+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How many planes are there?

Default How many planes are there?

I am not sure if this has ever been brought up but I noticed something strange in Meridian's College of Planar Studies.

In the back of the college is a spinning sphere. There are several colored spheres orbiting around the globe. Because the color of the sphere match the colors of the know planes, one can assume the larger sphere is Telara with the smaller ones being the one of the various known planes. My theory is that they planes are celestial bodies that orbit Telara. If from these bodies that our planar foes come from. In the picture you can see there is an unknown celestial body spotted near the sun in the picture.

http://i.imgur.com/CEcbQ.jpg

But something is not quite right. Look closely at what appears to be the the planes of water, fire, and life. Not only do they orbit the sphere that I think represents Telara, the planes have bodies orbiting them. The smaller spheres are only white in color but clearly circle around their parent sphere. I also find it interesting that there is a ring around the biggest sphere, Telara. Does this ring represent the Ward?

http://i.imgur.com/KZpGB.jpg

Yes correct but may be more in future, but no idea what they may be called.

Plane Touched

There's a NPC that says that that thing isn't actually what the planes are like, it's just a visual representation. The planes aren't quite celestial bodies that orbit Telara.

As for how many there are, I'm not sure. It's certainly feasible that there are others, perhaps peripherally tied to the ones we know of, that we'll discover later. Maybe planes not directly representing the elements but representing some aspect of them. There really aren't a whole lot of NPCs with dialog on that subject, and I really wish they'd add more, particularly in the next patch. I'm fairly impressed with Trion's content releases up to this point (even if I dislike the content that is being added, but that's a different topic), but the release of lore has been sorely lacking. Here's hoping we get some in 1.3.

Rift Master

Aren't planes more like alternate dimensions? I always thought that this machine was just a display of celestial bodies that were influencing the strength of the planes and the strength of the veil upon them.
    So there might be more rifts/invasions during certain celestial formations.

Like... imagine if the death spere were at one side of Telara and at the same time all of the spheres were on the back-side...

Quote Originally Posted by rofltehcat View Post
    Aren't planes more like alternate dimensions? I always thought that this machine was just a display of celestial bodies that were influencing the strength of the planes and the strength of the veil upon them.
    So there might be more rifts/invasions during certain celestial formations.

Like... imagine if the death spere were at one side of Telara and at the same time all of the spheres were on the back-side...
    Sorry, but no. Like Lumen said, it's just a visual representation of the planes and how they're interacting with each other and Telara. There's no physical celestial bodies that correspond to it. It's just rather difficult to display the interaction between dimensions with solid objects, since planar interaction is more like 'overlapping' than 'orbiting'.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

*Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

There's 6 KNOWN planes, but some NPC's speculate that there are others no one knows about. For example, where do the vigil live? Maybe they have their own plane. The plane of Creation or something.

The main issue is that, presumably, any newly discovered planes will follow the 'classical elements' theme of the others; Fire, Water, Earth, Air, Life, Death.

Now, F/W/E/A are the four basic ones you see all over. It's the 'fifth element' that's usually up for grabs. Different cultures or philosophers have named it 'the Void', 'Thought', 'Sound', 'Space', 'Light/Dark', 'Heaven', etc. However, 'Void' is too similar to 'Death', and I'm not sure how a 'Thought' or 'Sound' rift would look.

We also have the similar set which is Chinese elements; Fire, Earth, Water, Metal and Wood. But 'Wood', in Rift, already falls under the Life Plane, so that's out. And metal constructs also appear in Earth Rifts.

We also kiiiinda have 'Time Rifts', in the form of Slivers. Perhaps some form of 'Light Rift'; some of the Vigil's Messengers get corrupted by Regulos or some such?
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

Quote Originally Posted by Xerokine View Post
    The main issue is that, presumably, any newly discovered planes will follow the 'classical elements' theme of the others; Fire, Water, Earth, Air, Life, Death.

Now, F/W/E/A are the four basic ones you see all over. It's the 'fifth element' that's usually up for grabs. Different cultures or philosophers have named it 'the Void', 'Thought', 'Sound', 'Space', 'Light/Dark', 'Heaven', etc. However, 'Void' is too similar to 'Death', and I'm not sure how a 'Thought' or 'Sound' rift would look.

We also have the similar set which is Chinese elements; Fire, Earth, Water, Metal and Wood. But 'Wood', in Rift, already falls under the Life Plane, so that's out. And metal constructs also appear in Earth Rifts.

We also kiiiinda have 'Time Rifts', in the form of Slivers. Perhaps some form of 'Light Rift'; some of the Vigil's Messengers get corrupted by Regulos or some such?
    The fifth element was a good movie.

Incoming valentines event idea: Love rift. O_o The sky and ground turn pink and swarms of happy Cherubim descend en masse shooting people in the face.

The fifth element was love right? I got kinda lost at the end.
    Last edited by Sinndel; 06-05-2011 at 06:44 AM.

Really, with what Pacoxi said and looking at the orrery, we seem to have smaller 'sub-planes' orbiting the primary planes. So we could do sub-sections of each type, if we really wanted.

For example, the primary Water Plane may have a secondary 'Ice Plane' drifting around it. The Air Plane may have a nearby 'Lightning Plane', or 'Storm Plane'. The Earth Plane may have a 'Metal Plane', or a 'Gem Plane'. And so on and so forth.

+ Reply to Thread