+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can non-Ascendents have Ascension powers?

Default Can non-Ascendents have Ascension powers?

So a few people have been bringing up the idea of playing a character in-game that has Ascension powers but isn't an Ascended. Would love any point of reference how this is possible (if at all.) Thanks!

Shadowlander

Non-Ascended are a prickly issue, so we shoudl try limit threads on them as many find them detrimental to rp.

Speaking as a non-ascended player, we can't have the same powers as ascended in serveral ways.

We only have one soul, so you can only use one souls abilities as a non-ascended, rather than three. You also can't use things like planar lures. Also, you can only die once in character, as non-ascended don't get resurrected (at least that's my impression).

As a non-ascended you will most likely be very afraid of rifts, in awe of ascended characters, and keep out of combat to the best of your ability.

Now, this isn't aimed at anyone in particular, and not meant as an insult, but I just have to say, purely as my subjective opinion not aimed at offending or hurting anyone...

That is the most demented idea I have ever heard.

What's next? Playing Ascended characters as non-Ascended with Ascended powers but without being titled Ascended, yet also being immortal but not in the same way as Ascended, and being able to gather souls captured by Regulos despite not being Ascended, yet being able to activate shrines that require Ascended power but claiming it happened because the gods intervined, plus opening rifts from tears by virtue of accident every time and remaining to fight them but calling for help due to not being an Ascended, yet somehow managing to survive long enough to fight off an invasion but act wounded, yet manage to heal up simply by drinking a refreshing drink and then going back to work at the local tavern as a lowly wage slave?

Oh, and so as to actually add a constructive reply on-topic since I didn't realize right away that this is the Lore Discussion section and not the RP section: no, non-Ascended have no Ascended powers and have no way of getting them.

Guardian Ascended are raised from the dead and empowered by the gods while Defiant Ascended are built in life pods and sent from the future with multiple souls in them.
    Last edited by Shadow Master; 05-27-2011 at 12:05 PM.
    In you they placed their faith, their hope and their power...
    You are our salvation...
    You are a Guardian!

I don't want to start a thread only to see people flame. I want to know if there are any out of game, or in-game, material that would suggest it's remotely possible. My personal opinions aside, I would like to clarify the issue for new RPers =)

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinRedux View Post
    Non-Ascended are a prickly issue, so we shoudl try limit threads on them as many find them detrimental to rp.

Speaking as a non-ascended player, we can't have the same powers as ascended in serveral ways.

We only have one soul, so you can only use one souls abilities as a non-ascended, rather than three. You also can't use things like planar lures. Also, you can only die once in character, as non-ascended don't get resurrected (at least that's my impression).

As a non-ascended you will most likely be very afraid of rifts, in awe of ascended characters, and keep out of combat to the best of your ability.
    I play pve so excuse my ignorance.

When you p,ay like this on a RP server and you die for any reason, do you the start again?

I must admit I am a D2 hc player, as I think it's the only way to play that game and really have to think a bit more before wading in ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Elgarr View Post
    I play pve so excuse my ignorance.

When you p,ay like this on a RP server and you die for any reason, do you the start again?
    I would think, from a lore standpoint, they'd only start again if their soul was chosen... wait. I don't get it :/ I would think you'd have to delete your char >.<

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Master View Post
    Guardian Ascended are raised from the dead and empowered by the gods while Defiant Ascended are built in life pods and sent from the future with multiple souls in them.
    Partially right. Technically only one Defiant Ascended came from the future (you) all the others were made with the formulas that Ascended brought back.
    People use the words "casual" and "bad" interchangeably, when in reality we should not. A casual player in an mmo is someone who plays the game but due to outside events cannot play it for long periods of time. A bad is a player who stands in the fire, ignores boss mechanics, complains about the former, makes nonsensical statements, wants to be pandered to, and all around tanks most mmos.

Its like if I pay to take a college course that I know is supposed to be hard and instead of taking it, I complain and bother the professors that it is to hard. I dont study, I dont practice, I just complain. After all I am paying for the course so I should get an A+.

I have not see mmos go harder only easier. I dont think for a second that trion is "pandering to the casuals that ruin our games", no I think it is that trion is making mistakes and feels that the bads who play their game for 3 months and leave are worth more than those who play for the entirety of its life.

-Robertosaget

I don't believe it to be possible for non-Ascended to have Ascended power. If they could then why would Ascended be needed to begin with? Just empower some regular citizens and let them fight invasions and whatnot.

I think non-Ascended can be talented and really good at what they do but that's about it. Like the original founders of classes weren't Ascended, but had some major event happen in their lives that helped them master their power.

Quote Originally Posted by Hecate's Lover View Post
    Partially right. Technically only one Defiant Ascended came from the future (you) all the others were made with the formulas that Ascended brought back.
    Isn't that contradictory? Since there's several thousand of us?

Quote Originally Posted by Hecate's Lover View Post
    Wrong. Lots of Defiant Ascended came back from the future just like lots of Guardian Ascended came from the past.

I don't understand why people seem to purposefully confuse what happens in the starting area.

Both factions have armies of Ascended and neither had only one Ascended.

You were not the only Ascended that helped destroy Regulos in Mathosia; you did it with an army of others.
    You were not the only Ascended that helped clear the path and ready the Failsafe Device; you did it with an army of others.

You could argue that you were the last or most important figure out of all the Ascended, but that's no different from dungeons or quests to kill named NPCs, which are simply not mentioned in-character.

The fact is that the starting areas make it very clear that there are many Ascended on both sides in Mathosia and in the future at the Life Factory. You are not the only one in either case. Don't get all cynical about a bit of flavor added to the starting zones that appeals to every player personally much like dungeons or unique quests.
    Last edited by Shadow Master; 05-27-2011 at 08:37 PM.
    In you they placed their faith, their hope and their power...
    You are our salvation...
    You are a Guardian!

Quote Originally Posted by Elgarr View Post
    Coming back from the dead isn't an Ascended-only ability. Anyone can be revived via a prayer to the Vigil or by using a Resurrection Forge. Orphiel is mentioned as using the Forges to revive several people, but only Asha came back with any powers - and hers was a unique situation.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

*Antaeus, Defiant Kelari - Faeblight RP-PvE
    Now available: Telara, as seen through screenshots of varying quality.

Shadowlander

Oh nifty! I didn't know that, that's a pretty handy thing to know if you play non-ascended, also it might explain how many npcs come back to life. But I think you'd have to assume they only resurrect important non-ascended, so if your character is a barmaid it's unlikely they'll get resurrected unless some friends hijack a device. Also I think it's possible for ascended clerics and chloromancers to bring you back from the dead if you died recently enough, judging by the skills they have.

The important thing to realise if you want to rp a non-ascended is you can't be as powerful as an ascended. You can be powerful, we meet lots of powerful non-ascended like Slyver and such, but you can't be as strong as other players who are ascended, and we cannot use many of their powers.

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinRedux View Post
    But I think you'd have to assume they only resurrect important non-ascended, so if your character is a barmaid it's unlikely they'll get resurrected unless some friends hijack a device.
    Well, the Defiant's Resurrection Forges require a body carved out of sourcestone to use as a base. Sourcestone, even now with all the rifts opening, is still extremely rare and extremely expensive. So it's not something you could use en masse to revive anyone who dies. Especially now, with Ascended; all the available sourcestone is either being used to power necessary magitech, used to revive valuable Ascended, used to create new Ascended, etc etc.
    "I get up early. And I don't go to bed until I've made some very poor decisions."

Does the Forge still exist in this timeline, or was it destroyed by Guardians?

Quote Originally Posted by Tachi View Post
    Does the Forge still exist in this timeline, or was it destroyed by Guardians?
    In the Terminus timeline, many Life Factories, complete with Resurrection Forges, were discovered. They were used as hidden bunkers after Meridian was destroyed by the Guardians; though only the one below Terminus survived long enough to create Ascended before Telara was destroyed by Regulos.

As far as I know, none of the Factories or the Forges have been found or destroyed by Guardians in the current timeline. Their location seems to be a very well-kept secret, given how the Guardians never found them in the future, even after Meridian's destruction.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast