+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 43

Thread: Can Ascendants Revive Non-Ascendants?

  1. #1
    Rift Disciple DxMxD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    187

    Default Can Ascendants Revive Non-Ascendants?

    Can Ascendants Revive Non-Ascendants or is being able to come back to life an ability that is only able to be used between Ascendant's?

    Even with an ascendant attempting to revive them?

  2. #2
    Plane Walker Xerokine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DxMxD View Post
    Can Ascendants Revive Non-Ascendants or is being able to come back to life an ability that is only able to be used between Ascendant's?

    Even with an ascendant attempting to revive them?
    Anyone can be brought back to life. Mortal or Ascended, via prayer or magic or Resurrection Forges.

    Ascended just do it better. They can reinhabit their own body on their own; they have the power of three souls, with all the knowledge and power that implies, in one body. They have unique powers, such as Soul Recall, empowering Sourcestones, seeing Slivers; that mortals don't have.

    But just coming back from the dead? That's nothing special.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

    *Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

  3. #3
    Ascendant Sinndel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xerokine View Post
    Anyone can be brought back to life. Mortal or Ascended, via prayer or magic or Resurrection Forges.

    Ascended just do it better. They can reinhabit their own body on their own; they have the power of three souls, with all the knowledge and power that implies, in one body. They have unique powers, such as Soul Recall, empowering Sourcestones, seeing Slivers; that mortals don't have.

    But just coming back from the dead? That's nothing special.
    This is wrong. Only ascended can be ressurected. Otherwise no one would really care about the monsters that kill people.

    Lulz Brody McFabertin got eatin by a spider again, lets res him so we can tease him about it.
    Last edited by Sinndel; 06-01-2011 at 02:57 PM.

  4. #4
    Telaran Cerelas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    98

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    This is wrong. Only ascended can be ressurected. Otherwise no one would really care about the monsters that kill people.

    Lulz Brody McFabertin got eatin by a spider again, lets res him so we can tease him about it.
    Sorry sir, you're dead wrong. Using common sense, you'd think you'd be right, but Defiant have been able to resurrect with technology and Guardians have been able to resurrect with spells for a long time.

    Think of this, how are healers able to resurrect? No spells or abilities are ascended powers other than planar lure, soul walk, and the amount of skills/talents they can have due to having more than one soul. Clerics have been able to poofyeralive for a long, long time now.

    Yes, Brody McFabertin can get made fun of for being eaten by a spider after he's rezzed, makes for funny rp situations imo.

    Edit: Also, people care about monsters killing people because they will take over the world, and destroy it. It takes a cleric to be there to rez guardians, and ratio of clerics to guardians isn't flattering, while it takes considerable resources and the culture to support defiant resurrection, much more unstable imo, the threat of wiping out the rezzers of either side is enough to take up arms, nevermind the threat of the end of the world. If you've been rp crying due to human deaths, yer doin it wrong.
    Last edited by Cerelas; 06-01-2011 at 05:24 PM.
    Grievance, Ethian Chloromaster, Leader of <Chaos>
    +Rithius, +Aro
    How to have rational discussions

  5. #5
    Plane Walker Xerokine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    This is wrong. Only ascended can be ressurected. Otherwise no one would really care about the monsters that kill people.

    Lulz Brody McFabertin got eatin by a spider again, lets res him so we can tease him about it.
    Resurrection is possible for anyone, not just Ascended. This is lore. Orphiel resurrected many people trying to duplicate what happened with Asha, but none of them were Ascended. Even Asha is not technically Ascended; her powers come from her Brand of Regulos, not from multiple souls.

    However, while it is possible, it is not easy. You need a king's fortune in Sourcestone to use a Resurrection Forge; enough pure Sourcestone to carve out a human body. This is not cheap. The Vigil rarely answer a Prayer of Revival, and do so for their own reasons, not those of people.

    It's not something you do casually or every afternoon; only Ascended die with apathy and come back to life with a yawn. But any Tom, ****, or Harry can be brought back from the dead, if you have the Vigil's favour or the gold and technology to pull it off.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

    *Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

  6. #6
    Telaran Cerelas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    98

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xerokine View Post
    Resurrection is possible for anyone, not just Ascended. This is lore. Orphiel resurrected many people trying to duplicate what happened with Asha, but none of them were Ascended. Even Asha is not technically Ascended; her powers come from her Brand of Regulos, not from multiple souls.

    However, while it is possible, it is not easy. You need a king's fortune in Sourcestone to use a Resurrection Forge; enough pure Sourcestone to carve out a human body. This is not cheap. The Vigil rarely answer a Prayer of Revival, and do so for their own reasons, not those of people.

    It's not something you do casually or every afternoon; only Ascended die with apathy and come back to life with a yawn. But any Tom, ****, or Harry can be brought back from the dead, if you have the Vigil's favour or the gold and technology to pull it off.
    Can you outline, sources or not, how guardians treat revival? You say 'Vigil rarely answers a Prayer of Revival' what is that? I've only found info making the whole revival thing make sense on defiant side, requiring tonza wealth to actually execute it, but nothing on Guardian side.

    Because I was under the impression that normal humans could resurrect other normal humans guardian side. Nothing to do with the Vigil, the Vigil hasn't been seen or heard of for 1500 years, does this mean no guardian's been resurrected while defiants have had the power over them?

    There's also a spell, from a previous person's soul, that can resurrect the dead, which would lead me to believe the first purifier could resurrect, etc.
    Grievance, Ethian Chloromaster, Leader of <Chaos>
    +Rithius, +Aro
    How to have rational discussions

  7. #7
    Plane Walker Xerokine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cerelas View Post
    Can you outline, sources or not, how guardians treat revival?
    Nope. Haven't had the chance to check out much Guardian-side yet, so that was a complete assumption. I'd assume that something is limiting their ability to revive, otherwise we'd run into the above scenario of, you know, no one ever dying of anything except old age.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

    *Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

  8. #8
    Soulwalker Lifael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    15

    Default

    I've quested around quite a bit (although not completely), and I have not yet seen mention of the vigil resurrecting people by any means other than ascension.

    The only reference I have is fluff dialogue from the non-ascended adventurer in the guild hall, who says something to the tune of nobody wanting to take him along because he can "only die once".

    Considering also how traumatised the high elves were by the death of their comrades in Mathosia, it does not seem possible Guardian-side from what I can see.

  9. #9
    Telaran Cerelas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    98

    Default

    Wow, maybe that's one of the prime reasons it took so long for Guardians to defeat the Defiant, even with ascended. They kept coming back!

    On another note, if they can resurrect with a simple spell, that spell would've been cast only by some of the most powerful casters, there would not be many of them at all. I expect MUCH more lore to come out, seeing as the lore they've set up has so many holes. We can only wait and see.
    Grievance, Ethian Chloromaster, Leader of <Chaos>
    +Rithius, +Aro
    How to have rational discussions

  10. #10
    Ascendant Tachi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lifael View Post
    I've quested around quite a bit (although not completely), and I have not yet seen mention of the vigil resurrecting people by any means other than ascension.

    The only reference I have is fluff dialogue from the non-ascended adventurer in the guild hall, who says something to the tune of nobody wanting to take him along because he can "only die once".

    Considering also how traumatised the high elves were by the death of their comrades in Mathosia, it does not seem possible Guardian-side from what I can see.

    Yeah, this is my problem with the non-Ascended resurrection theory as well. It just doesn't seem to be supported well. It does seem likely, though, that the first ones to learn a healing skill who was not an Ascended should have been able to resurrect, or was that a skill that was only learned by Ascended of that class? Also, are the only one's left who can resurrect Ascended?

    Defiant side, if the forges do still exist, then I can't see them using their sourcestone to res anyone and everyone, because of the need for the stone in the war machines and what not. So where it may be possible to use the forges (again if they even exist in this timeline) to res, I just don't see it happening.

  11. #11
    Rift Disciple Cathca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    191

    Default

    The way I see it, there are serious problems with the theory that resurrection is as trivial as it is in mechanics. I could see resurrection spells being known by mortals, but at least one (probably all) of these has to be true to avoid the problems you'd run into otherwise:

    - The spell is incredibly complex.
    - It requires extraordinary/hard-to-find reagents.
    - It is not very reliable even if executed flawlessly.
    - Even when it does work, there's a possibility that the person you get back comes back... different. (Necromancy, for instance)

    Resurrection spells have to work as they do for players out of mechanical necessity. I doubt it's anywhere near that simple in terms of lore. Some official word on this would be awesome.

  12. #12
    Soulwalker Lifael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Rushing into Hylas’s arms, Shyla found them… cold. While others might take their beloved’s wholesome return from the grave as a miracle, Hylas seemed alternately sickened by and jealous of Shyla’s Ascended status.

    I went looking a little more, and found that passage on Shyla's character page.

    I believe it pretty much seals that resurrection was not possible before 20 years ago. After all, if it had been possible, her return would not have been expected to be seen as a miracle. Remember: Shyla is an important figure, both religiously and politically, and if any means of resurrection had existed, they would have been available to be used on her.

    However, the passage very clearly implies that it is expected Hylas should have thought of her return as a miracle. Would this expectation have been present if resurrection had been possible? I think not.

  13. #13
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    23

    Default

    There is a non-Ascended Adventurer NPC in... Gloamwood Pines, if memory serves, that mentions that no one wants to take him into a group because no one wants to travel with someone who can only die once.

    Non-Ascended cannot be resurrected. Once dead, they're dead.

  14. #14
    Plane Walker Xerokine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Psienesis View Post
    Non-Ascended cannot be resurrected. Once dead, they're dead.
    Except we know that's not true; at least for Defiant.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

    *Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

  15. #15
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    23

    Default

    All of the resurrected Defiants are Ascended. Asha Catari (and most NPC Defiant Ascended) is Ascended 1.0, having just her original soul, whereas all of the player are Ascended 2.0, with multiple souls and the ability to be brought back by Resurrection Technicians.

    If you're following the lore of the game to the hilt, you aren't even in the original body that you were born with. They construct a body for you and attach some small bit, like a finger-bone, from your original corpse in order to have a functioning body to house your soul matrix in. It's called this because it's not even your original soul, just a mish-mash of several others they've condensed into one to fill you up with. Kind of like topping off a liquor bottle with water.

    Ascension is not the sole purview of the Vigil, the Defiant have the technology to replicate its effects, if not through quite the same manner. Now calling us the "Machine-Born", the non-Ascended Defiants recognize us as the results of the pinnacle of tech-arcane developments.
    Last edited by Psienesis; 06-03-2011 at 12:32 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts