something similar).
    The idea that the Vigil have their own planar residence based on the evidence that they're blocked by the Ward is a much better theory. But that's still no real basis for a "Plane of Light." None of the Vigil have a strong association with light in their profiles.
    Akylios, the Profane: "is beyond understanding. The living interest him because the tortured howls of races sound almost like music. He does not seek victory over men any more than the ocean strives against the land. One day he will simply wash all mortals away just to hear them scream their silly symphony. He was mad even before he learned all fears and secrets. There are no words for what Akylios is now."

Laethys, Queen of Avarice: "The Gold Dragon’s flesh flows like molten metal, and diamonds are her eyes. The riches of worlds will fall through her clutches, and she will never have enough while anyone else has anything at all. Laethys will feast atop a pile of famished wretches. All will adore her alone, and she will never give them quite enough."

Adventure in the world of Telara as either a noble Guardian or technomagical Defiant and enter a dynamic fantasy where 8 primal forces battle for control in an ever-changing landscape. Build your own class using the Ascended Soul system and embark on epic conflicts that bring you into the story, taking your RPG experience to new heights of achievement and excitement!
    8. Ok this could be the 6 planes and the 2 factions, or it could be worded to imply but not necessarily be.

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    You obviously know nothing about Laethys, have you tried him?
    I don't log in anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Anuhart View Post
    8. Ok this could be the 6 planes and the 2 factions, or it could be worded to imply but not necessarily be.
    Good find. I don't think Guardians and Defiant would be included in that 8 as they already state them prior to mentioning "8 primal forces." To me it does sound like we *might* have two planes yet to be revealed. Probably for future expansions I'm betting.
    Last edited by Meriak; 06-09-2011 at 01:03 PM.

Good find. I don't think Guardians and Defiant would be included in that 8 as they already state them prior to mentioning "8 primal forces." To me it does sound like we *might* have two planes yet to be revealed. Probably for future expansions I'm betting.
    Hmmm,

Further down the page they say
    8 Primal Forces: Creatures from the Air, Earth, Fire, Water, Life, and Death planes battle for control of the world of Telara! Two warring factions—the Guardians and the Defiant—face off against each other and fight extra-planar creatures as they seek to save the world.
    this time the factions come after, but again the way it is written leaves the imagination open.

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    You obviously know nothing about Laethys, have you tried him?
    I don't log in anymore.

"By studying the rifts, Telaran scholars have so far identified six planes that interact with Telara through cracks in the Ward, each representing a primal element of the universe: Life, Death, Fire, Water, Air, and Earth. There are many theories about the true nature of these discoveries, and there is much yet to be learned."

-http://www.riftgame.com/en/world/planes/

And I deffinately recall the elemental you transform being a Darkness elemental that takes the form of a tiny shadow, wich is then turned into a light elemental wich takes the form of a glowing orb. If the planes represent the primal forces of the universe, light and dark would also need to have a plane. And it's speculated there's planes inside of planes.

Also, have to dispute the previous comment that moar planes = moar dragons. The planes the dragons hold dominion over became their prisons after they were deafeated by the Ancient Telarans. They do not represent the leaders of those planes until they corrupt their once peaceful denizens. Hence benevolent Fae that can be summoned by druids. These are Fae that have not been corrupted by greenscale. Greenscale is not the leader of the life plane, he is it's prisoner turned tyrant, etc. The reason we haven't seen light and dark invasions is because no member of the bloodstorm has been imprisoned there, and therefor the planes have not been corrupted. It's possible the vigil inhabit another plane, possibly light. But it's also possible they inhabit the same planes as the dragons, isolated from the other members. If benevolent fae, earth elemtals, water elementals, air elementals, and fire elementals can resist the corruption, perhaps it was because the vigil protects them? I dunno, that much is my own speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post

Also, have to dispute the previous comment that moar planes = moar dragons. The planes the dragons hold dominion over became their prisons after they were deafeated by the Ancient Telarans. They do not represent the leaders of those planes until they corrupt their once peaceful denizens. Hence benevolent Fae that can be summoned by druids. These are Fae that have not been corrupted by greenscale. Greenscale is not the leader of the life plane, he is it's prisoner turned tyrant, etc. The reason we haven't seen light and dark invasions is because no member of the bloodstorm has been imprisoned there, and therefor the planes have not been corrupted. It's possible the vigil inhabit another plane, possibly light. But it's also possible they inhabit the same planes as the dragons, isolated from the other members. If benevolent fae, earth elemtals, water elementals, air elementals, and fire elementals can resist the corruption, perhaps it was because the vigil protects them? I dunno, that much is my own speculation.
    Telara is the Vigils land. They created it and its habitants, and are the "local gods" in the old intro
    Define skill: Skill is to know what, when, how, and what the f to do about it.
    "It's nice to be important, but it's important to be nice"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast