Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 69

Thread: Cookie cutter races?

  1. #1
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    290

    Default Cookie cutter races?

    Am I to believe that everyone believes that each individual of any given race must uphold the reputation of their race and not forge their own path? I'm not completely familiar with the Guardian races but on the Defiant side it seems that ALL Bahmi RP'ers SHOULD act a certain way just as Kelari and Eth should act a certain way. Am I breaking some unknown rule in the lore when I create my characters to be unique individuals?

  2. #2
    Plane Walker Shadow Master's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    435

    Default

    Uhhh, what gave you that impression?

    Take Guardians, for instance.
    Their general motto is, "I wasn't chosen for my faith."
    This means that they are the epitome of gray characters: they can be anything, from vile necromancers to holy paladins, just as long as you work that into following the path the gods placed before you (even if you aren't quite sure what that path is yet, which is a valid character concept too judging by how vague communication with the gods is).

    Defiant are even more so gray since they're just magitech wielding heretics who are trying to save the world, which can be done by pursuing any sort of power or means.

    As for character/dialect, well, it really depends to which extent and how you've "altered" the stereotype.
    In you they placed their faith, their hope and their power...
    You are our salvation...
    You are a Guardian!

  3. #3
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Master View Post
    Uhhh, what gave you that impression?
    *shrug* Personal experience? Between OOC discussions about my own Character(s) and listening and partaking in the discussion of other's characters. Even the amount of flack towards those who choose to RP as non-ascended just seems astounding.

  4. #4
    Plane Walker Shadow Master's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    435

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Geriko View Post
    *shrug* Personal experience? Between OOC discussions about my own Character(s) and listening and partaking in the discussion of other's characters. Even the amount of flack towards those who choose to RP as non-ascended just seems astounding.
    Oh, well, being non-Ascended isn't a character trait, it's a technical fact.

    All playable characters are Ascended.

    Doesn't make much sense to RP as non-Ascended because then EVERYTHING in the entire game world, every piece of flavor text aimed at your character from every NPC, every effect from various interactive objects, etc. needs to be taken out of character.

    Not hard to see how that would turn everyone away from you since, you know, RP is done in the game world, not against the game world.

    You can play down the Ascended status as a Guardian, be far from this shining heroic paladin or cleric, hell, even be a thief or whatnot and say that your character was brought back with some purpose connected with his "proficiencies," but you still remain Ascended.
    Same with the Defiant: whether you're this vigorous warrior or some thug, you came back from the future via the time machine and from the Ascended test tubes in the future, so you're Ascended.

    That's the benefit of how gray and flexible Ascended are, yet they're still Ascended, regardless of how vague or seemingly insignificant their role is, since in the end, "I was brought back for a reason, even if I'm not sure what that reason is, so deal with it."
    Last edited by Shadow Master; 05-22-2011 at 12:45 AM.
    In you they placed their faith, their hope and their power...
    You are our salvation...
    You are a Guardian!

  5. #5
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Master View Post
    Oh, well, being non-Ascended isn't a character trait, it's a technical fact.

    All playable characters are Ascended.

    Doesn't make much sense to RP as non-Ascended because then EVERYTHING in the entire game world, every piece of flavor text aimed at your character from every NPC, every effect from various interactive objects, etc. needs to be taken out of character.

    Not hard to see how that would turn everyone away from you since, you know, RP is done in the game world, not against the game world.

    You can play down the Ascended status as a Guardian, be far from this shining heroic paladin or cleric, hell, even be a thief or whatnot and say that your character was brought back with some purpose connected with his "proficiencies," but you still remain Ascended.
    Same with the Defiant: whether you're this vigorous warrior or some thug, you came back from the future via the time machine and from the Ascended test tubes in the future, so you're Ascended.

    That's the benefit of how gray and flexible Ascended are, yet they're still Ascended, regardless of how vague or seemingly insignificant their role is, since in the end, "I was brought back for a reason, even if I'm not sure what that reason is, so deal with it."
    You seem to have tossed every single role player into one large pile and tossed them into the pot. Have you considered how many people ignore all those aspects when they play their characters? Like I assume in your eyes a person must be ascended because all things IG point out that fact but if this Ascended were to kill some elite rare boss or complete one of the story quests they MUST ignore that right? Just due to the fact that you would have hundreds of RP'ers all stating they have beaten back the hordes and aided Asha or Kain in some valiant task?

    Not everyone wants to be a superhero when they play an MMO. Not everyone wants to be like everybody else. I'm told WoW had many "Mary-Sues" and this of course is a title nobody who understands it's meaning would wish upon themselves yet here in this game I see people getting bashed for the complete opposite. Somebody wants to play out the role of a host/hostess in a Tavern who secretly gathers information on her/his clientele, a person who is not special and powerful. A mortal.

    I just find it astounding is all. Some may agree many might not *shrug*

  6. #6
    Ascendant Sinndel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,537

    Default

    Sounds like you're looking for a game called second life.

  7. #7
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    48

    Default

    I play a non-ascended character and I enjoy it. When I do questing and killing mobs I do so oocly. It works just fine for me and if anybody was nasty to me about it (nobody has been yet) I'd just tell them I can rp however I like. I am shocked to hear that there is people who are nasty to non-ascended, I've never encountered that before on Faeblight.

    As for cookie-cutter races, if people tell you a race must act in a certain way just ignore them. Being ascended and acting in a certain racial fashion are suggestions imo, not givens. It is unrealstic to expect everybody in an entire race to act exactly the same way.

  8. #8
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    Sounds like you're looking for a game called second life.
    Look's like you need to learn to read pal.

    I have met only a few non-ascended on Faeblight but none of them had issues, I had a non-Ascended on Estrael, that's where I had issues. Basically I was getting slammed in the same fashion with similar words to what "Shadow Master" said. Turned the channel into a few hour debate heh.

  9. #9
    Ascendant Sinndel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Geriko View Post
    Look's like you need to learn to read pal.

    I have met only a few non-ascended on Faeblight but none of them had issues, I had a non-Ascended on Estrael, that's where I had issues. Basically I was getting slammed in the same fashion with similar words to what "Shadow Master" said. Turned the channel into a few hour debate heh.
    I read fine, thanks. Looks like you need to learn to RP.

  10. #10
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    48

    Default

    I think we should all be careful here so this doesn't disolve into a big fight which achieves nothing.

    In the end, if you don't like non-ascended rpers, I dont understand but if that's how you feel, just avoid us. There's no need to lecture or say we don't know how to rp. Rp anyway is just taking upon a role and if I want to take upon the role of a more average person in a fantasical world I have every right to do so.

  11. #11
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    I read fine, thanks. Looks like you need to learn to RP.
    If you had even bothered to READ you would have noted that I was not referring to myself.


    Quote Originally Posted by PenguinRedux View Post
    I think we should all be careful here so this doesn't disolve into a big fight which achieves nothing.

    In the end, if you don't like non-ascended rpers, I dont understand but if that's how you feel, just avoid us. There's no need to lecture or say we don't know how to rp. Rp anyway is just taking upon a role and if I want to take upon the role of a more average person in a fantasical world I have every right to do so.
    Your right and all this thread has proved is that ego's flourish in RP just as well as in PvP and other aspects. Some goof tells me or anyone to learn to RP without having any direct experience with that person is darn near trollish. People tend to treat others like garbage when they don't share the same views and beliefs. All hail humanity at it's finest.
    Last edited by Geriko; 05-22-2011 at 06:20 PM.

  12. #12
    Plane Walker Shadow Master's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    435

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PenguinRedux View Post
    I think we should all be careful here so this doesn't disolve into a big fight which achieves nothing.

    In the end, if you don't like non-ascended rpers, I dont understand but if that's how you feel, just avoid us. There's no need to lecture or say we don't know how to rp. Rp anyway is just taking upon a role and if I want to take upon the role of a more average person in a fantasical world I have every right to do so.
    It's easy to say "avoid us."

    You know who else says that? Bubble RPers.
    The ones who seclude themselves into their reclusive bubbles and completely ignore everyone and everything around them and expect to be left alone as if they aren't part of the persistent game world.
    RP in MMOs entails being part of the game world and reacting to anything and everything in it.

    Also, it makes no sense comparing not mentioning dungeon content in-character due to its static nature and ignoring literally everything that happens to your character in this entire game due to their ascended status.

    The fact of the matter is that yes, you can RP non-Ascended, but for that you will be shunned and disliked by many because:
    • a) You're ignoring the entire persistent game world and everything that happens to your character in it
    • b) You're trying to make yourself into some sort of special snowflake
    • c) You're bubble RPing (say, someone notices some sort of Ascended-caused effect triggered by you due to proximity to a shrine or something; you demand people ignore it, thus destroying their immersion and destroying potential RP)

    I mean, surely, you aren't so much of a bleeding heart liberal that you think people owe you unlimited tolerance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Geriko View Post
    People tend to treat others like garbage when they don't share the same views and beliefs. All hail humanity at it's finest.
    Oh, wait, you are.

    Funny though that you would use that kind of reasoning, considering that it's you who is going against the flow and ruining others' gameplay with your demands for special treatment.
    In you they placed their faith, their hope and their power...
    You are our salvation...
    You are a Guardian!

  13. #13
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Master View Post
    It's easy to say "avoid us."

    You know who else says that? Bubble RPers.
    The ones who seclude themselves into their reclusive bubbles and completely ignore everyone and everything around them and expect to be left alone as if they aren't part of the persistent game world.
    RP in MMOs entails being part of the game world and reacting to anything and everything in it.

    Also, it makes no sense comparing not mentioning dungeon content in-character due to its static nature and ignoring literally everything that happens to your character in this entire game due to their ascended status.

    The fact of the matter is that yes, you can RP non-Ascended, but for that you will be shunned and disliked by many because:
    • a) You're ignoring the entire persistent game world and everything that happens to your character in it
    • b) You're trying to make yourself into some sort of special snowflake
    • c) You're bubble RPing (say, someone notices some sort of Ascended-caused effect triggered by you due to proximity to a shrine or something; you demand people ignore it, thus destroying their immersion and destroying potential RP)

    I mean, surely, you aren't so much of a bleeding heart liberal that you think people owe you unlimited tolerance?



    Oh, wait, you are.

    Funny though that you would use that kind of reasoning, considering that it's you who is going against the flow and ruining others' gameplay with your demands for special treatment.
    What.... in the hell are you talking about? Who's gameplay am I ruining and how? Also..what demands have I made based on what special treatment? Your assumption skills are amazing!

  14. #14
    tau
    tau is offline
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    353

    Default

    Uriel Chuluun speaks patois so Bahmi must be Jamaicans

  15. #15
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Master View Post

    The fact of the matter is that yes, you can RP non-Ascended, but for that you will be shunned and disliked by many because:
    • a) You're ignoring the entire persistent game world and everything that happens to your character in it
    • b) You're trying to make yourself into some sort of special snowflake
    • c) You're bubble RPing (say, someone notices some sort of Ascended-caused effect triggered by you due to proximity to a shrine or something; you demand people ignore it, thus destroying their immersion and destroying potential RP)

    I mean, surely, you aren't so much of a bleeding heart liberal that you think people owe you unlimited tolerance?


    .
    Okay, lets not be aggressive here, calling people entitled or bleeding heart liberals is uncalled for. My argument to you is I don't ruin anybodies rp. I don't rp bubble for one thing, I like to go out into the world and act almost as a quest giver, getting ascended to help me with things a normal person might not be able to do alone. So far nobody has shunned or disliked me, and I think anyone who did would be being unreasonable. I think it's fair to say you're in the minority over this peeve.

    As for the whole special snowflake thing, I think this is quite the opposite, I like to be a regular person, not a hero from the future. I'm not ignoring the game world either, my character reacts to rift invasions as you would expect somebody too, they react to meeting powerful ascended. And when I do ooc questing I do so- as I just said, oocly. I don't have to rp constantly and if you're saying it's a bad thing to go ooc then your criticising the majority of rpers.

    I think your logic is flawed when it comes to hating/disliking non-ascended. You say that by going against what the game tells us, we are ruining it for everybody else. How we are ruining it for everybody else I can't fathom, the absolute worst that could happen is like the scenario you said, where I suddenly glow near a shrine or something, I would just politely ask them to ignore that oocly. That doesn't ruin rp for them, it just means they retcon a single comment, hardly the end of the world.

    Anyway- back to the whole we're going against what the game tells us, the game tells us that we're the heroes that slew Jakub, therefore by rping an ascended Defiant character who didn't slay Jakub, you are, at least to you, as bad as a non-ascended. What if somebody said "Oh wow, remember the time you slew Jakub?" does that ruin the rp immersion for everybody too? The game tells us also that reavers are bloodthisty in battle, as a reaver class do you have to always be bloodthirsty in battle?

    The death of rp is trying to ruin character individuality, whether it be cookie cutter races, or making everybody an ascended, or every Defiant scorn the Gods. At the end of the day, the only thing worse than Mary Sues is people thinking they have the authority to tell everybody else how to enjoy their rp experience, on the off chance that you mildly annoy them.

    So yes, I'm telling you that if you dislike non-ascended rpers, ignore them and avoid us. You can't expect everybody to change to avoid your pet peeve, and being unpleasant to people who choose to rp like that is just downright unfair. The worst we can do for you is mildly jar your immersion once in a while, but no more than say a non rper running by and jumping over a table, or somebody nearby having an ooc conversation.

    Okay, I'm done. I think we should maybe close this thread soon before it devolves into a flame war.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts