+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: So if it`s so easy to corrupt/raise people... why hasn`t Regulos won?

  1. #1
    Prophet of Telara Raynald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,136

    Default So if it`s so easy to corrupt/raise people... why hasn`t Regulos won?

    This is an honest question here, but throughout the game we see many instances of Alsbeth/Regulos picking up new allies from enemies - Primarily Life, as noted in xRD`s Atrophinius (alongside the 4 bosses you have to fight for the epic quest in there) but also seen in other places like xIT, where Eliam and the three kings pretty much fall over into corruption with a snap of Alsbeth`s fingers.

    Also, as they control the plane of death and have been known to pick their way through the lifestream, and have zombies, liches et al, why haven`t they just raised everything they can get their hands on and call it a day? With the number of cultists from other cults falling over, alongside regular, non-ascended people throughout the world, you would think that Regulos would have the biggest army...

  2. #2
    Plane Walker Xerokine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raynald View Post
    This is an honest question here, but throughout the game we see many instances of Alsbeth/Regulos picking up new allies from enemies - Primarily Life, as noted in xRD`s Atrophinius (alongside the 4 bosses you have to fight for the epic quest in there) but also seen in other places like xIT, where Eliam and the three kings pretty much fall over into corruption with a snap of Alsbeth`s fingers.
    Except Eliam doesn't. Alsbeth tries as hard as she can, but Eliam basically gives her the finger and tells her where to stick it. The really powerful spirits that Regulos wants to corrupt are also the ones strong enough to resist his corruption.

    Also, as they control the plane of death and have been known to pick their way through the lifestream, and have zombies, liches et al, why haven`t they just raised everything they can get their hands on and call it a day? With the number of cultists from other cults falling over, alongside regular, non-ascended people throughout the world, you would think that Regulos would have the biggest army...
    Because that's bitten Regulos in the behind before. Remember Asha? She died, and Regulos snagged her up to use in his undead army. He granted her power, but she laughed in his face and took that power with her when Orphiel brought her back to life. Now she's one of Regulos' most dangerous enemies.

    There's no way he's going to try that again. It's the same as above; anyone powerful enough to make a really tempting target is also someone who can oppose Regulos, resist him, and become an even bigger threat. Also remember that by this point, both the Vigil and Sylver have had their pick of the Soulstream, and have already Ascended the choicest souls to their cause.

    Basically, all Regulos really can do at this point is what he's been doing; raise as many mindless zombies and work to slowly corrupt stronger souls. Because if he gets too greedy or too hasty, that's when it backfires big-time on him - just like it has in the past.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

    *Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

  3. #3
    Prophet of Telara Skryth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,018

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xerokine View Post
    Except Eliam doesn't. Alsbeth tries as hard as she can, but Eliam basically gives her the finger and tells her where to stick it. The really powerful spirits that Regulos wants to corrupt are also the ones strong enough to resist his corruption.
    Um...yes, he does. Right after the fight with Ragnoth in xIT. He opens up Neddra's Tomb for Alsbeth so she can gather a piece of Regulos's shattered body.
    Jolly fat people are living proof that it is not possible to "laugh your *** off", though we're trying...

  4. #4
    Rift Chaser Brell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skryth View Post
    Um...yes, he does. Right after the fight with Ragnoth in xIT. He opens up Neddra's Tomb for Alsbeth so she can gather a piece of Regulos's shattered body.
    Yea, but what I think the other poster means is that Eliam was normally able to resist her corruption. Only after he used all his power to protect you was he able to be overcome by Alsbeth.

  5. #5
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,724

    Default

    Alsbeth does manage to bag Eliam... eventually (you only see it in Expert Iron Tomb though). Apparantly Eliam had exhausted himself helping you fight Ragnoth and Alsbeth attacks him before he can recover.

    So she does manage to overpower him - but has to use a pretty dirty trick to do it. Eliam at his full strength was easily able to resist her.
    Last edited by Kedon; 06-07-2011 at 04:50 AM.

  6. #6
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,471

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xerokine View Post
    Because that's bitten Regulos in the behind before. Remember Asha? She died, and Regulos snagged her up to use in his undead army. He granted her power, but she laughed in his face and took that power with her when Orphiel brought her back to life. Now she's one of Regulos' most dangerous enemies.
    Or is she.. Basically think back to the defiant alternate timeline.. We already know parallel realities exist as seen by omen sight etc..

    Asha could have feigned the whole against Regulos thing and just bided her time.. She allows the future defiants to send away any warriors capable of resisting Regulos into an alternate timeline/reality and in the process of sending them back basically render the defiant base defenseless (as in removing their defenses due to the power requirements)..

    Who knows her little flop at the end of the defiant tutorial could be all an act as she gets up later & goes the Regulos's victory celebration... (BTW why doesn't she appear with a shadetouched buff ingame)
    "Power is neccessary because conflict will never dissappear"

  7. #7
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Yeah, you have to go through the experts to see the full lore behind each of the dungeons. The normal versions only delve into a little bit of it.

    That being said, I do think it's a case of stronger-willed souls being able to resist. Eliam, while apparently strong, is weakened after protecting you from the Ragnoth fight, which allows Alsbeth to corrupt him. Otherwise she would have had no need and you wouldn't see the little dialog between the two when you first enter. It's also why she thanks you after the fight.

  8. #8
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LordOberon View Post
    Or is she.. Basically think back to the defiant alternate timeline.. We already know parallel realities exist as seen by omen sight etc..

    Asha could have feigned the whole against Regulos thing and just bided her time.. She allows the future defiants to send away any warriors capable of resisting Regulos into an alternate timeline/reality and in the process of sending them back basically render the defiant base defenseless (as in removing their defenses due to the power requirements)..

    Who knows her little flop at the end of the defiant tutorial could be all an act as she gets up later & goes the Regulos's victory celebration... (BTW why doesn't she appear with a shadetouched buff ingame)
    As amusing as this conspiracy theory is, it also makes no sense. The Terminus timeline was already doomed - having the scant few Ascended they were able to make at that time was in no way going to allow them to hold out. The Guardians, with all of their Ascended, were unable to stop the coming tide. The freshly-made machine-born are not going to be able to do much that those Guardians couldn't.

    The Defiants are sent back for two main reasons. One, to send warning about what happens in the Terminus timeline. The Ward is going to fall, Meridian is going to be attacked and destroyed, and the Defiants are going to go into hiding. The second reason is to deliver the information on how to make more Ascended by giving the lifeform formulas to the Defiants. Thus they don't have to keep relying on the future to send more Ascended and they can revive their own in the present, bolstering their forces even more.

    Those two things are incredibly detrimental to Regulos and the events of the Terminus timeline. With Ascended, the Defiants actually have a chance to fight back and change things. With the formulas, they can make more, matching the Guardians in strength. You'd want to repeat the events of the Terminus timeline if you wanted Regulos to win, not go back and try to change them.

  9. #9
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,471

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lumenadducere View Post
    As amusing as this conspiracy theory is, it also makes no sense. The Terminus timeline was already doomed - having the scant few Ascended they were able to make at that time was in no way going to allow them to hold out. The Guardians, with all of their Ascended, were unable to stop the coming tide. The freshly-made machine-born are not going to be able to do much that those Guardians couldn't.

    The Defiants are sent back for two main reasons. One, to send warning about what happens in the Terminus timeline. The Ward is going to fall, Meridian is going to be attacked and destroyed, and the Defiants are going to go into hiding. The second reason is to deliver the information on how to make more Ascended by giving the lifeform formulas to the Defiants. Thus they don't have to keep relying on the future to send more Ascended and they can revive their own in the present, bolstering their forces even more.

    Those two things are incredibly detrimental to Regulos and the events of the Terminus timeline. With Ascended, the Defiants actually have a chance to fight back and change things. With the formulas, they can make more, matching the Guardians in strength. You'd want to repeat the events of the Terminus timeline if you wanted Regulos to win, not go back and try to change them.
    Your assuming that timeline ceases to exist.. If that alternate timeline doesn't cease to exist then why would Regulos care about the other timelines at all.. He controls that one.. he wouldn't necessarily care that it might hamper other incarnations of himself in another reality

    The same can be said of the Guardians.. We all know in the Mathosia timeline that Orphiel was a rotten to the core psychopath who wants to steal the power of the gods & was aided by minions of the death plane.. But when the ascended of the Vigil were brought forward in time did they go to the same timeline or an alternate reality.. (note with omen sight you can still see the mad scientist Orphiel messing with fate by performing experiments on Poor Tom in Sanctum).. Who knows.. Maybe Orphield wasn't as evil as he was in the other timeline (but obviously just as gullible or corrupt because he aided Aedraxis)
    "Power is neccessary because conflict will never dissappear"

  10. #10
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LordOberon View Post
    Your assuming that timeline ceases to exist.. If that alternate timeline doesn't cease to exist then why would Regulos care about the other timelines at all.. He controls that one.. he wouldn't necessarily care that it might hamper other incarnations of himself in another reality

    The same can be said of the Guardians.. We all know in the Mathosia timeline that Orphiel was a rotten to the core psychopath who wants to steal the power of the gods & was aided by minions of the death plane.. But when the ascended of the Vigil were brought forward in time did they go to the same timeline or an alternate reality.. (note with omen sight you can still see the mad scientist Orphiel messing with fate by performing experiments on Poor Tom in Sanctum).. Who knows.. Maybe Orphield wasn't as evil as he was in the other timeline (but obviously just as gullible or corrupt because he aided Aedraxis)
    Anything involving the time travel right now is an assumption. We don't know that the Terminus timeline doesn't cease to exist just as much as we don't know if it does. Same thing with the Guardians. We also don't know if the deities have access to all of the timelines or if they're bound to a single one. Are there multiple Reguloses or just the one that's able to interact with multiple timelines? What about the Vigil?

    Regardless of that, though, Asha secretly working for Regulos in Terminus is still silly. As I said, the timeline was doomed regardless of whether or not the Ascended stayed behind. They would at best have held out for a few more weeks. It would have been far more prudent to sabotage the machines or kill Sylver when they realized they were the sole survivors, and none of that happened.

    As for Orphiel, yes, he's up to something. But until we know more anything that we say is guesswork and personal interpretation.

  11. #11
    Telaran Perilium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Somewhere in Holland
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LordOberon View Post
    Or is she.. Basically think back to the defiant alternate timeline.. We already know parallel realities exist as seen by omen sight etc..

    Asha could have feigned the whole against Regulos thing and just bided her time.. She allows the future defiants to send away any warriors capable of resisting Regulos into an alternate timeline/reality and in the process of sending them back basically render the defiant base defenseless (as in removing their defenses due to the power requirements)..

    Who knows her little flop at the end of the defiant tutorial could be all an act as she gets up later & goes the Regulos's victory celebration... (BTW why doesn't she appear with a shadetouched buff ingame)
    You all get it all wrong about Asha Catari! Regulos didn't give her any power. He only offered her to be the general of his army, she refused and her soul was tortured by Regulos (this explains the scar) but somehow the torture has a downside for Regulos when she has been resurrected by Orphiel, her power increased greatly due the ascension and the power of Regulos which ripped her soul apart was taken with her. That's probably what happened, Regulos was not willing to give her power, he isn't that nice :3

  12. #12
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Perilium View Post
    You all get it all wrong about Asha Catari! Regulos didn't give her any power. He only offered her to be the general of his army, she refused and her soul was tortured by Regulos (this explains the scar) but somehow the torture has a downside for Regulos when she has been resurrected by Orphiel, her power increased greatly due the ascension and the power of Regulos which ripped her soul apart was taken with her. That's probably what happened, Regulos was not willing to give her power, he isn't that nice :3
    What? She says herself she got it from Regulos when he tried to get her to be the general of his army. He gave her power intending for her to use it by working for him, but she was able to resist. IIRC it even says so on the website. Nowhere does it say her power is a side-effect of her being tortured and resurrected.

  13. #13
    Prophet of Telara Skryth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,018

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lumenadducere View Post
    What? She says herself she got it from Regulos when he tried to get her to be the general of his army. He gave her power intending for her to use it by working for him, but she was able to resist. IIRC it even says so on the website. Nowhere does it say her power is a side-effect of her being tortured and resurrected.
    Tempted by oblivion

    Ten years later, the Covenant sent Asha to warn Zareph Mathos of links between his brother Aedraxis and the Endless Court. Having grown up in the Mathosian court, Asha elected to stay by Zareph’s side rather than return to the Covenant straight away. Zareph watched, heartbroken, when Aedraxis broke the Ward, and Asha was one of the countless victims to die.

    Beyond the Ward, Regulos ripped her spirit from the Soulstream, infusing her with great power as he whispered temptation after temptation, for he wanted Asha to become his general upon Telara. She refused. Enraged, Regulos attempted to destroy her, igniting the very energy he had embroidered into her soul. But Asha’s agonized spirit was suddenly pulled away, and the dread god howled in frustration.
    Arisen from the ashes

    Asha awoke, gasping for breath, within a machine in the ruins of an ancient laboratory. Her beloved tutor Orphiel Farwind stood beside her, wearing an expression of triumph. He explained that he had used the technology of the ancient Eth to return Asha to life, and that she was merely the first of many to come.

    At Orphiel’s request, Asha became his champion and second-in-command, but admitted that much of her motivation sparked from a desire for vengeance on Regulos. Orphiel realized this was not the same young woman he had known before the rifts. Glyphs of power now flared upon her dusky skin. The new Asha was calmer, quieter, and intensely focused. The headstrong, reckless girl was gone.

    Orphiel’s other followers felt the change as well, but they were not as easily accepting. Asha’s planar powers, and eventual role in the fall of Port Scion, made her a pariah to all but her closest comrades – a respected leader, but a social outcast. Yet her fellow Telarans’ unease fails to concern her. Asha is intent on her revenge, and together with Orphiel she is responsible for forming a new organization dedicated to ending the Blood Storm: the Defiant.
    I can believe that there's something fishy going on with Orphiel, but Asha? No.
    Jolly fat people are living proof that it is not possible to "laugh your *** off", though we're trying...

  14. #14
    Prophet of Telara Raynald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,136

    Default

    To get this back on track....

    --

    While Eliam by himself manages to stave off corruption, it`s clear that it was done "just barely". It took just him expanding his power against Ragnoth for Alsbeth to waltz in and snap her pretty little fingers at him.

    Atrophinius might be argued to have gone willingly after being disgraced in RotF.

    But what about their meddling of the soulstream there since you can use his horn to summon the other dead bosses? While they`re not corrupted, it`s clear that they are intended to be soon.

    Also, RoS has Warmaster Galenir who is clearly an Aelfwar (You see/hear him in xKB at the start talking to Suleng) but now serves Regulos.

    It took awhile, but Cain fell too (Spoilers!)

    Anyone any more theories?

  15. #15
    Plane Walker Sebiale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    405

    Default

    If Regulos completely focuses on a single or even just a few individuals, I;m sure that he's almost certain to corrupt them. Even Asha may have been corrupted eventually if she wasn't resurrected.
    Akylios, the Profane: "is beyond understanding. The living interest him because the tortured howls of races sound almost like music. He does not seek victory over men any more than the ocean strives against the land. One day he will simply wash all mortals away just to hear them scream their silly symphony. He was mad even before he learned all fears and secrets. There are no words for what Akylios is now."

    Laethys, Queen of Avarice: "The Gold Dragon’s flesh flows like molten metal, and diamonds are her eyes. The riches of worlds will fall through her clutches, and she will never have enough while anyone else has anything at all. Laethys will feast atop a pile of famished wretches. All will adore her alone, and she will never give them quite enough."

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts