+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reposted from general discussion. Questions about Ascension and the nature of souls

Soulwalker

Default Reposted from general discussion. Questions about Ascension and the nature of souls

So yeah, like the title stated, this is a lore related question. Well, questions.

I understand that the Guardians are the raised souls of fallen warriors, given a second life by the Vigil. The Defiant on the other hand, are cloned warriors, given a second life by means of magi-tech. That's cool.

Now then, when a Guardian is a raised, is it the same body that they had before death? Or is it a new body provided by the Vigil? Same question sorta for the Defiant. Are they a direct clone of their original form, or are Defiant more like.... "Okay, we basically created you in the image of a fallen warrior. You really have no original soul of your own". Just wondering about the nature of Ascension and how it plays a role in how people are brought back.

Also, I take it that the souls that Ascended use do not automatically grant all the knowledge of the originator of that soul. Like Shaman for example. A priest who uses the Shaman soul starts out with basic knowledge or abilities that original Shaman knew. As time progresses and they "grow into" their soul, they unlock more knowledge that the original knew. So really, other than crafting/gathering professions, none of the knowledge that an Ascended has is actually their own.

finally, not so much a lore question, but more of a wish. I really wish that there were some books based in the world of Telara. Kind of like the WoW books that are out now. It would be kinda nice.

------------------------------------------------------

^ that was what was originally posted on the other board.

Lumenadducere

* View Profile
    * View Forum Posts
    * Private Message
    * Add as Contact

Lumenadducere posted the following:

As for your question, the Guardians do have their original body when they're initially resurrected. In the opening cutscene you're being lifted out of the pile of the dead - your character died during the war and was resurrected shortly afterwards. Defiants, on the other hand, are made out of sourcestone. Well, mostly. The vast majority of their bodies are made of sourcestone, and there's a tiny little bit like a bone or finger or something attached to the sourcestone body. Through the magitech machines, the sourcestone becomes flesh and blood as it uses the actual body part. So the body is essentially a clone of the Defiants' old body, made from sourcestone which turns into actual muscle and organs. And then the souls are pulled from the soulstream to be put into the body.

As for "growing into" the soul, AFAIK there's no real in-game mechanic that explains that. Maybe attuning to the soul better or something, I dunno. But as far as mechanics go that's one of the ones that isn't explained very well by the lore, unlike death and the soul system in general. You do get the knowledge from those original souls, though - your calling is what your character was. The specifics I don't think are really defined. You could imagine or RP that your character followed one of the paths, the first one that you pick. And the rest they just draw upon from the souls.

I responded with:

The sourcestone thing seems pretty cool. I didn't quite make out that the body being lifted up by the angel was actually the body used by the Guardian. Since it was so neutral, I just kinda figured that the Vigil crafted a new body for the Ascended.

The Defiant on the other hand.... I see what you're saying, but I'm also wondering that since the body is originally sourcestone, I wonder if they can't just "program" in a specific body for the Ascended and use that. Not so much the originals body, but just one that happens to fit the need at the time. And since it's all magi-tech, I wonder how they... capture... the originals soul and allow them to live again in their sourcestone body.

Any other inputs? :3

Quote Originally Posted by Elyheim View Post
    The Defiant on the other hand.... I see what you're saying, but I'm also wondering that since the body is originally sourcestone, I wonder if they can't just "program" in a specific body for the Ascended and use that. Not so much the originals body, but just one that happens to fit the need at the time. And since it's all magi-tech, I wonder how they... capture... the originals soul and allow them to live again in their sourcestone body.

There's been no evidence of this. The process as we know it is as follows:

Sourcestone is shaped into the rough shape of a bipedal humanoid. A piece of bone (origin of the bone doesn't matter, but the bone itself will be used in the end result, so smaller bones are used) is inserted into the Sourcestone 'matrix'.

A device is used to scan to Soulstream and pick out souls. These souls can be viewed before beginning the resurrection process. If acceptable, the soul is then inserted into the Sourcestone matrix. The soul is what makes the Sourcestone reform into living flesh, based on the living body at the time of death. Thus, if Bob Smith's soul is used, the Sourcestone will reshape into Bob Smith's body (plus one random bone).

A soul must be used, or the matrix is just a rock statue. The body that's created is the body the soul previously inhabited.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

*Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

Plane Touched

Ah, see I was under the assumption that it was the bone that was the main catalyst for turning the sourcestone into flesh, not the soul itself. I thought the soul just determined the race and looks.

And yes, as far as I'm aware you need to have the original soul in order to make an Ascended. I could definitely be wrong on that, but I don't think you can just program a body and have it draw upon 3 hero souls for power.

Defiant is a new body and the Guardian is the same body. Perhaps this link will help you out. It's a very informative lore site.

Also as you gain affinity, or become more attuned with your souls you become more powerful. This translates OOC'ly to putting points into skills as you level.

Affinity is a term used to explain how in tune, or how much spiritual attunement you have with a given soul. The higher your affinity level with a soul, the more power you draw from the souls you've obtained. In game terms this is reflected on how you personally spend your points in a soul tree.
    Lore FAQ 2

+ Reply to Thread